Forum Comparisons

Alex95

Another forum I'm part of that helps me figure out how to make my game, RPG Maker Forums, looks and works EXACTLY how SF does. So I thought "Why not do a comparison?"

yQjKOh0.png

Well.... At least we've posted more topics! We got that going for us! SF's also a lot more fun, so that might be the cause of it.

Completely pointless thread, but that's what FftF is for! ...Right?

Anyone else part of forums that look like Serenes Forest? Comparisons of your own?

Edited by Power Master

SF has always punched above its weight class. You'll be hard pressed to find a forum as active as ours without many more registered users. The difference is that people stay here when they join, as opposed to posting for a couple months and leaving. It helps that we have such a diverse group of users as well; very few of our sections are inactive.

Among dedicated Nintendo fan forums, only Serebii is more active than us in all ways as far as I know.

Edited by Tangerine

Among dedicated Nintendo fan forums, only Serebii is more active than us in all ways as far as I know.

smashboards?

serebii:

uKvrUB6.png

PBKMSEo.png

smashboards:

KXk0GZc.png

(with 1500 currently online users)

Smash represents more than a single series lol. I don't think it could possibly be considered in the same league as a forum dedicated to a single game franchise, since by default it draws fans from every single Nintendo franchise including our own. That Pokemon is even close to it is testament to how popular it really is.

Excluding that, it is curious that Serebii has over 150,000 more threads but less posts. I don't use either forum, but I'm guessing Smash Boards has a lot of forum games or thread series that attract a lot of people.

Edited by Tangerine

I don't see why that matters. It's not like there's overlap between SF and Smash fans that there isn't between SF and Pokemon fans.

Apart from the fact that our Smash Bros section on SF itself is nearly twice as active (and receives nearly 3x the daily visitors) as our Pokemon section?

I'd say that is a pretty clear indication that Smash Bros has a significantly higher overlap value in the fandom.

To suggest that any series could have equal overlap value with Smash in any fandom that Smash has significant representation for is insane lol. Especially one with as many representatives as FE. Pokemon might be the only one I'd consider reasonable, because it attracts a lot of casual gamers who might not even play other Nintendo titles to the extent that they'd call themselves fans.

Edited by Tangerine

Fanbases tend to like when their favorite characters appear in Smash so it will draw a lot of attention.

---

Pretty sure a lot of Metroid fans would like to have a Chozo Ghost or something.

Edited by Naughx

Fanbases tend to like when their favorite characters appear in Smash so it will draw a lot of attention.

---

Pretty sure a lot of Metroid fans would like to have a Chozo Ghost or something.

Sure, Metroid fans love Chozo Ghosts nearly as much as they love Dark Pirate Commandos.

Smash represents more than a single series lol. I don't think it could possibly be considered in the same league as a forum dedicated to a single game franchise, since by default it draws fans from every single Nintendo franchise including our own. That Pokemon is even close to it is testament to how popular it really is.

Excluding that, it is curious that Serebii has over 150,000 more threads but less posts. I don't use either forum, but I'm guessing Smash Boards has a lot of forum games or thread series that attract a lot of people.

Smash Boards has a LOT of subforums - find a game, then find a character, and that's a subforum! I'm a horrible person that still plays Falco, and this trend started in Brawl, so if I want to talk about the blue bird, I'll have to post on the Falco subforum for the correct game. Not that it's a bad thing, because a lot changes between games!

Apart from the fact that our Smash Bros section on SF itself is nearly twice as active (and receives nearly 3x the daily visitors) as our Pokemon section?

I'd say that is a pretty clear indication that Smash Bros has a significantly higher overlap value in the fandom.

To suggest that any series could have equal overlap value with Smash in any fandom that Smash has significant representation for is insane lol. Especially one with as many representatives as FE. Pokemon might be the only one I'd consider reasonable, because it attracts a lot of casual gamers who might not even play other Nintendo titles to the extent that they'd call themselves fans.

[spoiler=this stuff doesn't actually matter nvm]a) the vast majority of all the SF smash activity is limited to the equivalent of a chat thread for smash bros, and much of the rest is mindless arguing about sakurai's character selection. that's not indicative of greater overlap, it's indicative that smash fans have a lot more to make posts whining about (or defending against whining).

b) pokemon games are the subject of the other forum being compared to. pokemon also has a far larger userbase in general than smash, and definitely more widespread recognition. it's by no means "insane" to suggest that a franchise so much larger than smash might have a greater overlap.

c) I still don't see how player overlap matters; smash bros is a nintendo franchise with a fan forum that is more active than SF or serebii. it is a genre of games unlike any of its nintendo constituents. if someone buys smash, pokemon, and FE, there's no reason to think they'll register for and be active on all three forums.

Probably nothing apart from "they exist". Most probably don't even know that if they aren't personally interested in the series, lol! SF is really active for its memberbase, but the FE community is still too tiny to make a large forum.

Serebii's activity has dropped off quite a bit recently or so I'm told anyway.

It's not curious to me. The mods over there are pretty terrible (a widely accepted view from members there and my personal view) and in general there is constant drama.

[spoiler=Specific examples for Serebii]I recall an instance where a member made an art shop there and was simply using art others made to fill their requests including art that people on Serebii made for other people, this was proven by linking to the posts they were taking the art from however the mods didn't ban the member or do anything at all actually. The mods get annoyed if you report posts for rule violations or don't follow the rules themselves, a big one is the sig size limit, people completely ignore the filesize limit and have sigs several megabytes large when the limit is a cumulative 500kb so you either have to turn off sigs or deal with all those sigs loading anytime you go anywhere. Then there is the general consensus that mods favor their friends in any circumstance regardless of what actually happened all in all it doesn't surprise me that people don't post there.

By Smashboards do you mean SWF, AllisBrawl, or some other one? Haven't been on SWF for years, but whilst I was there there was a lot of hoping X gets in or Y gets in, those threads got A LOT of posts (several hundred posts each), haven't been here terribly long, but this forum appears to lack those type of long winded wishful threads

Edited by Dwlr