Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

Alright let's jump right on in with the summarizing then!

New Info

• The Sun legendary's name and typing has been revealed. Its name is Solgaleo, and its typing is Psychic/Steel. We also finally see its signature ability and signature move - the ability is called Full Metal Body and seems to prevent its stats from being lowered, and its signature move is called Sunsteel Strike.
  • The Moon legendary's name and typing has been revealed. Its name is Lunala, and its typing is Psychic/Ghost. (!!!) We also learn the name of its signature ability and see its signature move - the ability is called Shadow Shield and its signature move is called Moongeist Beam, and said move appears to be a Ghost-type move.
  • The battle interface has gotten an update.
  • Alola has been confirmed to be split up into several islands that have to be traversed by water.
  • The default trainer appearances are confirmed to be the black-haired, pale-skinned boy and the black-haired, pale-skinned girl.
  • Kukui is officially labeled to us as a Professor, and is most likely the professor for the region.
  • A new character was introduced to us as Lillie, Professor Kukui's "mysterious" assistant.
  • The dark-skinned, green-haired boy from the first trailer has a name: Hau, described as "your new friend in Alola".
  • Pokedexes have gotten a major update. There's now a Rotom inside the Pokedex that speaks to you. It's called a "whole new way for Pokemon and people to communicate".

Theories & Question (just things I've noted that I want to point out)

• If Kukui is now the official professor, what's Hala's role, considering that Hala is the one shown to give you your Pokemon? Does this mean Kukui, like Professor Sycamore, will give you a different Pokemon?
  • In Kukui's reveal spot, he tells the player "That could be the reason the region is chock full of rare Pokemon, yeah!" Does this mean Alola will only have new Pokemon? Or at least an abundance of new Pokemon rather than Kalos' mix of new and old (but majorly old)?
  • Since in the reveal trailer, Hau picked the Pokemon that was weak to yours, Lillie may be your "true" rival akin to Calem from Pokemon XY, and pick the Pokemon that's stronger against yours.
  • Is Lillie dubbed "mysterious" because she's also not from Alola either? She /is/ considerably paler than any native Alolian we've seen so far. I also wonder about her personality, as both of her portraits have negative expressions (her main one looks angry, while the in-game shot we get of her looks sad) and unlike Hau and Kukui, she says nothing.
  • Does this mean with the Rotom inside the Pokedex we'll be able to speak to Pokemon and understand them? The Rotom clearly speak English (or... Alolian, I suppose) and has a Pokemon, it can probably communicate to other Pokemon. This is a stretch, but what if that ties into the objective for the villain team of this generation?

If I missed anything, just tell me and I'll edit!

I'm going to quote your news summary because the one in the OP I threw together kinda sucks.

Anyways, as for theories:

-Hala is quite possibly the older, retired professor; he probably has more know-how on regional lore and such, while Kukui is the "pokedex completion" guy. I kinda doubt Kukui will have another trio for you to pick from.

-Predominantly new Pokemon seems likely, due to wording and the Salamance/Gengar used as test dummies for the legendaries' moves in the trailer.

-Thinking the same thing. Female main rival hype.

-Interesting; no real comment.

-Once again, I have no real idea here.

Edited by The DanMan

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pokemon Sun and Moon's official site has some more details regarding the legendaries:

Apparently, Sunsteel Strike and Moongeist Beam disregard the target's ability. And Shadow Shield reduce the amount of damage you receive from an attack when the pokemon is at full health, so it seems to be similar to Multi-scale.

I'm hazarding a guess that Sunsteel Strike is Steel type to go along with Moongeist Beam being Ghost type.

What should we assume for HP EV/IV for Solgaleo? Cause say if we assume 31 IV/0 EV, Solgaleo has 137 base HP.

Figured it out, maybe. Gengar had 120 HP, which his minimum for level 50. Salamence likewise had 155 HP, his minimum for level 50. So if Solgaleo had 212 HP, than his base HP is probably 152.

Edited by Konnor97

Another thing I noticed: the circular areas Pokemon stood on in battle are indeed gone. Some people were thinking that it was only for your first rival battle, which is what happened in X and Y.

Pokemon Sun and Moon's official site has some more details regarding the legendaries:

Apparently, Sunsteel Strike and Moongeist Beam disregard the target's ability. And Shadow Shield reduce the amount of damage you receive from an attack when the pokemon is at full health, so it seems to be similar to Multi-scale.

So they can crit through Battle Armor and one-shot through Sturdy? Interesting.

Solagleo already looks like it's got the better ability of the two.

EDIT: Sun and Moon along with Pokemon Go(?) will be shown on the Treehouse stream at E3; looks like things are going a tad better than expected in the E3 department.

Edited by The DanMan

Link?

I can't seem to find it

Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

Ooh! Very nice.

Although I did just realize that Lunala will probably have a 4x weakness to Ghost. Yikes.

