Lunatic+ - Reset, reset, reset.

Tanner

Hello guys, this is probably my first time posting here even though I joined a while back.

Now, here's something I dislike about Lunatic+

I'm pretty sure it's annoying to everyone (hell, to those doing Lunatic+-Classic, I salute your courage, but I'll stick to my pathetic casual run on it), but randomly given Lunatic+ skills.

I understand Lunatic+ is for those who complete the difficult Lunatic mode, but this is insane.

I can deal with Hawkeye, as long as it's not a unit equipped with a effective weapon, because then you are screwed unless you somehow get a lucky Dual-Guard.

Luna+ becomes a hassle when paired with Hawkeye. It's a huge pain to deal with. Alone, Luna+ isn't extremely difficult in the beginning if you are using Frederick to knight his way to Chapter 3.

Vantage+ ... eh I don't see the issue with the exception of those that get Luna+ with it, then you can't kill them before they use it.

Pavise+/Aegis+/Counter - these are annoying. They can't wait till after Chapter 3 to introduce these skills.

Chapter 3 - Oh god, I remember when I played this back when I was a Normal-Classic new player... I remember how easy it was. I regret ever having that mindset, especially in Lunatic+.You have to reset several times just to get a lucky break. Even then, if it's not Counter+/Aegis+ units, it's Luna+, Luna+ everywhere. Remember how I mentioned before Luna+ was a hassle only (in my opinion) when it was paired with Hawkeye? I take it back for this chapter only. If you get a good RNG with a lack of Pavise+/Aegis+/Counter, almost every time (at least with me) you'll get a boat load of Luna+ mooks.

I decided after 50 so resets in total I would finish up my Hard Classic save, get 99999 Renown and then play Lunatic+.

Discuss your rage love for Lunatic+

Here's the thing about those "random" skills, though- they're only random before the map has generated. Once it has, before you even choose who to deploy, you know what they are, and they never add more randomness to the map- each and every one of them will, depending on the situation, either always activate for the same effect, or do absolutely nothing. Thus, by carefully controlling the flow of the battle, you can deal with them entirely through tactics.

In theory, at least. In practice, a bunch of stuff that's already present in vanilla Lunatic- random AI movements, listed crit, imperfect Hit/DS, random growths and the like- can still screw you over, and has a greater chance of doing so when you're more limited in your approach by the Lunatic+ skills. But they're still totally manageable if you know what you're doing (see my sig for proof).

The other big problem with the mode is that, while you can deal with them through tactics, an average player has no way of knowing what those tactics are, since the lower difficulties not only don't teach you them, but go out of their way to teach you strategies that will get you killed in Lunatic+. You can only figure out what to do if you're either a prodigy or talk to someone who already knows themself.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

It's really a shame there weren't similar modes using Hard and Normal enemy stats. The concept was really interesting, but it gets a bad rep because Lunatic's strict enough as it is.

Indeed. I like Lunatic+ enough as-is, but Hard+ would be magnificent. Plenty more room for experimentation and playing with the units you want, and moreover it would actually reinforce good strategies that would help on Lunatic+, while giving you room to still pass if you don't get them perfect.