Kids, and the logic behind them. Also, "Skinship"

Elieson

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a time skip would be an ideal way to handle the children, probably even the only way since you can only do time shenanigans for so long until you can't take the teenage parents seriously any longer.

However I think the current route Fire emblem is taking prevents a time skip from taking place. When pairing characters up it helps if those characters are attractive and I don't see it as a coincidence that the characters above 30 started to come in very short supply after the pairing feature became big in Awakening. A time skip would require you to age characters up which in turn makes a ''waifu or husbando'' less ''do-able'' to fans who are drawn by the pairing mechanic.

Which sucks for us who are actually over 30 and would like characters not named Gunther to be able to romance. And still not be going after characters who are basically teenagers. wheeeeh

I think a time skip would be an ideal way to handle the children, probably even the only way since you can only do time shenanigans for so long until you can't take the teenage parents seriously any longer.

However I think the current route Fire emblem is taking prevents a time skip from taking place. When pairing characters up it helps if those characters are attractive and I don't see it as a coincidence that the characters above 30 started to come in very short supply after the pairing feature became big in Awakening. A time skip would require you to age characters up which in turn makes a ''waifu or husbando'' less ''do-able'' to fans who are drawn by the pairing mechanic.

Yeah, it's definitely a bit of a downer to know that characters over 30 are being left out because of the pairing mechanic.

When I was thinking about the time skip I imagined a saga being told rather than just a singular journey to quell evil, providing ample time to pair eligible characters up before it happens but I know it's an unrealistic desire. I failed to take into account how Fire Emblem stories are typically laid out for us—it's given to us in chapters always with a battle rather than an ongoing of moments with everything in between being left to our imagination (in reality time skips are always apart of the game) so we'd end up arriving at the point of the game where children start to appear much faster anyway.

As for the pairing mechanic, I'd appreciate if the young fan base would be more open to the idea of more older characters in the roster and I'd like to see more characters be pushed together strongly by the story (like how Chrom and Sumia was) because that'd certainly make things easy for me. I actually don't like that children optimization is a thing. I hate having to care about it. I'm very much into the idea of taking whatever we've got and making the best of it.

As stoked as I am for Fire Emblem: Fates all the pairing up I have to do looks like a real chore. I'll be going in blind and it looks intimidating because I'm going to have to grind supports just to see who meshes best with who.

Edited by JasonsOrigin

"Wait, can't we all just go to the Secluded Realms and train until we're powerful enough to defeat the bad guys? We could spend years there and only a few days would pass in the real world."

"Dude, no. STOP MAKING SENSE."

This pretty much.

Honestly, the implementation of the kids this time may be dumb, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't glad they were back. I loved using them in Awakening, and I actually prefer this method to time travel, because fuck time travel. Is it dumb, yes, but it allows me to keep a game mechanic I like, so I'm cool with it.

I agree! If it was a last minute thing, and I was the director of FE: Fates, I would've tried to think of the most original (if not very good) crap I could come up with so I could include the Child mechanic... Though, I probably would've just done a time skip too I suppose... But it does leave you something to do when you try to get your kid back.

In Kana's paralogue, if you make it to turn 8 two bandits appear who you can either fight or capture... I think. :B

Edited by Ikarusu