What makes an anime an anime?

Metal Rabbit

Before you respond with a stupid answer, let me explain:

We're reading a tragedy in english, and the teacher went over elements of tragedies before reading. I mean in depth too, we even had a quiz on that. He told us that many experts still dispute about these elements of tragedy, and that the information he was giving us was info that was generally agreed on.

So... what are elements of an Anime/Manga?

I'll tell you now: There is no true answer to this, but I'd like to see what some people think.

Actually, there is an actual case pertaining to the topic of this..er...topic.

Avatar: The Last Airbender has anime-style animation. However, because it's an American show made in America, it's not classified as an anime.

In short, if it isn't from Japan, it can't officially be an anime.

Edited by Fireman

Actually, there is an actual case pertaining to the topic of this..er...topic.

Avatar: The Last Airbender has anime-style animation. However, because it's an American show made in America, it's not classified as an anime.

In short, if it isn't from Japan, it can't officially be an anime.

question answered.

Edited by Slayer

Merriam-Webster specifies only the style used, but that is beside the point of the thread.

There are cultural and stylistic aspects in terms of story presentation, artistic style, and involved cliches which mould my personal perception of anime. This is defined by Japanese animation so Japanese cartoons automatically qualify. Some Korean works fit into this, but not much else (as I see it personally). Despite the technical definition of the word in English, I don't see works produced or conceived outside of East Asia as anime because some of these elements are inherently substituted cultural ties to the country of origin. Keep in mind that I haven't really watched any foreign imitations of anime (such as Avatar) so my perspective is further biased. An interesting aside: I know that some animation from the US is outsourced to Korea but I don't know how much Japanese animation follows suit, does anyone know?

TLDR; It must be Japanese (and sometimes Korean) for my mind's eye to see it as anime.

Edited by Wist

to be quite honest, anime doesn't exist in Japan. to them, "anime" are their regular animated shows.

:mellow:

Edited by Anna the Tutorial Girl

Merriam-Webster specifies only the style used, but that is beside the point of the thread.

There are cultural and stylistic aspects in terms of story presentation, artistic style, and involved cliches which mould my personal perception of anime. This is defined by Japanese animation so Japanese cartoons automatically qualify. Some Korean works fit into this, but not much else (as I see it personally). Despite the technical definition of the word in English, I don't see works produced or conceived outside of East Asia as anime because some of these elements are inherently substituted cultural ties to the country of origin. Keep in mind that I haven't really watched any foreign imitations of anime (such as Avatar) so my perspective is further biased. An interesting aside: I know that some animation from the US is outsourced to Korea but I don't know how much Japanese animation follows suit, does anyone know?

TLDR; It must be Japanese (and sometimes Korean) for my mind's eye to see it as anime.

Wist wins the topic. The rest of you all suck.

Wist wins a lot of topics...

I still stand by the food needing to amazing or unmentioned. Or horrible to a horrible extent so much that it becomes a staple of the plot.

Anime is the Japanese word for animation. What makes anime an anime is being an animation.

Yes. Nothing else.

Edited by Wolf

I thought the topic was focused on opinions, I don't see how I won.... I butchered my grammar in the third sentence of the middle paragraph, I must not have been paying much attention.
Anime is the Japanese word for animation. What makes anime an anime is being an animation.

Yes. Nothing else.

I'm not entirely sure about that. 'Anime' was re/introduced to English as a loanword, and loanwords very frequently develop their own distinct nuances. For example, 'otaku' has noticeably different connotations in the US than it does in Japan. Edited by Wist

I thought the topic was focused on opinions, I don't see how I won.... I butchered my grammar in the third sentence of the middle paragraph, I must not have been paying much attention.

I'm not entirely sure about that. 'Anime' was re/introduced to English as a loanword, and loanwords very frequently develop their own distinct nuances. For example, 'otaku' has noticeably different connotations in the US than it does in Japan.

You won in the sense that you gave a real answer. To me, saying that it was made in japan is a stupid answer by itself.

That's my fault too for wording the question like i did.

I'm not entirely sure about that. 'Anime' was re/introduced to English as a loanword, and loanwords very frequently develop their own distinct nuances. For example, 'otaku' has noticeably different connotations in the US than it does in Japan.

Indeed. Otaku, in Japan, is an insult, meaning nerd. It's not something you want to be called. Over here, in the US, 13-year-old kids are running around going "I'm an otaku!", not realizing the actual meaning.