Questions about FE4

CrimeanRoyalKnight

Hi people, I decided to start a new playthrough of FE4 and this time around I want to get more characters in both generations to level 20.

What are the best ways to do so? This is taking in consideration the fact that the Paragon ring is very pricy in the Pawn Shop. FYI I want to get characters like Ethlyn, Dew and Lachesis up to level 20, especially Lachesis; this I couldn't do in my first PT and I did suffer for it (Leif starting out very weak, for example... I'm not sure how better he's gonna be with a promoted mom, but yeah).

Also, I want to try out interesting and unusual pairs this time around. I already set in stone Lex/Tiltyu, Levin/Sylvia (I've already done this, but it was really hilarious so I can't bring myself to not have Holsety Corpul), Jamka/Lachesis and Holyn/Briggid, so if you got any suggestions, I really want to hear them out.

Any staff user can get to L30 by using Return or Warp infinitely, or just healing someone who keeps losing in the arena. That said, do not expect Ethlin getting to a high level guarantee Leaf a better start. Her growths are bad, her promotion gains are not taken into account when calculating Leaf's bases and the difference between a trained and untrained parent aren't all that great regardless. The exact formula is kind of complex but just realize that Leaf is supposed to start out a little weak. If you want him to be better, focus on his equipment - give him things that make it easier for him to kill things. Pursuit Ring is his best bet.

For other characters, to make it easiest it's essential to get them to 40,000G for the Elite Ring when you're passing it around for the arena. Once they reach that they can make up most of the difference between buying and selling by getting money from the arena, though some people have trouble clearing it.

If you really want to train up Dew, I think your best bet would be to get him the Elite Ring (20,000G for him since he has Bargain) and let him wail away on random pirates. Ch3 is a good bet. He can also try it on the L30 bandits in Ch5, that should give him quite a bit of EXP. Just give him a weak sword and keep slashing away.

Jamka/Lachesis

You're going to have to tell either Leaf or Delmud to go screw himself as this way Delmud will not inherit Pursuit, and thus one of them will be stuck without double attacking until Leaf promotes.

Why doesn't Delmud inherit pursuit?O_o

Seems like I have to reshuffle my choices a bit. If you guys have any good pairs for Lachesis outside of the usual ones, I am willing to try them... although I might go with Beowulf again since he gives her small stat boosts.

Anyway thanks for the info. Is making Leaf inherit the Brave Sword a good idea, or is it better on other characters?

Seems like I have to reshuffle my choices a bit. If you guys have any good pairs for Lachesis outside of the usual ones, I am willing to try them... although I might go with Beowulf again since he gives her small stat boosts.

Anyway thanks for the info. Is making Leaf inherit the Brave Sword a good idea, or is it better on other characters?

Jamke's Pursuit is class based, not inherent, so it will not be passed down to his children.

Leif with a Brave Sword is not a bad idea considering his lack of Pursuit, but it is a very powerful sword to have in others' hands, so it's up to preference. You might also want to consider passing down an Armorslayer since Leif debuts facing down a bunch of armors.

Jamka doesn't have pursuit, it's a class skill. too slow

Try Lachesis X Azel instead, Nanna will heal better and Delmug will destroy everything with bot normal and magic swords.

Anyway, Leif has critical, so a hero sword gives him double chance to activate critical, right? Unless I'm wrong and activating critical with a hero sword will make both hits be critical.

You can have Beowulf give Lachesis the stat boosts and still pair her with someone else. The conversation grants 100 lover points, but that can easily be compensated for by parking someone else next to her. The next best pairing for Lachesis is probably Fin. The main benefit of this is giving Nanna a +5 Spd convo in Ch7, Prayer, and slightly better growths over other candidates with Pursuit. That does mean Fin's inventory will be barren of anything but an Iron Lance in Ch7, but if he's promoted that doesn't have much of an impact on his performance. He can buy his things back pretty quickly, especially since he's so rich. He keeps half his gen 1 money and he is good in the arena. And you will prolly want him to weaken, not kill the enemy armor knights.

Some people like pairing Azel with Lachesis and give the kids magic swords, but I haven't found that do too much for them. Their 2-range still isn't turning any heads even with Azel's magic boost, and their otherwise awesome Str suffers. Alec is an okay non-Beowolf option that still passes down swords up to B-level (even promoted Alec can't have A swords). It also gives Nihil, but Nihil is kinda worthless.

You can always pass down a Silver Blade or Thunder Sword by killing the Ch3 bosses with the father and having them hold onto it, though that stops you from using that weapon for generation 1.

tl;dr beowolf > fin > alec/midir > azel

Jamka doesn't have pursuit, it's a class skill. too slow

Try Lachesis X Azel instead, Nanna will heal better and Delmug will destroy everything with bot normal and magic swords.

