Opinions on the Localized Names.

SaltyBucket

Perhaps the Scottish-based name for (formerly) Kinu hints that Revelation is the canon route and that interracial couples (Nohrian and Hoshidian respectively) are supposed to be a thing. Say that Kaden marries Charlotte, and Charlotte decides to give Kinu, a Nohrian-inspired name, which would be Selkie.

However, that doesn't make sense for Kinu still having Selkie as a name in Birthright where no interracial romantic relations are possible.

Not saying this is right; I'm only musing.

Edited by Leif

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Selkie? Isn't that the name of the pretty thief race in Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles?

It is, which is what I came across when looking up the name. (One of the characters from CC mentions coming from the sea and eventually going back to it)

Perhaps the Scottish-based name for (formerly) Kinu hints that Revelation is the canon route and that interracial couples (Nohrian and Hoshidian respectively) are supposed to be a thing. Say that Kaden marries Charlotte, and Charlotte decides to give Kinu, a Nohrian-inspired name, which would be Selkie.

However, that doesn't make sense for Kinu still having Selkie as a name in Birthright where no interracial romantic relations are possible.

Not saying this is right; I'm only musing.

Well, there's still Felicia, but I suppose there's a higher probability that Kaden will get paired with another person from Hoshido.

I can see how you came to the conclusion about the culturally diverse names being a hint at the Revelation route being pushed as the "true" ending to the conflict. That's kind of how I saw it as well.

Selkie. As in the mythical creature? That's really a bit of a weird choice. There based on seals and not foxes after all.

Oh well, still think it sounds cute as a name. So I'll get used to it. They probably meant it as a play on 'silky'.

Edited by May_Patra

I don't mind Selkie but it's just not Japanese. Like, I can think of at least two names off the top of my head that can have that fabric meaning and still be Japanese, it's not that hard.

Does Treehouse know that Hoshido is meant to be not!Japan, right? 'Cause it sure doesn't feel like it.

I think "Selkie" would fit better with Velour but whatever, I guess.

Okay, I got that off my chest, again.

Edited by December Knight

I don't really know what to think of Keaton. It'll take forever to get used to calling him that instead of Flannel. I think Shura is fine though. I do still like Kinu more than Selkie.

And lol I'll probably be unsatisfied with whatever Velour's name is.

Selkie. As in the mythical creature? That's really a bit of a weird choice. There based on seals and not foxes after all.

Oh well, still think it sounds cute as a name. So I'll get used to it. They probably meant it as a play on 'silky'.

The way I see it is (and as someone explained), they're making it a play on 'silky' while also taking the inspiration of the selkie mythical creature, but instead of seals, foxes.

Edit: The only "non-Japanese" names we've gotten for the Hoshido side are Corrin, Caeldori, Rhajat, and Selkie. That's four compared to 24~ names that are Japanese or at least Japanese inspired names.

Edit 2: Zoura is now Zola

Edited by KazeNinja17

Non-Japanese names for Hoshido children can sort of be hand waved by the option for their fathers to marry Nohrian women. We can contrive it as the mother naming the children in that case.

That's my only explanation for names like Selkie

I mean, I think all of the children names can be hand-waved in regards to cultural inspiration, given you don't have to give your child a name that is exclusive to the culture you belong to. As much as I don't like the name Caeldori, Tsubaki seems like he could literally see a Nohrian name or something and say YES. I LIKE IT. Same for Tsukuyomi and Kaden, I guess. I mean, a friend of mine is from India and she was named after an American celebrity.

The way I see it is (and as someone explained), they're making it a play on 'silky' while also taking the inspiration of the selkie mythical creature, but instead of seals, foxes.

Edit: The only "non-Japanese" names we've gotten for the Hoshido side are Corrin, Caeldori, Rhajat, and Selkie. That's four compared to 24~ names that are Japanese or at least Japanese inspired names.

Subaki. Kaden (consumer electronics?) is also questionable as a name.

