Chapter 5 Cutscene + 15 Minutes gameplay footage in English

RidellCrimea

I hope it isn't like my last DnD session. Character got transported into another universe.

Urgh, tell me about it. My last experience with the Deck of Salt Inducement involved losing 4 points of intelligence (as a Wizard T.T), being forced to draw another card and having all my magic items disintegrated (at level 17). I may or may not have set the cards we were using on fire after we were done.

I think I might be the only one who's overall satisfied with Xander's voice. But it's probably because his voice in the Smash vid set a pretty low bar for me, so anything better than that is instantly acceptable. I still very much prefer baritone Marx, but at least I'm able to cope with his English voice now. I really like his voice and delivery when he says "We're your family" this time, sounds much better than the one we heard before.

To me, it just seems that people were expecting something more along the lines of his Japanese voice, especially in terms of pitch. Don't get me wrong, liking the Japanese voices better is a perfectly valid preference, but most of the complaints I've seen have been "it's not as deep as the Japanese VA".

Edited by Phillius

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by this. While Xander's voice bugged me (he needs a deeper voice dammit), and Hinoka's voice was... ehhh, the other voices I actually heard/paid attention to were done well. Ryoma's, Leo's, Garon's, and Yukimura's were excellent in particular. Not to mention the fact that Yukimura was kept intact renews my faith in the translation team in not destroying the Hoshidan names. They better not let me down.

Whoops, I need to change Singer back to Songstress, huh?

Even though I'd prefer Siren since she strongly resembles that of one of Poseidon's servants.

Edited by Lin_Lee_Koo

Yeah I am agree with you on that. I'm not going to drop the axe just yet, but it does worry me some.

Xander's voice is higher than I expected. I wanted his voice to be deep like in the JP version, but I'll get used to it. Ryoma's voice is perfect, Hinoka's will take some getting used to, Sakura's voice is great, Takumi's is great and it works with his salt towards Corrin very nicely, Leo's is spot on, Elise's is much better, and Camilla's is pretty good. Male Corrin's voice is ok, but the delivery on "mother!" in the Mikoto death scene was weird. I wish the laughing in the English version gets better with the other characters because it sounds awkward. And Garon's voice was I expected out of a villian as ridiculous as him and his "that wasn't even my best trap" line made me think of Yugioh. Thanks a lot Garon.

They should get Ian Macdiarmid to voice Garon. I mean if you're going to have a terrible villain, might as well go full camp to get some entertainment out of it.

"Soon the son of Mikoto shall fall, and his journey to the dark side will be complete."

Overall I was pretty impressed with most of the voices. Marx, Hinoka, and M!Kamui sounded the weirdest to me, but I'll only be playing F!Kamui so the last one doesn't matter anyway, I guess (are we getting multiple avatar voice options again, does anyone know?). Ryoma and Garon were the best.

If anyone needs me I'll be over here, sadly waiting for an EU release date.

Hinoka's voice sounds a bit boyish, or gruff, kind of? Not sure on the word I want. It's pretty pronounced in the English trailer, when she's fighting. I like the rest. Interesting that Hoshido weapons, at least, are Brass instead of Bronze.

Urgh, tell me about it. My last experience with the Deck of Salt Inducement involved losing 4 points of intelligence (as a Wizard T.T), being forced to draw another card and having all my magic items disintegrated (at level 17). I may or may not have set the cards we were using on fire after we were done.

To me, it just seems that people were expecting something more along the lines of his Japanese voice, especially in terms of pitch. Don't get me wrong, liking the Japanese voices better is a perfectly valid preference, but most of the complaints I've seen have been "it's not as deep as the Japanese VA".

Almost every time I've played a tabletop game I end up killing myself. Last time my gunslinger tried to show off and accidentally blew his own brains out.

I think I know Garon's best trap now.

FEF_Foleo_Twitter_Icon.png

It all makes sense. Truly the wisest of villains...!

But Foleo wasn't even born at the time.

Maybe Garon has the Star Wars emperor level of foresight. "Foleo will be a trap greater than either of us!" Or something.

I still do a double-take whenever I see a Butler or Mountain Priest Foleo.

But Foleo wasn't even born at the time.

Maybe Garon has the Star Wars emperor level of foresight. "Foleo will be a trap greater than either of us!" Or something.

I still do a double-take whenever I see a Butler or Mountain Priest Foleo.

