Gamexplain is doing a Hoshido Livestream!

Water Mage

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nanako calls you "big bro" in Persona instead of onii-chan.

But virtually every other honorific is left unchanged. It just looks very unprofessional and weeb catering, especially since virtually every other part of the Persona games' localization is really good; the average person shouldn't have to look for translations of something in a game that's purportedly translated into their own language.

Regarding the honorifics for the older siblings, I think that in the English localization it should be toned down. By a lot.

In Asian countries like Japan, Korea, and China, honorifics for one's older siblings is a cultural thing and so it doesn't look weird in those languages. In certain parts of the west, most people would just call their sibling by name and I don't think they'd call each other "Big Brother/Sister" that often. So trying to preserve the honorifics in an English translation makes it look odd and repetitive.

Personally, I don't even use honorifics at all when I'm speaking in English -- even if I'm speaking to or about someone older than me. It just doesn't sound right.

I can understand why they kept that for Hoshido, since it's the "japanese" side. I'll understand if honorifics wasn't use in Nohr.

But... this game have a great deal with the sibling thing, so they kept that to point out the real relationship between the royals families.

Oh, and maybe these honorifics are part of their... how I can word it... their "lineage respect rules" ?