General opinion about the localized version

Rapier

I made a deliberate decision not to read up too much on anything related to Fates during the lengthy period between its JP release and the stateside one. Knowing too much about Awakening before it came out -- both in the sense of having been spoiled, and of knowing all the little characterization and tone things that had shifted between the original script and the localization -- only had a negative impact on my enjoyment of that game. Decided I didn't want to deal with it this time around.

Anyway: So far, I'm really enjoying what I've played/read in-game!

I like it.

Especially when it comes to those like Soleil. The NoA Soleil is superior in every way over the highly offensive Japanese Soleil.

They also made Corrin... Not as dumb in Nohr and even Hoshido.

I don't like the handling of Niles and Rahjat though.

Edited by Pretty_Handsome

I like it.

Especially when it comes to those like Soleil. The NoA Soleil is superior in every way over the highly offensive Japanese Soleil.

They also made Corrin... Not as dumb in Nohr and even Hoshido.

I don't like the handling of Niles and Rahjat though.

That's funny, because I really, really like localised Niles. He makes me a lot less uncomfortable to be sure without completely erasing his character traits. I don't know about Rhajat though, but I heard her same-sex S support was supremely dulled down. I'm really interested to know what you don't like about the way Niles was handled though!

I don't want to seem to negative, but I dislike almost every change in the localization that I am aware of.

Name changes, changes to the Kanna supports, some of Soleil's changed supports, changes to Rhajat and Niles... Not to mention the removal of skinshipping and swimsuits.

Just about the only change I like is the KamuixSoleil support.

I wish they had stuck closer to the original's support. Almost every time they chose to deviate from the original supports, I like it much less. Would have been easier and more efficient to do more translating, less rewrite I would assume as well.

I do like most of the My Room and confession lines. So it's not all bad, but I'm not happy with most of the changes I know of.

Edited by XaosLogos

From what I've seen/heard, I like most of the changes they've done. I do have a few complaints though:

-The changes to Hisame and Effie. Hisame is just a gimmick now and Effie has too much emphasis placed on the 'muh muscles' part of her character.

-Removal of swimsuits. Skinship I can understand, but why swimsuits? Are they afraid that some ten year old will play this T for Teens game and suddenly know that breasts, belly buttons and legs exist?

-Some of the voices don't fit very the characters very well. Selkie, Velouria and Effie are particularly bad in this regard imo and Xander, while not bad, should probably be a little deeper

[spoiler=Third Route Stuff]

-It's very likely that Kamui and Azura are still first cousins. Easily one of the most pointless and terrible moments in the game and all Treehouse had to do was change maybe five lines of dialogue to fix it. I don't have any problems with that being the case in the Japanese version because it's not as much of a taboo over their, but leaving it in the localisation is indefensible.

Other than those minor quibbles and (one major complaint), I think this was a very good localisation.

Considering I haven't played the game (EU curse), I can't comment on most of these things. But the things that really bother me are the changes they made with Effie, and the lack of T in Tsubaki (effie being one of my favorite characters based on what jp spoilers I allowed myself to see, and Tsubaki happens to be one of my favorite names ever).

Will probably have some more minor gripes once I actually get to play the game, this thread certainly gives me some ideas what they could be. I also expect to get used to most of them.

I can't give my opinion on the whole game yet, but as of now they nerfed one of my favorite supports in the game and that's a bummer for me. In regard to voice acting, I think most of them have grown on me a lot.

Effie has too much emphasis placed on the 'muh muscles' part of her character.

Wasn't she like that in the Japanese version too though? Like, when I used her in Conquest, all she ever talked about was eating, fighting for Elise (and her friends) and having muscles; she's not exactly the most complex character in the game.

While some lines are rather clumsy (Leo's "TECHNICALLY ADULT!" being the prime example) and it really shows that a lot of the stiffness from the Japanese script remains, I find they've done a pretty good job with the localization.

As for voices, I like a lot of them but I noticed that Rinkah doesn't sound nearly as aggressive as she should, and Saizou's deep voice is gone for some reason..

That's funny, because I really, really like localised Niles. He makes me a lot less uncomfortable to be sure without completely erasing his character traits. I don't know about Rhajat though, but I heard her same-sex S support was supremely dulled down. I'm really interested to know what you don't like about the way Niles was handled though!

By poor handling I mean their support trees with the same gender Corrin.