However I'm not surprised at all that Solgaleo and Lunala are Psychic-types, since the other sun and moon Pokemons were psychic as well.

But with the news that they're psychic + the Rotom Pokedex... I have a wacky theory.

... What if they can speak to us?

I'm going to quote your news summary because the one in the OP I threw together kinda sucks.

Anyways, as for theories:

-Hala is quite possibly the older, retired professor; he probably has more know-how on regional lore and such, while Kukui is the "pokedex completion" guy. I kinda doubt Kukui will have another trio for you to pick from.

-Predominantly new Pokemon seems likely, due to wording and the Salamance/Gengar used as test dummies for the legendaries' moves in the trailer.

-Thinking the same thing. Female main rival hype.

-Interesting; no real comment.

-Once again, I have no real idea here.

No problem!

Hmm... “the beast that devours the sun" and “the beast that calls the moon".

Main villain team trying to use either of them to bring about eternal darkness, anyone?

But with the news that they're psychic + the Rotom Pokedex... I have a wacky theory.

... What if they can speak to us?

Remember that in Ruby and Sapphire there was a Devon scientist who was creating a machine to see the dreams of Pokemon? And in a later Gen, we actually got to see the dreams of Pokemon!

In that same game, there was another Devon scientist who was trying to create a machine to talk to Pokemon!

With the Rotom Pokedex...Perhaps we finally can talk to them!?

Hmm... “the beast that devours the sun" and “the beast that calls the moon".

Main villain team trying to use either of them to bring about eternal darkness, anyone?

Simply calling the moon won't bring about darkness, since the moon doesn't generate its own light.

Unless they like... knock it out of the sky, but you'd destroy the planet with the tidal fluctuation instead of achieving eternal darkness.

Edited by Vashiane

Rotodex is best Pokedex.

Sucks we didn't get any new Pokemon, but I like the new human characters and it was nice to see Alola in full.

Simply calling the moon won't bring about darkness, since the moon doesn't generate its own light.

Unless they like... knock it out of the sky, but you'd destroy the planet with the tidal fluctuation instead of achieving eternal darkness.

Eh, 'twas a theory. Still wouldn't be surprised if their objective is something similiar.

Apparently Japan got a different trailer this time around too, because I'm seeing some new things.

Mainly these images from this tweet.

[spoiler=Images]

Cj8wFnlUkAAmXU_.jpg

Cj8wFsLUYAEFTDg.jpg

Cj8071IVAAA8hdd.jpg

Take this with a grain of salt but: the tweet also says that Kukui studies Pokemon moves.

Edited by Vashiane

Apparently Japan got a different trailer this time around too, because I'm seeing some new things.

[spoiler=Images]

Cj8wFnlUkAAmXU_.jpg

Cj8wFsLUYAEFTDg.jpg

Cj8071IVAAA8hdd.jpg

Take this with a grain of salt but: the tweet also says that Kukui studies Pokemon moves.

What if we got more than four moves for our Pokemon to use now. 80

[spoiler=Images]

Cj8wFnlUkAAmXU_.jpg

Cj8wFsLUYAEFTDg.jpg

Cj8071IVAAA8hdd.jpg

Kukui may study pokemon moves? Guess we may finally find out how Ratatta can get flame wheel.

And one google search brings up this:

Edited by The DanMan

SO! Serebii says that the Japanese site emntions a Melimeli Dexter. Second region, anyone?

I think you mean Melimeli Dex (spellcheck strikes?).

Very interesting; maybe a separate post-game area?

Solgaleo specs seems ridiculous. One shotting Mence with that much HP is pretty wtf although looking back its typing is a one way ticket to enter the group of "rekt by Primal Groudon"

It can also get wrecked by Volcarona (the Sun Pokemon) and Litleo (a lion).

The irony.

http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-us/alola-region/

"Professor Kukui is the Alola region's dependable Pokémon professor. He lives near your home and looks out for you. He's passionate about his research into Pokémon moves and has sometimes taken direct hits from Pokémon when there was something to be learned from it. Sporting a white lab coat slung casually over his bare torso, he shows off his own unique style."

Confirmed: Kukui does research into Pokemon moves.

"Lillie is a mysterious girl who assists the professor. This young girl is about the same age as your character, and she's working as Professor Kukui’s assistant for personal reasons. She's not fond of making Pokémon fight in battles, but she loves reading and has devoured many books. Lillie will play an important role in the story of Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon."

Damn, the rival theory got shot down fast.

"Hau is a Pokémon-loving young boy with a big appetite! He's the same age as your character. When you move to the Alola region, he makes friends with you right away. He has a real weakness for malasada, a famous treat in the Alola region, and he is always in search of malasada shops. He is a big-hearted boy who really loves Pokémon."

There are Hau trees in Hawaii; looks like we've got connections to Hala (and maybe Kukui) here after all.