Does Nintendo hate Chrom?

marth2600

Probably just because Smash is SO HUGE in the world of Nintendo. A lot of people won't pick up #FE.

I hope you weren't too disappointed in that. FE's doing better than it used to but it still has a far way to go. [spoiler="everybody probably already knows this but spoilered anyway]((Forced Lucina in FE13 would've been cooler IMO, plus at least give a game over if she dies...))

Video gaming in general*

Well, I grew up with Nintendo so I still remember the days of all female characters that aren't Samus being damsels in distress. (Samus still holds a very special place in my heart for being the first female protagonist I could play as in a game) I do wish Lucina's role in Awakening/Smash was more significant because well, while FE is pretty good with women characters, I feel like the female lords always get overshadowed. I haven't played all the games yet, but my impression of the franchise seems to be that there's never been an instance where the female lead got to truly be the leader/main focus. And I can't really count Fates when Nintendo treats the male as the default. I haven't gotten to RD yet but it's my understanding the female lead gets shoved aside by Ike?

I know the topic probably isn't as important to some people, but it just drives me crazy when people are like "omg I hate stupid Lucina for stealing the spotlight from Chrom" when she's the only instance in the franchise that i'm aware of where the female lead has actually been pushed as a rep. Before her my only impression of Fire Emblem was it was just a bunch of dudes, and well, I could have gotten that from 99% of RPGs. (even FF6 which has a heavy focus on Terra kind of gets shoved aside by the fandom for Locke) I was of course pleasantly surprised when I first played Awakening and saw all the cool and strong female characters. But yeah, FE still needs to give us that female lead that doesn't get overshadowed by their male costars.

Also looking at it this way: 5 of the 6 Fire Emblem reps are still male, 4.5 if you count Robin I guess ((but the default is male)). Without that spot it would just be... 6 guys ((or 5.5 whatever)). And you know 1 girl to 5 guys isn't great, but it's a whole lot better than zero. Not everyone is... well us on this forum who are probably gonna buy the games anyway. Representation does matter, even if it's in smash. I wonder if that had anything to do with Lucina over Chrom anyway. I doubt it but it's not impossible.

Also looking at it this way: 5 of the 6 Fire Emblem reps are still male, 4.5 if you count Robin I guess ((but the default is male)). Without that spot it would just be... 6 guys ((or 5.5 whatever)). And you know 1 girl to 5 guys isn't great, but it's a whole lot better than zero. Not everyone is... well us on this forum who are probably gonna buy the games anyway. Representation does matter, even if it's in smash. I wonder if that had anything to do with Lucina over Chrom anyway. I doubt it but it's not impossible.

Nah the entire reason Lucina even got in Smash 4 was that she was originally going to be an alternate costume for Marth, but Sakurai and his team had a small bit of extra development time to make her slightly different and such.

Well I mean I did know that but I was just wondering out loud I guess as to if there was any secondary development behind that. I suppose not though.

Smash is still largely a sausage fest so I'm all about Nintendo putting in women where they can.

Okay, but do realize that wanting more women just for the sale of it is a bad thing.

It's one thing to support strong characters like Lucina and Bayonetta, but whether they are female or not is irrelevant to their character (Bayonetta could be a warlock who strips...?) and that's a good thing. A female character should be strong without being basically Peach. That's why stuff like Barbie is occasionally considered sexist because of the fact that she screams "I'm a woman and I love shopping!" That's contrary to cool people in the industry like Chell, Samus, or Bayonetta who own themselves.

I love both a ton of female characters and Rosalina, but if Rosalina had been chosen over Bowser Jr, a big force, it would have made little sense because 3D World was at least a year after the roster was decided. However, I would love Dixie and hate K. Rool. It's all a matter of choosing good characters regardless of gender. I love Bayonetta, Palutena, and Wii Fit Trainer. They're great.

and Fiora, Melia, and Elma are great characters so couldn't Xenoblade have gotten two characters please Sakurai

I dunno, I mean have you seen how most of Chrom's fans treat him?

Honestly, I don't think Nintendo hates Chrom. I mean, the closest to Nintendo hating Chrom would maybe be Robin's "Palutena's Guidance" and even then that's just making fun of him not being in Smash then anything.

I mean, unless I missed something of course.

Edited by December Knight

> monster hunter costume

> smtxfe

> project x zone

> anniversary shirt dedicated to him

> even if he's not playable in ssb4, between the mii costume, final smash and palutena's guidance, he's still got a hell of a lot more presence in it than 99% of fire emblem

how the hell can anyone in their right mind think that nintendo hates chrom or fe13? seriously, just because he's not playable in ssb4 hasn't stopped him from being everywhere else

Pretty much this. Apart from a meme born out of Lucina and Robin's Smash trailer, nothing indicates Nintendo dislikes Chrom, let alone hate him. I do find it odd that Lucina reps Awakening more often than he does (a lot of the Fire Emblem merchandise has her rather than Chrom) but I guess she's just more marketable.

