GameXplain's Fire Emblem Fates Q&A Part 1 Video

Kaze

Well I took what you said too much at face value, my bad.

People will always be critical yes, but at the end of the day, people have to think "Did this entertain me?" More than, "Is this a work of art?". Games at the end of the day will be entertainment, for better or worse. Resident Evil 1 will always be known for its hokey voice acting and silly plot, but people still love the execution of the game itself.

Fates, for all intends and purposes could possibly have the worst story in the FE franchise for all I know, but I have no idea yet. People will harp on Awakenings plot all day, but they will still tell you its fantastic in the gameplay department and some in the character department. Theres something there thats driving us to play it, if we like/dislike the plot can be up for debate, the gameplay is kinda up for debate in circles too, but there is something there that drives people to play it.

Overly critical people get on my nerves because they feel they can tell me how to feel about something, when something needs to be experienced by ones self to truly gauge it and make an opinion on it.

I agree with you, to an extent. Odd, considering elsewhere and IRL I'm considered an overly critical, negative person.

Really, the key thing to do when criticizing any work of fiction is to be chill about it.

At the same time, I don't see anything wrong with hoping for less obvious issues with the series writing. It's never been the greatest, but we've got two extremely poorly written entries in a row.

Edited by The DanMan

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you, to an extent. Odd, considering elsewhere and IRL I'm considered an overly critical, negative person.

Really, the key thing to do when criticizing any work of fiction is to be chill about it.

At the same time, I don't see anything wrong with hoping for less obvious issues with the series writing. It's never been the greatest, but we've got two extremely poorly written entries in a row.

I'm glad you didn't think I went a little too into that, I guess I don't mind people being critical, its more that when people tell me how to feel is when I get annoyed.

Yeah, we can have better writing and I think the series needs to go back to when it was more character driven via its plots although FE13 had some of it, I'm going back to when the series started, FE1/3/11/12 is Marth's motivations more so then the plot told him to do something for instance. Its his motivations that become the plot so to speak, and FE kept this going for awhile.

Edited by Jedi

three if you don't count the remakes, hell, three with remakes counted thanks to NM, also I say this not even knowing if I will dislike Fates' plot yet

I'm willing to sacrifice story if it means better gameplay, and Fates certainly seems to deliver on that department, so I'm fine with a lackluster plot if that's the case for me.

Let's see how the localization handles the story before we make assumptions. Once it comes out, however, I plan on examining the three Fates stories with a critical eye, especially after the yawn-fest plot that was Awakening.

Edited by Leif

three if you don't count the remakes, hell, three with remakes counted thanks to NM, also I say this not even knowing if I will dislike Fates' plot yet

Radiant Dawn's worked till near the end of P3 and NM's main issue was the forced sideplot with the assassins, Kris wasn't THAT bad overall especially when you compare them to say Robin, plus History forgot them anyway, other then that it worked and got Hardin's stuff all done well still.

Edited by Jedi

Naga forbid if somebody has a different opinion or tastes

it's not like you've actually played the english version only looking up plot summaries spoiling the game for yourself

Edited by Captain Karnage

Naga forbid if somebody has different opinion or tastes

it's not like you've actually played the english version only looking up plot summaries spoiling the game for yourself

^ This.

Derrick from Gamexplain was really enjoying the Conquest plot, so I'll remain hopeful that I'll get a plot similar to Law Route!Tactics Ogre.

Did anyone else feel annoyed that hes reviewing a Fire Emblem 3ds game but has only just barely played Awakening

I kinda am, considering GameXplain really needs to have an FE person on board.

They do really great for the things they have plenty of knowledge in, but they should leave this stuff for people who actually know what they are talking about.

It only really annoys/annoyed me when he does the 'information' or discussion videos where he has no idea what he's talking about because he's only finished like two games in the series, and isn't familiar with a lot of the mechanics introduced in others. I like him but it's a wonder he even does research for his videos. Either way, I have no problem with him doing a review since he is the FE guy for GameXplain and I don't think finishing Awakening should be a prerequisite for playing/reviewing any others.

It only really annoys/annoyed me when he does the 'information' or discussion videos where he has no idea what he's talking about because he's only finished like two games in the series, and isn't familiar with a lot of the mechanics introduced in others. I like him but it's a wonder he even does research for his videos. Either way, I have no problem with him doing a review since he is the FE guy for GameXplain and I don't think finishing Awakening should be a prerequisite for playing/reviewing any others.

I'm a person who feels a reviewer needs to be familiar with a franchise to a fairly deep level to truly grasp what they are talking about, its why some reviews on sites bug me because they don't get someone well versed in a series or game to do reviews sometimes.

I'm a person who feels a reviewer needs to be familiar with a franchise to a fairly deep level to truly grasp what they are talking about, its why some reviews on sites bug me because they don't get someone well versed in a series or game to do reviews sometimes.

I guess so, but isn't the fact that he's a fan of the series and likes the games enough? It's better than Andre reviewing it.

I guess so, but isn't the fact that he's a fan of the series and likes the games enough? It's better than Andre reviewing it.

I'll concede that yes, its just... It feels awkward, I dno how to explain it any better then that. Sorry if I seemed a bit harsh there.

I'd prefer if the reviewers where more familiar with the franchise but I wouldn't blame them if they aren't. I'm annoyed because the Fire Emblem Fates is so close to Fire Emblem Awakening in many ways it feels somewhat hypocritical when he says he really likes the game its good but if its so good why couldn't he be bothered to finish Awakening?

I'll concede that yes, its just... It feels awkward, I dno how to explain it any better then that. Sorry if I seemed a bit harsh there.

No, no, no need to apologise. I completely understand how frustrating it can be, but in the case of Derrick I think it's harmless.

Absolutely agreed. It's nothing against the reviewer themselves, but it can give people the wrong impression and I'd be really annoyed if they claimed the game was hard for example, and it wasn't especially for long term fans of the genre. It'd be like if people wanted to know if Dark Souls 3 is as hard as its predecessors, but the person reviewing it hadn't ever played them. This sort of thing makes it a poor tool for consumers to judge quality off of, and this is only more amplified for niche products.

I'd prefer if the reviewers where more familiar with the franchise but I wouldn't blame them if they aren't. I'm annoyed because the Fire Emblem Fates is so close to Fire Emblem Awakening in many ways it feels somewhat hypocritical when he says he really likes the game its good but if its so good why couldn't he be bothered to finish Awakening?

If I'm not mistaken, he has streamed Fire Emblem 7 and is currently working on 8.

I'd rather have him play older FE games, not just Awakening.

Could be worst, he could be that one reviewer that before the review even started she started saying how much she hates strategy games, Then proceeded to give Radiant Dawn a 5/10 ,and said she doesn't recommend it unless you are a die hard fan of the series. At least this guy has at least respect for the series and seems to enjoy it. That and as much grief people are giving him over not finishing the game, I imagine finishing a game when you are a game reviewer is pretty difficult. As a game reviewer I imagine that you have a new game you have to review every few weeks, so when something as big as Fire Emblem comes around its probably difficult to finish. Especially when next month I think there are a few pretty big game releases coming. Can't imagine what it was like when Witcher 3 released.

Edited by Tolvir