Generations and generations of choosing the best and prettiest concubines in order to create the perfect trap. Trust me I had biology in 9th grade that's how it works.

Generations and generations of choosing the best and prettiest concubines in order to create the perfect trap. Trust me I had biology in 9th grade that's how it works.

I think I understand the greater plot of Fates. The conflict is really just between two rival trap making empires. Nohr has the lead on pretty boy faces but Hoshido is making leaps and bounds in gender-bent Pegasus riders and long haired dudes. Kidnapping Kamui was the final step in the plan to breed the ultimate trap.

Which makes Femui x Leo canon. Trust me, I took an entry level literature course at the local community college.

If only Sumeragi had Austin Powers on his side, he might not have fallen for that trap.

thats-a-man-baby-austin-powers.jpg

Edited by NekoKnight

It's not just "not as deep as JP", it's really not deep enough. This man is basically the pilllar that Nohr stands on. He's the " should every burden ever" guy. I mean it's not even like Symphonia's Kratos Aurion where each dub had an equally accurate representation of him (JP represented how old he actually was while Eng represented how young he looked). This is just oh god why. Ryoma kept his deep confident voice (that is admittedly just Chrom+) so that they didn't for Marx seems odd.

Edited by Ownagepuffs

As far as Chapter 6 goes this fan translation does not contain her using those precise words in the context that localization has. As for her doing it elsewhere, could you give me general location to check? The scripts really big to just read the whole thing for the use of "scum" by one particular character.

Hmm... I thought for sure it was mentioned in Chapter 6, but I guess it was just an interpretation of the line. I do remember it popping up in one of the later chapters, but I don't remember which route I saw it in.

As mentioned before though, within the context the line is in, it's not as damaging to the character as I think you're getting at, it just seems like she's embittered towards the people that have caused her pain and she's telling them to back off of her brother/sister. If it becomes more prominent in lines and plot points then before, then we can be concerned, but as it is now, it's not too indicative of what the plan is for her character.

IGN First did a straight LP, no cutouts. You get a lot more dialogue (all of it) for Chapter 5, as well as a bit more translation/localisation info.

Here's a synopsis of terms we receive confirmation in, in full (aside from the name confirmation for Nohrian family and stuff from the GameXplain vid)

Ryoma = Swordmaster!Raijinto

*Death quote*
->Ryoma: "You can kill me, but you cannot kill the spirit of Hoshido!"
->Sakura: "Brother, no! You have to step back! We can't afford to lose you..."
->Ryoma: "Ugh...you're right. I'll retreat for now..."
Corrin = Feral Dragon!Draconic Rage
Rinkah = Oni Savage!Brass Club
*Death quote*
->Rinkah: "So this...is how my flame goes out..."
Kaze = Ninja!Iron Shuriken
Sakura = Shrine Maiden!Bloom Festal
Azura = Songstress!Brass Naginata
Enemies = Ryoma refers to them as "Not just a Faceless". Equipped with Iron Swords, Wyrmslayers, Kodachi and Thunder
Takumi's Bow = Fujin Yumi
Corrin's Sword = Yato
Corrin's Dragonstone = Dragonstone
(We kind of already knew Corrin's sword name from the Smash trailer but still)
Chapter titles:
Chapter 5= Mother
Takes place in the devastated Shirasagi Castle Town
Chapter 6= The Path Is Yours
Nohr Chapter 11 = Rainbow
*Evidently, there's a Chapter 11 Nohr save file in this playthrough. Not sure why it's there though considering it's supposed to just be a Demo and all...
Edited by Elieson

I think I know Garon's best trap now.

FEF_Foleo_Twitter_Icon.png

It all makes sense. Truly the wisest of villains...!

I just wonder how he will be scripted in the localized versions. Since he's a transvestite.

You know since they changed Priestess to Shrine Maiden now I'm really curious what the male equivalent will be called.

So far I'm liking it!

The male should be called Monk.

I couldn't help but notice that these guys aren't too good. They killed like half their units I think the only ones they had left where aqua and corrin

I think you missed the fact that it's a gameplay showcase and they're showing very bit they can show. Cut scenes, Attacking, Defending, Your Turn, Enemy Turn, Enemy Deaths and Your Unit Deaths.

I get where you're coming from but showing gameplay doesn't matter for anything. Could of had Casual Mode on for all we know.