Well, I grew up with Nintendo so I still remember the days of all female characters that aren't Samus being damsels in distress. (Samus still holds a very special place in my heart for being the first female protagonist I could play as in a game) I do wish Lucina's role in Awakening/Smash was more significant because well, while FE is pretty good with women characters, I feel like the female lords always get overshadowed. I haven't played all the games yet, but my impression of the franchise seems to be that there's never been an instance where the female lead got to truly be the leader/main focus. And I can't really count Fates when Nintendo treats the male as the default. I haven't gotten to RD yet but it's my understanding the female lead gets shoved aside by Ike?

I know the topic probably isn't as important to some people, but it just drives me crazy when people are like "omg I hate stupid Lucina for stealing the spotlight from Chrom" when she's the only instance in the franchise that i'm aware of where the female lead has actually been pushed as a rep. Before her my only impression of Fire Emblem was it was just a bunch of dudes, and well, I could have gotten that from 99% of RPGs. (even FF6 which has a heavy focus on Terra kind of gets shoved aside by the fandom for Locke) I was of course pleasantly surprised when I first played Awakening and saw all the cool and strong female characters. But yeah, FE still needs to give us that female lead that doesn't get overshadowed by their male costars.

Before the 3DS era, Fire Emblem generally didn't do much with female leads. Lyn loses most of her relevancy after her mode, Erika isn't as competent as Ephraim and Michaiah gets her own game hi-jacked by Ike. Awakening has potentially 2 female leads and 1 male lead, and Fates potentially has 2 female leads (but the writing for these two is controversial to say the least).

Edited by NekoKnight

Nintendo doesn't hate Chrom. I highly doubt that they would, because what reason would they have to hate him? However, I do think that he's stuck in a very awkward position. He's the actual main lord of FE13. He's of the lord class, forced in every chapter, and gives a game over when he dies. Robin may give a game over too, but is only forced in one chapter and isn't of the lord class. Lucina's class is lord, but she doesn't give a game over and is never forced in any chapter, and I feel that she is actually the least important of the three in plot importance.

The funny thing is, before Smash I feel as if Chrom may have been more "popular" as a spouse choice and was more of the "face" of Awakening, and it's mostly because of Smash that Lucina is seen more as the "face". Then again, maybe it's also because people who marry Chrom will have Lucina as a daughter and will generally like both, while people who marry Lucina do not necessarily have to like Chrom. I don't know. Either way, I don't think Nintendo hates Chrom. But I think Smash has shifted attitudes regarding marketing at least.

Either way, I don't think Nintendo hates Chrom. But I think Smash has shifted attitudes regarding marketing at least.

I doubt it. Robin is rarely marketed compared to Lucina and Smash gave him a 'canon' gender and appearance.

Okay, but do realize that wanting more women just for the sale of it is a bad thing.

It's one thing to support strong characters like Lucina and Bayonetta, but whether they are female or not is irrelevant to their character (Bayonetta could be a warlock who strips...?) and that's a good thing. A female character should be strong without being basically Peach. That's why stuff like Barbie is occasionally considered sexist because of the fact that she screams "I'm a woman and I love shopping!" That's contrary to cool people in the industry like Chell, Samus, or Bayonetta who own themselves.

I love both a ton of female characters and Rosalina, but if Rosalina had been chosen over Bowser Jr, a big force, it would have made little sense because 3D World was at least a year after the roster was decided. However, I would love Dixie and hate K. Rool. It's all a matter of choosing good characters regardless of gender. I love Bayonetta, Palutena, and Wii Fit Trainer. They're great.

and Fiora, Melia, and Elma are great characters so couldn't Xenoblade have gotten two characters please Sakurai

I never said they should add more female characters for the sake of a sale, just that I would love for there to be more female characters in Smash. And I also never said male characters' spots should be taken by females. As was stated above, representation absolutely matters. I'm old enough to have a lot of friends that have daughters and guess who all my friends' young daughters play as in Smash? Lucina and female Robin. Many of them were bummed there was no female Robin amiibo, because she had become one of their favorites. On Smash 64 I played as Samus, them Melee Samus+Zelda. Even as an adult I primarily play as female characters if given the chance to do so. (unless there's romance options and they won't let me be gay) Growing up I was always more invested in games that let me actually be a girl that didn't look down on me like all those bullshit Barbie games that had a $5 budget.

The point I'm trying to make is, child me was a lot more interested in games where I could actually be a lady that kicked butt. My friends' 5 year old+ daughters that are starting to play videogames are getting into games like Smash because they can play as awesome ladies like Lucina. I'm not saying the Smash roster needs to be all girls or to stick in random obscure female characters for the sake of having another female character. (with all 10 games out there with a lead female protagonist there isn't a lot Smash could potentially choose from) But having a little more female representation helps more young girls jump into games like Smash. And it's not like a large female roster hurts anything, look at Hyrule Warriors, like the only Nintendo game ever to have more female playable characters than male.

(sorry I've gotten so off topic everyone! I was just trying to make a point that having Lucina in Smash over Chrom was good)

I doubt it. Robin is rarely marketed compared to Lucina and Smash gave him a 'canon' gender and appearance.

Well, regarding Lucina at least compared to Chrom.