Regarding a certain marriage option...

Together We Ride

Again, there are plot spoilers here.

Sorry if this was brought up before, but judging by the My Room lines from Azura, it looks like you can still totally marry her, even though she's your cousin. Think NoA changed the story a bit to make it so there's no blood relation, or did they go full incest?

Edited by Together We Ride

I'm not 100% sure, but the world map synopsis states that Mikoto is Vallite royalty. So I'm betting the story is still the same.

Interesting, this would be the first time in western FE history where they'd allow cousins to marry. Even Awakening was censored to just make them "companions", which is what I was half expecting here. But those My Room lines sure do seem to indicate that her and Corrin can be lovers...

Honestly, first cousin marriages are less "squicky" than sibling (foster/adopted included). They're also actually legal in several western countries. So, I don't have much of an issue with this staying the same.

Would having a marriage between cousins even be an issue? Like, I remember from Tales of the Abyss that Luke and Natalia were in an arranged marriage despite being cousins, and that wasn't altered in the English translation in any way.

Edited by BrightBow

Would having a marriage between cousins even be an issue? Like, I remember from Tales of the Abyss that Luke and Natalia were in an arranged marriage despite being cousins, and that wasn't altered in the English translation in any way.

At least in North America, it's largely regarded as incest. Additionally, NoA thought it was issue enough in Awakening, since Owain and any of Chrom's daughters would just be called "companions", should they get an S rank.

I know we're talking about Nintendo here, but I still can't help but laugh and think, "Meanwhile, on Game of Thrones..."

This XD. (Looks at Jamie and Cersie)

Inb4 Mikoto and Arete are not sisters but best friends.

Here's a question though: what would change? I mean, I'm not necessarily advocating a change here, but if they did choose to change it just in case, it would literally not impact the game or their relationship in any way since no one even seems to acknowledge this.

Here's a question though: what would change? I mean, I'm not necessarily advocating a change here, but if they did choose to change it just in case, it would literally not impact the game or their relationship in any way since no one even seems to acknowledge this.

Isn't that a reason to change it though? It's literally the most pointless reveal of the game, happens in the last minute of a late-game chapter, never gets brought up again and kills the mood of the entire scene.

Yeah, the whole sister thing is one line. I don't even think Corrin says it out loud that he and Azura are cousins (Like Azura is not even in the cutscene). They could literally not mention Mikoto has any connection to Arete, and still the plot would be unaffected. Honestly, it would not surprise me though if Treehouse felt the need to change it from sisters to best friends.

Isn't that a reason to change it though? It's literally the most pointless reveal of the game, happens in the last minute of a late-game chapter, never gets brought up again and kills the mood of the entire scene.

But think of the weeblings! They'll swarm YouTube and shout about censorship and the glorious infallibility of the proud Nippon writing!

Honestly, they're probably going to change that line.

But think of the weeblings! They'll swarm YouTube and shout about censorship and the glorious infallibility of the proud Nippon writing!

Well hello there new signature quote. Edited by Hunter Nightblood

Again, there are plot spoilers here.

Sorry if this was brought up before, but judging by the My Room lines from Azura, it looks like you can still totally marry her, even though she's your cousin. Think NoA changed the story a bit to make it so there's no blood relation, or did they go full incest?

Well.... there's one pairing I won't be bothering with then....

I'm not 100% sure, but the world map synopsis states that Mikoto is Vallite royalty. So I'm betting the story is still the same.

Could be that they're cousins now, instead of sisters, which makes Corrin and Azura second cousins--far enough for most people to be comfortable with. Or one of them married into it--technically Mikoto would be royalty if she married Anankos.

I'd honestly be surprised if they left their blood relation in, though. It's handled so poorly by the story that cutting it out would change literally nothing, while keeping it might upset some people in the veins of "I married my COUSIN?!"

Edited by Abvora

$Wmミコト|3$w0|$Wsミコト|$Wa$E笑,|$SvpVOICE_MIKOTO_EVT_04|You are.$k$p$Eキメ,|Arete, the former queen of Valla, is\nmy older sister.$k$p$E苦,汗|Because of the curse, I wasn't able to\nsay anything about her before now...$k\n$Wsミコト

Oh boy.

And yes, it's literally just this one line. Even better:

$SvpVOICE_MIKOTO_EVT_02|Listen, $Nu. I have something...\nvery important to tell you.$k$p$b表情("プレイヤー",普通)|I was born here, in Valla. And you...\nYou are part of the Vallite royal line.

That came before this. In other words, they could have removed that line and NOTHING would have changed.

I'm still marrying Azura though

Edited by Hunter Nightblood

At least in North America, it's largely regarded as incest. Additionally, NoA thought it was issue enough in Awakening, since Owain and any of Chrom's daughters would just be called "companions", should they get an S rank.

It's incest no matter where you go, but universally in the US second cousins can marry, most states allow first cousins to marry. Whether there is a stigma attached or not doesn't really have a bearing on the legality it all, so it should be perfectly fine for them to marry in a medieval styled game where it would have been extremely common for royals to marry in their own bloodline.