Soleil Support Changed in NA/Europe Localization + Shara/Syalla Name Change

stahl_gaius_fan

Wouldn't it be asinine to change the "ethnicity" of an entire group just fo rename one character?

Well they misled us in the advertising trailers and destroyed the game's main theme so that Kamui could sleep with their 'blood siblings', so why not?

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe. But at the same time, the entirety of Hoshido being "fantasy Japan" can get a little boring. Where's fantasy Korea? Or fantasy China?

Fantasy Korea would be awesome. However, they've already set it up to be Japanese or at least Japanese-influenced, so changing them now to be Indian seems a little random. Also don't take this the wrong way, but neither of them look Indian?

Saizou: Why... why have you abandoned the name Saizou?

Uisag: FUCK YOU DAD ITS UISAG NOW!

I kinda like Rhajat... but idk how they'll fit it...

Rhajat sounds very Indian (close to Rajat). I like it, while keeping the Tharja lettering, at that.

EDIT: Saw some of the above posts, glad people agree too. But yes... Tsukuyomi is going to be a nightmare to work with in this case. xD

I made an entire post about the Soleil thing, so I think I'm done discussing that now. xD I wonder what her name is in the localization though.

Edited by Kirokan

Eh, this will probably be like Xenoblade X all over again.

Name is revealed, people complain constantly, but by the time the game comes out, everyone gets used to it and stops complaining.

You mean every localization ever?

Cordelia for Matoi is gonna be a disaster for anagrams. They're gonna stick out like a sore thumb in a cast on the route with Japanese inspired names.

Cordelia

co r de li a

c r d l

o e i a

Deracoli

Colidera

Decolira...etc

I guess they could sort of find pseudo-Japanese names for her if they really try... xD it will sound ridiculous no matter what though

The best I think they could do for Matoi is give her the name Kokoro. It's phonetically similar to Cordelia (kind of) and has a similar etymology (Cordelia being derived from the latin word for heart, and Kokoro being Japanese for heart)

The best I think they could do for Matoi is give her the name Kokoro. It's phonetically similar to Cordelia (kind of) and has a similar etymology (Cordelia being derived from the latin word for heart, and Kokoro being Japanese for heart)

Koko it is then.

sometimes I wonder if people are actually upset over the change itself or the fact that there is change/censorship, people who were waiting for the english release didn't have a clue that soleil existed and still went up in arms and sometimes I question if the current developers of fire emblem do these things just to stir up controversy and get attention, I mean come on you have to question them a little lol.

I thought I was in the minority that aren't bothered by this censorship but nice to see others who aren't bothered either.

I'm actually happy that they changed her support, it was really campy and weird in the japanese version and even some japanese players found it such.

and Rhajat? I can live with that, I don't see why they couldn't just keep her as syalla since that sounds much better to me, same goes for matoi.

Regarding Soleil: Having read a translation of the support, there is nothing that I could possibly construe as a conversion. It was merely Kamui trying to be a good friend and trying to help Soleil out, he just did not choose a very good means to do it. He was trying to assist her in her problems with speaking to women, he was encouraging her, not the opposite.

I think there has been a lot of misinterpretation and misleading information out there.

The quote from Nintendo itself doesn't simply says that there will be no conversion or drugging. There was no conversion in the original Japanese to begin with, so that's not a change or censorship. There was a drugging, if that part is changed that's not so bad, perhaps Kamui asking Soleil's permission first before doing so, but I still would not like that to be changed, it's not that bad really and this isn't something that people should be making such a big fuss about.

I made an entire post about the Soleil thing, so I think I'm done discussing that now. xD I wonder what her name is in the localization though.

Thank you for this sensible and well explained article. I agree with most things written here, and you stated things better than I could.

As for Rhajat, it's okay. It sounds too much like "Rat" to me but it does have a nice exotic Indian vibe to it which would have suited Tharja at least.