I mean, I think all of the children names can be hand-waved in regards to cultural inspiration, given you don't have to give your child a name that is exclusive to the culture you belong to. As much as I don't like the name Caeldori, Tsubaki seems like he could literally see a Nohrian name or something and say YES. I LIKE IT. Same for Tsukuyomi and Kaden, I guess. I mean, a friend of mine is from India and she was named after an American celebrity.

We live in a globalized society. If Nohrians and Hoshidans often merged, that argument might have full ground but it appears they don't (Ashura is the only Hoshidan that is known to live in Nohr and no Nohrians live in Hoshido, as far as I am aware).

We live in a globalized society. If Nohrians and Hoshidans often merged, that argument might have full ground but it appears they don't (Ashura is the only Hoshidan that is known to live in Nohr and no Nohrians live in Hoshido, as far as I am aware).

Hmm, you're right, I didn't think about that. Just trying to rationalise it in some capacity or another. Like I said, I don't necessarily approve of the names but it's a possible explanation Treehouse could use, right?

Subaki. Kaden (consumer electronics?) is also questionable as a name.

Subaki is essentially Tsubaki, just without the T and Kaden is a Japanese name.

Do you know any actual people with the name Kaden? I googled it but only found references to the western name Kaden (an arabic origin name, apparently).

It doesn't really work like that. Tsubaki is ツバキ (椿) and Subaki スバキ is and one means Camellia (which is referenced several places in the script) and one doesn't really mean...much of anything.

I'd probably be less salty about it if it weren't for Sakura's squad having flower themed names getting messed up in that process. You may think it's one letter, but it makes a lot of difference in context.

Edited by Thor Odinson

It doesn't really work like that. Tsubaki is ツバキ (椿) and Subaki スバキ is and one means Camellia (which is referenced several places in the script) and one doesn't really mean...much of anything.

I'd probably be less salty about it if it weren't for Sakura's squad having flower themed names getting messed up in that process. You may think it's one letter, but it makes a lot of difference in context.

You're right. I didn't consider the meaning once it was written in Japanese. I was mostly referring to it when it was written in English, but I do understand what you mean.

Do you know any actual people with the name Kaden? I googled it but only found references to the western name Kaden (an arabic origin name, apparently).

I knew a guy named Cadence once but, other than that, I don't think I've ever heard the name Kaden. That's just me, though. There could be someone out there with a one-of-a-kind name--I mean, I myself have a pretty distinct name that I'm hesitant about revealing because I know people will be able to find me.

I think "Rhajat" is pronounced "Raw j at.

An Indian friend of mine says it's pronounce Ra (like the egyptian sun god) ja (like the start of jaw) t.

-

My opinions some of the localized names don't seem localized, doesn't make a lot of sense to change names that are more or less English to begin with. Joker kept reminding me of Mass Effect and sounds more like a nickname than somebody's actual name.

Happy with some, confused by some, and not particularly upset by any.

I knew a guy named Cadence once but, other than that, I don't think I've ever heard the name Kaden. That's just me, though. There could be someone out there with a one-of-a-kind name--I mean, I myself have a pretty distinct name that I'm hesitant about revealing because I know people will be able to find me.

To find the Japanese meaning of Kaden, I typed "Kaden Japanese name meaning" and found a few results for it. That being said, I don't hear the name Kaden used often anywhere, but it's definitely a name with what appears to be multiple meanings, origins, and spellings. Take the name Ilse for example, it's of German origin, but you mostly see the variation "Elsa" used everywhere.

To find the Japanese meaning of Kaden, I typed "Kaden Japanese name meaning" and found a few results for it. That being said, I don't hear the name Kaden used often anywhere, but it's definitely a name with what appears to be multiple meanings, origins, and spellings. Take the name Ilse for example, it's of German origin, but you mostly see the variation "Elsa" used everywhere.

This is true. Although recently I think that's mostly Frozen's fault... mixed with some Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.