Anyway, Leif has critical, so a hero sword gives him double chance to activate critical, right? Unless I'm wrong and activating critical with a hero sword will make both hits be critical.

I do believe crits are rolled seperately for each hero sword hit. However, since Leaf already has Adept, I think the Hero Sword(s) work best on characters with Pursuit but no Adept such as Celice and other kids that generally do not inherit it such as Delmud.

I still to this day don't understand why people think this is a good pairing.

You can get dew 4 or so levels right off the bat by parking him on the church near where he and aideen spawn in chapter 1, while having aideen hightail it to where everyone else is (she is in no danger because all the enemies mob dew). There is a low chance of him dieing on any given enemy phase, but it's so worth it IMO.

YOu can also park him on a forest to fight the cross knights, but that's harder to do.

I just tried this and found that nana was good, but delmud's STR and MAG were both too low (in dosn't help that his class has low base STR and 0 base mag even when promoted.) THe inctredably low skill was also an issue, althouhg delmed gets +8 on promotion. In previous runs, i've tried lachesis/beowolf and lachesis/alec, both of which worked well.

Fin/aideen also worked well because it gives lester gets good stats and pursuit and lana gets a +5 magic conversation, although lester not inhereting bows is a flaw.

I also tried brigid/holin and thought it was really good. It gives both kids exactly what they need.

Edited by sirmola

inctredably low skill was also an issue, althouhg delmed gets +8 on promotion. In previous runs, i've tried lachesis/beowolf and lachesis/alec, both of which worked well.

Fin/aideen also worked well because it gives lester gets good stats and pursuit and lana gets a +5 magic conversation, although lester not inhereting bows is a flaw.

I also tried brigid/holin and thought it was really good. It gives both kids exactly what they need.

I second all of this. Raquesis/Alec is not a beloved pairing but it gets the job done. Midayle!Lester may've been more effective in Ch6-7 thanks to inheriting the Brave Bow but Finn!Lester did a competent job before getting good weapons and caused fewer restarts down the line. The +5 MGC for Lana was pretty sick, too.

Azel fixes the kids speed issue while mommy still assures Lex-level of strength, and skill isn't so much of a problem thanks to the power of balance for swords.

Edited by Sartek

The "power of balance" also fixes their speed "issues" by themselves. I can't think of a situation where I need Azel's extra speed where the pros from other pairings can't somehow make up that difference. Their speed is going to be overkill the majority of the time. On the contrary, extra strength is rarely overkill since enemies have so much HP. Unlike speed, there is no magic barrier beyond which it becomes superfluous.

General advice: always try to get 50 kills on a weapon to unlock critical. Critical is super broken in FE4 and weapons like the Hero Sword or the Light Sword are absurdly powerful with critical on it.

It's fairly easy to get 50 kills on a Steel Sword by just having Sigurd rampage through the first two chapters with it [+ first castle of Ch.2] and then shuffle it around among your team. It's not expensive and it helps dudes like Lachesis, Ardan and Alec a great deal. Dew unfortunately can't use it before promotion but he's generally hard to train without RN manipulation.

It's easy to get Ethlin and Lana to level 20... at chapter 1, no less, if you have the patience to grind with warp and return staves. You can also get Lex to level 14 or higher on the prologue by fighting that last axefighter boss over and over (make sure you're certain he won't die, since the grinding takes time. Or just use save states). Elite's a blessing.

If you let Dew visit a reasonable amount of villages, you may even grind Lachesis to level 20 by the end of chapter 2 by giving her enough for the warp or return staff.

I'd actually recommend Jamka as husband for Ayra. He's pretty worthless to have on the frontlines and he shares movement with her so they can just hang out together in the backlines and be self-sufficient via the arena. Skasaha not inheriting any Swords is kind of a non-issue because the swordtins aren't doing much in Ch.6 [or all of Gen 2 for that matter] and Jamka passes down awesome skills.

Noish is a good father in many pairings, I don't think it's a good idea to waste him on the swordtwins anymore. I'd recommend trying NoishxFury - both Noish!Fee and Noish!Sety are pretty ridiculous.

I'd actually recommend Jamka as husband for Ayra. He's pretty worthless to have on the frontlines and he shares movement with her so they can just hang out together in the backlines and be self-sufficient via the arena. Skasaha not inheriting any Swords is kind of a non-issue because the swordtins aren't doing much in Ch.6 [or all of Gen 2 for that matter] and Jamka passes down awesome skills.

Noish is a good father in many pairings, I don't think it's a good idea to waste him on the swordtwins anymore. I'd recommend trying NoishxFury - both Noish!Fee and Noish!Sety are pretty ridiculous.

Jamke/Ayra and Noish/Ayra were both all kinds of fun. Ayra and Jamke did indeed make a solid set of battle buddies and Ulster did just fine without any legacy weapons from Dad.

And someone can inherit Verdane without Jamke's SKL wrecking their stats.