What is the future of 2D Mario games? Did Nintendo back themselves into a corner with Super Mario Maker?

IceBrand

Super Mario Maker is easily the best of the 2D series. You basically have unlimited amounts of levels from 4 different series. However, because of this, this causes a problem. How will Nintendo handle the 2D Mario series now? Will they have to create a new style? Should they just focus more on 3D Mario games? What if they make a 3D Super Mario Maker?

Considering that the demand for 3D Mario is indisputably higher than the demand for 2D Mario, and 3D Mario games have been better received than 3D Mario games (with the exception of Super Mario Maker), I wouldn't be surprised if they started emphasizing 3D Mario more.

Super Mario Maker is easily the best of the 2D series. You basically have unlimited amounts of levels from 4 different series. However, because of this, this causes a problem. How will Nintendo handle the 2D Mario series now? Will they have to create a new style? Should they just focus more on 3D Mario games? What if they make a 3D Super Mario Maker?

I prefer the old 2d Mario games Super Mario World, Super Mario, etc A game that allows custom fan-made levels doesn't kill the series at all, look at Minecraft Story Mode.

You sure ask a lot of questions ... are you the Riddler of these forums?

But, *ahem*, they once said the would love to add a different focus with Mario. After all, is kinda of tiring to see the italian plumber jumping platforms and rescuing the same princess over thirty years.

Read it somewhere, can't remember exactly where, unfortunately.

It doesn't cause a problem.

Super Mario Maker is bogged down by a community of 3 year olds who think spamming rows of enemies and stacking 3 bowsers on each other is level design.

It also has a very barebones selection of setpieces. Nintnedo still has a lot of things they can put in levels that Mario Maker doesn't offer.

Except most of these "unlimited levels" are not the kind of levels you would expect in an actual Mario game, very few of them have an actual difficulty curve or a main gimmick that could actually be used in a serious level.

Edited by OakTree

Yeah, I feel like a lot of the people in Super Mario Maker don't know what level design is at all.

But I do prefer 3D Mario, so I'm hoping Nintendo focuses a little more on it.

If I had to compare the average quality of Mario Maker levels with the average quality of real Mario levels... it would not be a favorable comparison. Also, there is no way Nintendo will stop making 2D Mario games, as they've almost always outsold 3D Mario games.

Considering that the demand for 3D Mario is indisputably higher than the demand for 2D Mario, and 3D Mario games have been better received than 2D [Assuming that was a typo] Mario games (with the exception of Super Mario Maker), I wouldn't be surprised if they started emphasizing 3D Mario more.

3D Mario games consistently sell worse and are less popular (okay, I know these things seem the same but uh...) than 2D Mario games. This is why Nintendo has been simplifying 3D Mario games to the point of making them more and more like their 2D incarnations.

Edited by Refa

I want a nice, complex 3D Mario game. I guess Nintendo could just send him to space; that would be the easy way out. If such a game ever exists, it'll probably be a 10/10, yup.

I think they're going to give a needed rest for 2D Mario now. All the NSMB games gave it a bit of franchise fatigue, and Super Mario Maker was the perfect way to give it a break. I think they might get back to them in some years (5 or so). Well, I'm pretty sure the NX will have at least one 2D Mario game, so maybe not that long. I do think they need a big, innovative 3D Mario now. If it does happen, it will probably be a NX game, but if they released one for the Wii U, I'd surely buy.

Edited by Nobody

I agree that the New Super Mario Bros. series is in need of a break; why not come back with some fresh ideas in a few years while the community keeps Mario Maker going? Honestly, I'm far more curious as to what they'll do with the next 3D Mario title, and I hope it'll be like Mario 64, Wing Cap and all.

SMM was a fantastic idea and, judging by the interviews of some Nintendo devs, Nintendo is so backwards about emulation they pay zero attention to the homebrew level-making scenes of the NES, SNES and N64 Mario games. The cynical in me believes they did SMM to bring homebrew devs to their playground, but somehow I can't help but feel it may also have been a little bit coincidental.

SMM is effectively an SDK for 2D Mario games. If I were Nintendo I'd market it as such and make it more and more powerful (and charge for each update, of course). The 2D Mario games have long been just a side thing for Nintendo, they barely have any story and barely advance the Mario lore.

Edited by Cerberus87

The 2D Mario games have long been just a side thing for Nintendo, they barely have any story and barely advance the Mario lore.

If by "side thing" you mean "35% of Nintendo's money" and by "Mario lore" you mean "paper-thin plots" then yes.

BTW, if you're actually interested in an "SDK for 2D games" I would point you to Bangai-O HD: Missile Fury, which has the strongest in-game level editor I've seen.

Edited by Zera

I wouldn't worry, the original Mario games had things that are difficult to replicate in Maker such as the Castle that reaches the sky in Super Mario Bros 3, the secret exits of Super Mario World's Forest of Illusion, etc.

Which reminds me, I really gotta return to making stages on Super Mario Maker.

I want a nice, complex 3D Mario game. I guess Nintendo could just send him to space; that would be the easy way out. If such a game ever exists, it'll probably be a 10/10, yup.

342px-SmG.jpg341px-Smg2boxart.png

BTW, if you're actually interested in an "SDK for 2D games" I would point you to Bangai-O HD: Missile Fury, which has the strongest in-game level editor I've seen.

I'd be interested of course, but the reason people purchase SMM is because they want to make "Mario" levels and distribute them via official platform.

342px-SmG.jpg341px-Smg2boxart.png

You don't seem to understand the concept of "irony". ;)

Edited by Cerberus87

I think there are some really good and creative Mario levels in Mario Maker, it's just finding them is such a chore within the oceans of badly designed levels and troll courses, and the seas of auto marios and super inhumanly hard levels.

2D Mario needs a break until they find something new to do with it. New Super Mario Bros 1 was built upon new innovations added by the 3D Mario games, so I think they should focus their efforts on an innovative 3D title from which to find new inspiration from. 2-1/2D elements are something they could try, as they've already touched upon them briefly, but I think the series still needs a rest.

3D Mario games consistently sell worse and are less popular (okay, I know these things seem the same but uh...) than 2D Mario games. This is why Nintendo has been simplifying 3D Mario games to the point of making them more and more like their 2D incarnations.

Super Mario 3D World is the best, most recent example in this case.

And also another yes, as among these 3D Marios, the one considered as the 'black sheep' of the family is, unfortunately, Super Mario Sunshine. Too much wide space overall to run and jump without much, constantly platform challenge, I guess. But is one of my most favorite 3D Mario games so far, it could be something with more potential ...

Super Mario Galaxy, while original through its own concept, it cut quite a lot the exploration facet. I didn't like that much, Sunshine was so overwhelmed of details to discover around the immersive worlds you could explore on your own.

Edited by Erdall

You don't seem to understand the concept of "irony". ;)

Hi? ;p

In all seriousness, I enjoy 3D Marios more than the 2D iterations. It'd be nice to have both though. I guess there will be more 2D Marios in the future, but Mario Maker is allowing Nintendo to take a small break and work on a new 3D Mario... :)

I think they might put Mario on the shelf for a little while, which is why they put out Mario Maker. It gives fans the ability to create a ton of levels, and keep themselves entertained for a good amount of time. I think Nintendo is going to focus on other games of theirs to get them to reach new heights. Kirby hasnt had a game in years. Fire Emblem is reaching new heights that it has never seen outside Japan. Xenoblade is doing great. Legend of Zelda is picking back up. They may even create some new things to get rolling. I really think that Mario might be put on the shelf for a few years to let their other products shine.

Edited by Tolvir