Wasn't she like that in the Japanese version too though? Like, when I used her in Conquest, all she ever talked about was eating, fighting for Elise (and her friends) and having muscles; she's not exactly the most complex character in the game.

While some lines are rather clumsy (Leo's "TECHNICALLY ADULT!" being the prime example) and it really shows that a lot of the stiffness from the Japanese script remains, I find they've done a pretty good job with the localization.

As for voices, I like a lot of them but I noticed that Rinkah doesn't sound nearly as aggressive as she should, and Saizou's deep voice is gone for some reason..

Elise and protecting people get mentioned about once each in her Private Quarters lines, while everything else is some combination of muscles, breaking things, training and eating. She even mentions her biceps in her confession! Maybe I'm bias because localisation Effie reminds me of Kjelle, who I wasn't very fond of.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure Saizo still has a deep voice, just not as deep as his Japanese one. Rinkah could be more aggressive, but she's no delicate waif. She seems more distant than anything else.

Edited by Phillius

Elise and protecting people get mentioned about once each in her Private Quarters lines, while everything else is some combination of muscles, breaking things, training and eating. She even mentions her biceps in her confession! Maybe I'm bias because localisation Effie reminds me a lot Kjelle, who I wasn't very fond of.

I'd take talking about biceps over constant eating any day. I've never understood why the Japanese think it's funny when a character eats a lot.

Also, I totes thought you said "hot Kjelle" and I was like "yeah, you're right!"

Her strength was already explained. The girl became strong so that she could be a knight strong enough to protect her childhood friend Elise. She continues to be strong so that she can defend her allies as well. It was an incredibly sweet aspect to her character that blended very well with how obscenely powerful she was, since it indirectly tells us the strength of her resolve. I loved her to pieces.

But now it's like

"Muh biceps"

Help me I'm dying.

Her C and B supports with Elise are pretty much the exact same as the JP version. I don't think they excised part of her character as much as put more emphasis on her strength in-story. She's still about strength, training, and protecting Elise, from what I've seen. I think you're overreacting because of a few voiced lines.

Or do you have evidence towards the contrary?

I feel that the removal of skinship and the swimsuits was completely unnecessary.

There are quite of bit of supports I liked have been changed like Asama/Effie, Jakob/Gunther, Ignatius/Soleil.

I don't like how everyone but two kids will friendzone the Kanas.

The way they handled Niles' and Rhajat's same sex supports is lazy and worse than original.

I don't like how they ruined Effie and made the oyaji into the pickleman

There are a ton of voice actors that don't fit the character. Example would be Nyx who seemed cool and calm in the original and now sounds like a bratty kid or Forrest sounding having a much more masculine voice.

No dual audio after Awakening set the precedent even after removing 80% of the spoken dialogue.

And then there are all these changes that were made just for the sake of change including...

name changes (Harold, Marx, Leon, Tsubaki, etc)

class name changes (Sky Knight, Wolfssegner, Master of Arms, Great Master)

asset&flaw>boon&bane

I will admit that a lot of my complaints ultimately don't impact the gameplay which is the main reason why any of us play these games. However, I really feel that after reading the translated supports over the past 7 months and playing the fan translation for a month beforehand that this is a bad localization. All I hope for now is that the next FE is localized by a different group.

Marx makes sense though It was for the iip syncing probably.

The male costumes got cut too. Why not be upset at the removal of male swimsuits and not just female ones? It seems like a double standard to only care about one gender's swimsuits.

. Really? Huh. I wasn't even aware they were cut too. I can't even dress up my male avatar? SMH

By poor handling I mean their support trees with the same gender Corrin.

I get what you mean with Rhajat, her same-sex support with Corrin was butchered as fuck but Niles, not really. If anything they made it better. They dd not mention how weird it was that they were two males getting married, which is big improvement. If anything, minus that one thing, the supports between the original and localization are very similar. If anything ruined Nils, it was the removal of Skinship since that is where a lot of his character was if he married Corrin.

But again, I do agree with Rhajat, she is now just Tharja 2.0.

Oh yeah, so when I first met Subaki, I was like "hey, his voice reminds me of someone. Why does it remind me of someone and who is that someone?" Because it sounded kinda familiar.

Just a little while ago, I figured it out. He sounds kinda like Mako Tsunami from Yu-Gi-Oh. :P

btw guys, you can still strip down your guys in the Accessory shop. You just cant BUY swimsuits. :B

Overall, besides things like Effie and Nyx, i find the localization kinda nice. No huge complaints so far.