Things you wish school taught you.

IceBrand

abstinence-only education is pretty terrible. states that mandate abstinence-only education have notably higher teen pregnancy rates because teenagers are gonna have sex no matter the kind of education they're getting, but with abstinence-only they tend to not get any info on how to have safe sex if they actually do have it.

good news: we're on the downswing for teen pregnancy, though, and the majority of that is attributed to teens actually using contraceptives more lmao

but my two favorite stats that i remember:

only 13 states require that the information provided in sex ed courses be medically accurate (this doesn't mean they aren't, this just means it's not state mandated, but still)

only 13 states require discussion about sexual orientation, and of those 13, only 9 require that the topic is approached positively (^)

if you wanted to know std rates and stuff I can give you those, though!

they're also super sad to me but I thought they were pretty super publicized (i.e. the disproportionately high percentage of new HIV infections belonging to men who identify as gay or bisexual)

Huh. It's surprising that only a little over a fifth of the US requires these courses. I agree that abstinence based education will only go so far for many people (Parks and Recreation said it best).

By the term positively, I'm assuming the other 4 that aren't in the 9 discourage anything but heterosexuality? That's really sad if so.

As for the STD rates, that does make sense for the men. A lot of things such as HIV can easily be passed around, and two men have no worries about pregnancy, so safe sex likely doesn't end up seeming that necessary. In fact, I'm pretty positive that it's because of the no risk of pregnancy.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it'd have been cool to have actually gone through and read letter from a birmingham jail while in high school as opposed to not knowing about how radical MLKJ actually was until my college days

abstinence is your choice but it's not a good survival strategy for the species. Granted who gives a shit besides god. Not like I made humanity. If it dies out that doesn't reflect poorly on me.

Slightly beside the point but I'm p sure we're having a population crisis so. That said abstinence only education is literally garbage so

Schools always been like that. They don't teach you all the things you need once your out. All they do is make you be able to score well in tests when in reality your not gonna need that skill because it is so useless.

Actually no. (high) school teaches you how to read and write. And how to do basic arithmetic and calculus. And discipline.

This matters because tax forms change a lot. They also differ per state. You're much better off learning how to deal with language and calculation in general than learning how to fill in one specific form.

it'd have been cool to have actually gone through and read letter from a birmingham jail while in high school as opposed to not knowing about how radical MLKJ actually was until my college days

Mwahahhahahaha we did that in my school.

Huh. It's surprising that only a little over a fifth of the US requires these courses. I agree that abstinence based education will only go so far for many people (Parks and Recreation said it best).

By the term positively, I'm assuming the other 4 that aren't in the 9 discourage anything but heterosexuality? That's really sad if so.

As for the STD rates, that does make sense for the men. A lot of things such as HIV can easily be passed around, and two men have no worries about pregnancy, so safe sex likely doesn't end up seeming that necessary. In fact, I'm pretty positive that it's because of the no risk of pregnancy.

They can present non-heterosexual orientations negatively if the school desires. Luckily this doesn't mean that they always do, but if they want to, they theoretically are within their rights to do so.

Yeah, unfortunately a lot of youth don't really realize things like condoms are not just meant to prevent pregnancy. There're just a lot of factors making it a not-awesome situation. Not all states are required to teach about safe sex/avoiding HIV and other STDs, even, as I remember.

it seems that you, my friend, had a responsible u.s. history teacher in high school

nah it was an English teacher. Our rhetoric textbook had the letters in them. We were reading them from a more structural perspective I guess.

I don't think we read anything by MLK in us history. Our school did have assemblies foe black history month that were maybe ok. I know we read about the civil rights movement but I don't think we took an in depth look really.

Our DBQ foe the AP test was on women's history for a pretty wide range of time. A lot of people did poorly because our school seemed to have been under the impression that dbqs were always oppositional, with documents mostly supporting one of two viewpoints. The one we got was asking more for us to explain progression of an issue over time, with the apparent and ridiculous assumption that more rights for women are good.

sex ed at my school was so bad I didn't even know which hole to stick it in.

it goes in your favorite one

there's no wrong answer :)

Why would you?

If one of my teachers tried to teach something like that they'd end up in a ditch with their head several meters from the body

this seems extreme.

Why would you?

If one of my teachers tried to teach something like that they'd end up in a ditch with their head several meters from the body

for people like you to know sex acts like these are not sexy

Why would you?

This raises the following question:

Do you live in Southern America or are you a sex-obsessed psychopath axe murderer living in a different part of the country?