Edited by XaosLogos

I'm glad that NoA are changing up the considerably weaker parts of the game. The support was still clumsily written and really didn't fit with the mood of the game, creepy or not so if they're going to at least improve on it that's a good sign. I hope they give more depth to the characters who have just one quirk and run with it the whole way through ahemeponineahem. I'm sure there will be both some fantastic changes and changes that are just terrible no matter what, so I guess only time will tell. I'm still quite excited though.

Rhajat is a pretty name I think, if a bit too Indian sounding in the Japanese setting. But eh, who know; maybe old Tsukiyomi just happened to hear the name in a book somewhere and liked it. I mean, I know someone whose whole family is British yet they're called Jalila for that very same reason. Agreed that the other two's names would be a nightmare, though, heh. Sugai actually sounds cool if they were to anagram Gaius but I wonder how they'll pull Cordelia off. Corelaid? Caolidre?

Rhajat... really... has the bar been set so low? Was the joke really worth everything else? Well at least I am on time to cancel my preorder of the Limited Edition, as I can already play this whole game, all DLC included, in (partial) English. I am not supporting this shit.

Thinking about Rhajat got me thinking.

The dragon loyals in Tellius. They're all vaguely Indian. Brown skin, 'Medha' from 'Almedha' is a female Indian name. Her Japanese name 'Amrita' is also an Indian name. 'Rajaion' having 'Raja' which means king/ruler. Also, Nasir is arabic.

There are always reactions to any change along these lines that are so cartoonishly melodramatic and over the top; it's hilarious.

As for the support being changed... Good.

In regards to Rhajat, I'm actually kind of impressed that they managed to find an actual real name that's an anagram of Tharja, even if it's a masculine name. Suiga seems to me to be the obvious route to go with Grey, but Cordelia is a good deal tougher to come up with good, non-silly-sounding anagrams for.

Rhajat beats all the "actual Japanese name -> thirteen-year-old's Naruto OC" changes, at least. (Although to their credit-ish at least Hana is still a real Japanese name. For all I know the others might be, too, but they still sound silly to me in light of the original names)

Meanwhile at NoA:

Reggie: Did you make the announcement?

Bill: Yes, we announced publicly that a Fire Emblem character is named Rhajat.

Reggie: And did it work?

Bill: Yes. Nobody is talking about the Soleil thing anymore.

Reggie: (Doing a Mr. Burns gesture) Excellent.

Oh, look; localizers stray too far from the original name, people whine. Then localizes predictably follow the same convention as the Japanese version, and people whine.

Nobody will ever be completely pleased with a localization, will they?

Rhajat sounds very Indian (close to Rajat). I like it, while keeping the Tharja lettering, at that.

EDIT: Saw some of the above posts, glad people agree too. But yes... Tsukuyomi is going to be a nightmare to work with in this case. xD

I'd put money down on it remaining the exact same. It's only two syllables (the cutoff appears to be four), and it's pronounced how it's read (a la Takumi, Hinoka, etc.).

Or it could be a Harold->Arthur situation, where even then I'll find some rhyme and reason behind it.

Rhajat... really... has the bar been set so low? Was the joke really worth everything else? Well at least I am on time to cancel my preorder of the Limited Edition, as I can already play this whole game, all DLC included, in (partial) English. I am not supporting this shit.

It's an anagram of Tharja (and is an actual name); Syalla was an anagram of Sallya. Complain about the Japanese version "setting the bar so low".

...You hear that folks? There's going to be one more LE popping up soon.

Also, wow. Hacking a 3DS because you don't like a few name changes. Apparently displeasure with a localization is enough for illegal countermeasures.

Edited by The DanMan

Usagi is a cute anagram for Gaius.

Anyway.

I'm watching people cry that they will import, they will pirate, but in the end, I'm sure the majority will buy the US and EU versions, so yeah, lol.

(lol

Edited by CrimeanRoyalKnight

You mean every localization ever?

And that is what is called gamer mentality; we pretend to care, might throw a hissy fit or two but then we go right back to not caring because we're fickle as hell. I wouldn't mind so much if it weren't for the fact that we do it for everything from the superfluous to the important thus negating any sense of scale or importance. Gaming still has a lot of growing up to do.