Opinions on the Localized Names.

SaltyBucket

This is true. Although recently I think that's mostly Frozen's fault... mixed with some Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

And then you have my name, Kent, which is uncommon in terms of actual people being named Kent, but quite common for places and fictional characters to be named Kent.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, why were talking about the name Kaden again? To see if it had any Japanese origins?

Because people are grumpy, since all they can think of (understandibly) is Kay-den, aiand then you have the person once in a while who points out that Kah-den is a thing, and then more people come, and the cycle continues.

Wait, why were talking about the name Kaden again? To see if it had any Japanese origins?

Because people are still grumbling about how the Hoshido side seems to have "too many non-Japanese names"

Because people are still grumbling about how the Hoshido side seems to have "too many non-Japanese names"

I think I've more or less come to terms with the name changes at this point. The game is coming out next week and I am still ready to get my hands on it despite the changes.

I think I've more or less come to terms with the name changes at this point. The game is coming out next week and I am still ready to get my hands on it despite the changes.

Same. Plus, name changes were going to happen regardless of Hoshido being pseudo-Japan and Nohr being pseudo-[insert European country]

GameStop had as Streetpass units Ippei (Hisame?) / Minori (Mitama?) / Shinobu (Shinonome?) / Goro (Gurei?) / Musashi (?)

Ippei is a weird choice if it is Hisame. Shinobu is interesting choice for Shinonome if so. Goro completely throws out the child anagram if that's the case.

For the most part the name changes are terrible.

Apparently they think that names with more than two syllables (and which aren't English) are too difficult for people? And not only are the Japanese names being butchered to shorter versions that just sound terrible (Mozume, Kazahana, Suzukaze) but even french names like Benoit and Eponine are apparently too much?

It's particularly aggravating considering I'm currently at University (and universities in the UK are very multicultural), and know people with all kinds of different names and backgrounds, many far more complicated than anything in Fates. The dumbing down of even relatively simple names in these games is painful.

Edited by EJ107

Because people are grumpy, since all they can think of (understandibly) is Kay-den, aiand then you have the person once in a while who points out that Kah-den is a thing, and then more people come, and the cycle continues.

Can you blame them though? Kaden is gonna be thought of as "Kayden" and that sounds like something some white soccer mom from Illinois would name their kid in an attempt to be "original".

So after reading this article on Trails in the Sky SC's localization, It got me thinking that maybe some of the name shortenings (looking at you Kaze and Hana) were do to line limits or other random programming glitches rather than Treehouse thinking we're idiots (This doesn't explain Caeldori, which is longer than マトイ).

It could also be (at least for Kaze and Hana) that they didn't want two units with "Kaz" in their names.

These are just theories though.

Edited by Hunter Saltblood

So after reading this article on Trails of the Sky SC's localization, It got me thinking that maybe some of the name shortenings (looking at you Kaze and Hana) were do to line limits or other random programming glitches rather than Treehouse thinking we're idiots (This doesn't explain Caeldori, which is longer than マトイ).

It could also be (at least for Kaze and Hana) that they didn't want two units with "Kaz" in their names.

These are just theories though.

Well... We hava Kana and Hana.. isn't it more similar than Suzukaze and Kazahana.. :/

Well... We hava Kana and Hana.. isn't it more similar than Suzukaze and Kazahana.. :/

That's what I said when I wrote:

Edit: Completely misread what you wrote. Sorry.

You've got a point there. Well, I'm no localizer. All I'm doing thinking of reasons why some of the names were changed.

Edited by Hunter Saltblood