Is Ricken worth 30+ minutes?

jdb1984

I was doing a great job on one level, everything going right. Then the last enemy manages to Kill Ricken.

I can kill him easily, I'm sure of that. But I don't know if I should kill the enemy and leave Ricken dead, or restart the entire level and waste the time I took trying to beat it, which is probably 30+ minutes. Usually, I would restart, but I'd hate to let one mistake wipe away everything I fought hard to accomplish in that level.

Thoughts?

If it's not a file where you care about keeping everybody then no, just let him die it's not going to hinder you in anyway for the rest of the file. If it's going to naw at you ad infintum then yes restart before it's too late.

Depends on whether or not you think a kid will need the Cavalier/Archer lines (a.k.a. Chrom with a worse base class and mods). If you're just playing for giggles, Ricken can stay dead. If you really need those classes, reset.

EDIT: Oh, right, Stahl gets similar classes, too. From a quick mod check, it looks like Ricken would be good for a magical/mixed kid, while Stahl would be better off with physical. Your call.

Edited by eclipse

Ricken is a good dad for a magical kid but not the greatest. He fills some weird holes for skills at the expense of stat mods. Unless you have him planning to pass down Luna go somebody who needs it (magical!Several comes to mind) you can arguably move on without any major loss.

Did you do Donnel's paralogue and gotten the rescue staff yet?

If not, that might help. It's not necessary by any means, but if you're having trouble it makes saving ricken/maribelle a lot easier. If not. pair up ricken with maribelle and turn on enemy ranges (it's either x or y, muscle memory at this point so i dont' remember which button but it doesn't hurt to hit either) and move them to the bottom-most right space that's the furthest they can reach. I don't remember if the myrm's in their range or not, but I do remember the myrm is a priority kill whenever I do this without a rescue staff.

30 minutes? Unless it's Lunatic+, I'm assuming you have the battle animations on- redo it with them off, and it'll take a lot less time to get back where you were.

Just play Cas in the future if you're worried about this kind of thing, though.

Did you do Donnel's paralogue and gotten the rescue staff yet?

If not, that might help. It's not necessary by any means, but if you're having trouble it makes saving ricken/maribelle a lot easier. If not. pair up ricken with maribelle and turn on enemy ranges (it's either x or y, muscle memory at this point so i dont' remember which button but it doesn't hurt to hit either) and move them to the bottom-most right space that's the furthest they can reach. I don't remember if the myrm's in their range or not, but I do remember the myrm is a priority kill whenever I do this without a rescue staff.

I do have the Rescue Staff, and did do that. It was at the end of the chapter, with the last enemy, that this happened.

30 minutes? Unless it's Lunatic+, I'm assuming you have the battle animations on- redo it with them off, and it'll take a lot less time to get back where you were.

Just play Cas in the future if you're worried about this kind of thing, though.

I do have a second file on Casual, to see if I enjoy that more. Hard to tell, since that one is still in the early chapters. And I like having the animations on. Otherwise, it's a dull "bump, numbers, dead".

I do have the Rescue Staff, and did do that. It was at the end of the chapter, with the last enemy, that this happened.

I do have a second file on Casual, to see if I enjoy that more. Hard to tell, since that one is still in the early chapters. And I like having the animations on. Otherwise, it's a dull "bump, numbers, dead".

Don't put him in range of things. I would always save a character regardless of how useful they are because it's telling of how good I am of a strategist, but it doesn't mean he needs you to waste precious exp on that can quite honestly just go to Chrom.