Please tell me this isn't true... (Saizo/Beruka C Support)

Daniel Santos

It's not butchered though...? No, seriously, here's the full localized support: http://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Fates_Supports/Saizo_Beruka

Also, (maybe just to me) it feels like they somehow achieved the point the C-rank was trying to get across without any words...

Taking out a whole support rank conversation is butchering the support line.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And that's the problem; the rest is unaltered and is lacking context thanks to the butchered C-support. Whether it was the intent or not, the fact remains that a support chain was disrupted to get a cheap joke.

Not at all, I just read the localized version, and I didn't feel any context was lost. Bear in mind that I read the localized version first.

It's not butchered though...? No, seriously, here's the full localized support: http://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Fates_Supports/Saizo_Beruka

Also, (maybe just to me) it feels like they somehow achieved the point the C-rank was trying to get across without any words...

...Let's say I'm an average consume and I've never read the Japanese supports (I have BTW); what are they talking about in the B-support and how did it come up exactly? They both did missions; what kind of missions (oh assassinations, why is this coming up so late?)? Why does this matter exactly when they were both staring at each other before?

The loss of context on how they're both killers that have amassed a sizable body-count is ruined thanks to how they cropped the C-support.

Here's a crazy hypothetical thought what if this was their support all the way to S rank and they just got married and had a kid. How? The world may never know...

There should be special dialogue after the S support that says "After long, silent stares. they became married and through their silence, a child was born."

There should be special dialogue after the S support that says "After long, silent stares. they became married and through their silence, a child was born."

This is why Revelations is the golden route.

And that's the problem; the rest is unaltered and is lacking context thanks to the butchered C-support. Whether it was the intent or not, the fact remains that a support chain was disrupted to get a cheap joke.

...Let's say I'm an average consume and I've never read the Japanese supports (I have BTW); what are they talking about in the B-support and how did it come up exactly? They both did missions; what kind of missions (oh assassinations, why is this coming up so late?)? Why does this matter exactly when they were both staring at each other before?

The loss of context on how they're both killers that have amassed a sizable body-count is ruined thanks to how they cropped the C-support.

I agree entirely.

What they did is forsake character development and meaningful dialogue for a failed attempt at a meme or joke. This is poor localization, laziness, or just plain not caring about the game they are working on period (or all of the above).

I wonder how the original writers of the game feel about this one.

Considering this support is ONLY available on Revelations, anyone who enjoyed the game enough to buy Revelations would know they are both assassins with large bodycounts solely because of their past playthroughs.

It's also a joke that takes NO effort to tell. No writing, creativity or talent went into that conversation. If they made a change and messed up, I would have forgiven the localizers for at least trying.

Considering this support is ONLY available on Revelations, anyone who enjoyed the game enough to buy Revelations would know they are both assassins with large bodycounts solely because of their past playthroughs.

To be fair, the support is for the them to know of each other, not to the player.

Though really, the B support alone gives the context they already learned it before, C support or otherwise. Though, is the change to ellipses really done with the intent of humor?

No, I think this is hilarious now. Especially the fact that the support ends with both of them smiling at each other.

You see, this is funny:

This is not:

And the real point here is that we lost dialogue and information in exchange for a 4 seconds flat joke.

So the intent is to rely on Revelations being a 2nd+ playthrough in order to rationalize removing the context of the original C-support? That seems like an even worse excuse, relying on the meta-contextual state of the game to rationalize a half-hearted translated piece...

everyone in this thread is missing the real problem here: only four iterations of "..."? come on, treehouse! if you're going to joke around like this, you've got to commit to it properly! give us at least as many lines of silence as there are lines of dialogue in the original support. make the silence feel long and meaty!

everyone in this thread is missing the real problem here: only four iterations of "..."? come on, treehouse! if you're going to joke around like this, you've got to commit to it properly! give us at least as many lines of silence as there are lines of dialogue in the original support. make the silence feel long and meaty!

You...might be onto something here. If they had used more lines and had more emotional changes, then there could be something to at least SALVAGE about the support.

My own apparently controversial opinions aside, part of me wonders the localizers mindset when doing this though. I mean, they had to expect some flak from this regardless, so why do this? Out of all the supports to translate (including one which is almost exactly like this in the original), why this one?

It's a Revelation support, and I'm never getting Revelation, so this doesn't bother me in the first place.

Even then, Beruka and Saizo's personalities are well defined enough that no one needed a conversation about how messed up their lives are. The silence only lasting a small time makes it feel real. I actually get that they understand each other even sans speech.

To be fair, the support is for the them to know of each other, not to the player.

Though really, the B support alone gives the context they already learned it before, C support or otherwise. Though, is the change to ellipses really done with the intent of humor?

It is either an awful attempt at humor, or it's a form of censorship as maybe they thought the original support, which was all about killing, wasn't appropriate.....

I really don't think there is a good or sensible reason for why a lot of these support changes were made, to be honest. They were just changing things because they felt like, I feel.

Edited by XaosLogos

It is either an awful attempt at humor, or it's a form of censorship as maybe they thought the original support, which was all about killing, wasn't appropriate.....

No it isn't, look at their B and A ranks. Mentions of killing is still there, almost exactly like the Japanese.

It's a Revelation support, and I'm never getting Revelation, so this doesn't bother me in the first place.

Even then, Beruka and Saizo's personalities are well defined enough that no one needed a conversation about how messed up their lives are. The silence only lasting a small time makes it feel real. I actually get that they understand each other even sans speech.

Two hardened killers pass each other in a room. They stare, and stare, not mentioning a word. They don't need to - they see it in their eyes. Those dimness, the eyes that have seen blood, the eyes that flashed in the darkness before they made their strike. The eyes that were the last thing that enemies saw before they crossed. Those eyes only said one line...

"I've seen some shit."

Support level increase.

Like seriously, if they changed the support to be the two of them juggling fish and joining the circus, I wouldn't be nearly as upset. At least that would have taken more effort than this cheap, decade old joke we got now.

I used to hate it when people go online to complain about localization changes and here I am turning into one of them. Someone needs to find the clown who thought this was a good idea.

Two hardened killers pass each other in a room. They stare, and stare, not mentioning a word. They don't need to - they see it in their eyes. Those dimness, the eyes that have seen blood, the eyes that flashed in the darkness before they made their strike. The eyes that were the last thing that enemies saw before they crossed. Those eyes only said one line...

"I've seen some shit."

Support level increase.

Best piece of fiction. 10/10 would r8 again.

I agree entirely.

What they did is forsake character development and meaningful dialogue for a failed attempt at a meme or joke. This is poor localization, laziness, or just plain not caring about the game they are working on period (or all of the above).

I wonder how the original writers of the game feel about this one.

Totally agree with this.

Also, if the mass of supports are anything like Awakening's, the serious ones are probably a very small fraction in a sea of "hilarity ensues" situations that personally interest me a lot less. There was really no good reason to mess with this support.

"I've seen some shit."

Support level increase.

That last bit is glorious out of context. I'm sigging that.

Like seriously, if they changed the support to be the two of them juggling fish and joining the circus, I wouldn't be nearly as upset. At least that would have taken more effort than this cheap, decade old joke we got now.

I used to hate it when people go online to complain about localization changes and here I am turning into one of them. Someone needs to find the clown who thought this was a good idea.

I think a comment on the video put it best; there were at least three people involved with this decision (the one that proposed it, the one that wrote it, and the one that signed off on it). MAYBE there was overlap and it was only one person, but then the fact remains that someone screwed up BIG TIME.