The Shannara Chronicles

Life

I'm not a huge fan of fantasy. I mean sure, the Lord of the Rings was great in general but the books are a bit of a slog to read. The Song of Ice and Fire series is excellent but that's rare. And a lot of other fantasy books, movies and tv shows are usually either impossible to achieve immersion due to the main characters having the personality of wet cardboard (Divergent and Hunger Games are good examples of these) or just plain bad (Jupiter Ascending is the textbook example).

However!

I started watching The Shannara Chronicles because I was bored and found out in the main credits that Manu Bennett was in this. So I continued watching because it's motherfucking Slade Wilson. And I found something interesting.

It's actually pretty good.

Not amazing. I watched two other series with it and TSC is clearly worse than both of those. That being said, those series were the 2015 mini-series remake of And Then There Were None (better than House of Saddam which was fucking incredible) and The Magicians. Up against those, it's no surprise that TSC comes third.

But the story is intriguing. The characters are amazing well-rounded and believable in their personalities. The visuals are stunning. Manu Bennett is a god. Gimli is the goddamn king of the elves. The little girl from Pan's Labyrinth has grown up and is stunning (Ivana Baquero).

And then there's Poppy Drayton. I swear that if I ever meet her, I will immediate get down on one knee and ask to marry her. This isn't even a joke; I am legitimately in love with that woman.

So does anyone else watch this show? Has anyone else read the books? Please don't ruin either for me, I just started reading The Elfstones of Shannara after finishing The Sword of Shannara (starts off as a Fellowship of the Ring knock-off and turns into a well written epic).

tumblr_nzqn4e2yc81v09u0zo1_1280.jpg

From left to right, you have Austin Butler (Wil Ohmsford), my goddess Poppy Drayton (Amberle Elessidil) and Ivana Baquero (Eretria). And the only thing better than marrying Poppy would be a threesome with her and Ivana.

Edited by John Barrowman

Read the Shannara series when I was a kid. I didn't know that it was turned into a show!

I suggest reading through the entire series. Terry Brooks is a hell of a writer!

I'm working on the series.

I just finished the Sword of Shannara about 15 minutes ago and it really feels like The Fellowship of the Ring if Tolkien was going for character development rather than an epic. Menion Leah has got to be one of my favourite characters to read about in a long time. Excellent arc over the entire book. Both him and Flick are excellent.

I'm reading the Elfstones of Shannara (I just got the book two days ago) as of right now, then I plan to read the Sword of Shannara in the future. I honestly watch the show only because of Manu Bennett *cough*SLADE*cough*, terrible fan lol.

Both I guess. The acting isn't great (this is MTV we're talking about) but it's completely watchable. As I said, if I measure it against The Magicians, it doesn't come close.

And I watch because of motherfucking Slade Sparticus Wilson and my future ex-wife, Poppy Drayton.

Edited by John Barrowman

Read the Shannara series when I was a kid. I didn't know that it was turned into a show!

I suggest reading through the entire series. Terry Brooks is a hell of a writer!

Didn't know you had read the Shannara books too!

I'm a pretty big fan of the series overall, and espcially the prequel series to the whole thing, the 2 trilogies being the "Word & Void" and Armageddons Children (Which starts the whole Shanarra mythos as a whole.

• 3 weeks later...

Enjoying the show so far, I like the actors they have, and thought it was hilarious they had John Rhys-Davies, who played Gimli, play the elf king in the show. I am wanting to get into the series, just having a hard time actually finding the books anywhere, doesn't help my local Barnes & Noble either closed down or moved locations.

Seeing the Shannara Chronicles getting turned into a TV series is giving me hope that someone decides to turn Dragonlance Chronicles or the Drizzt series into a TV Show or movie.

Edited by Tolvir