Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

But its performance in battle so far is like WAYYYYYY over the standard of Mega Evolution in anime. Lets put it this way, Ash could have beaten Diantha's Gardevoir who went Mega if not for the form's limitation. A Mega Evolved Charizard X is unable to beat an Elite Four Mega evolution

How dumb is the anime lol. I saw the battle between Mega Voir and lolAshNinja and Voir just used Shadow Ball Shadow Ball Shadow Ball. So lame.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why I'm more interested in what Kusaka does with Sun and Moon.

And simultaneously worried after his and Yamamoto's health considering they do the series basically by themselves.

How dumb is the anime lol. I saw the battle between Mega Voir and lolAshNinja and Voir just used Shadow Ball Shadow Ball Shadow Ball. So lame.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure the whole "spam spherical-form move" in the anime is more for budget reasons than just lack of creativity.

Also, Greninja is a Dark type which are immune to Psychic type moves... :P I don't think Diantha's Gardevoir has been shown to know any Fairy type moves. Or I could be totally forgetting.

Edited by Anacybele

To be fair, I'm pretty sure the whole "spam spherical-form move" in the anime is more for budget reasons than just lack of creativity.

That would be pretty shitty if it were to be true.

Also, Greninja is a Dark type which are immune to Psychic type moves... :P I don't think Diantha's Gardevoir has been shown to know any Fairy type moves. Or I could be totally forgetting.

Iirc Diantha only made Gardevoir use Moonblast once and pretty much nothing hapenned besides booming Greninja. Still, Diantha was pretty much frozen solid and still during the combat with her lol telepathy moves.

M-Gardevoir vs Ash-Greninja was actually pretty fun.

Gardevoir knew Teleport, Psychic, Moonblast, and Shadow Ball. Psychic is unusable against Greninja, Teleport was used to get around, and Moonblast has a ridiculously large animation during use in the anime. All it leaves it with is Shadow Ball. Magical Leaf instead of Psychic would probably have remedied the issue.

I absolutely love the anime and think it's really fun. I hope that it stays pretty much the same for Sun and Moon, and Lillie, Glovehead, and Hau would all make interesting travel companions. I expect Rotom to be the group's Starlow if that makes sense. And who knows? There's always a possibility that Serena could come with Ash.

I'm also fine with Ash and TR staying, but I admit that I love the new Male protagonist's design so much that I would accept a change from Ash, just this once.

I'm one of those people who would take Special over the anime any day, so I can't really contribute much BUT

Ash's story by all means should have finished ages ago, I feel like keeping him around is pointless because he inevitably hits the reset button each region. Coming up with a new character makes far more sense than that approach.

Just my thoughts on the character. That's what you're talking about right?

I watched a single episode of the anime when I was four or five and have only seen assorted clips here and there, with no plans to watch it outside of maybe a few of the older movies and the spin-off specials.

I watched a single episode of the anime when I was four or five and have only seen assorted clips here and there, with no plans to watch it outside of maybe a few of the older movies and the spin-off specials.

You should at least try to watch the first and second seasons.

They're classics. And pretty good.

Ash's story by all means should have finished ages ago, I feel like keeping him around is pointless because he inevitably hits the reset button each region. Coming up with a new character makes far more sense than that approach.

I think I have to agree. I like the anime enough as it is now, but it would probably be even better if it were like Yu-Gi-Oh and introduced a brand new main protag in each regional series.

Heck if they want Ash in it he could take on somewhat of a mentor role to the new main character in each region.

Yeah, he could even just be a cameo. Yugi cameo'd in the first episode of Yu-Gi-Oh GX, after all. None of the other main protags got to do that in future series, though I would assume that it's because there's a larger time skip between GX and 5D's and 5D's and Zexal. Nothing says time skips like that are necessary for Pokemon.

I want more Evolution Special episodes. Alain is badass. I don't understand the hate for him. I really grew to love him when he gave that super angry look over Mairin's Chespin going into a coma and making her scared and sad. I was like "...o.o daaamn, never get on this guy's bad side. He means BUSINESS. Sooo cool."

I'm one of those people who would take Special over the anime any day, so I can't really contribute much BUTAsh's story by all means should have finished ages ago, I feel like keeping him around is pointless because he inevitably hits the reset button each region. Coming up with a new character makes far more sense than that approach.Just my thoughts on the character. That's what you're talking about right?

Err well my point is more like despite Anime has so many situations to be configured in favor of either the protagonist or the antagonist, some scenes and battles are horribly underwhelming. I expected Diantha's battle with Ash to be a bit more epic but a 7 min battle is lame. Also, I agree that Ash should have been changed by Gen III, it's too much Ash n' Pikachu.

I think I have to agree. I like the anime enough as it is now, but it would probably be even better if it were like Yu-Gi-Oh and introduced a brand new main protag in each regional series.

I must be honest but I cried when Yami left Yugi and his season with the Pharaoh ended. Specially when he lost the duel and his soul during the Orichalcos season. But then Jaden came with his Elemental Heroes and I quit the series because my favorite character left.

I cried at that point too, Quint, I totally get ya there. :( And I loved Joey to pieces. But I also loved Yusei and Crow in 5D's, and Astral in Zexal. With change can come some great things, man.

For all we know, Ash's successor could've been way more awesome.

You should at least try to watch the first and second seasons.

They're classics. And pretty good.

Eh, maybe.

As a side not, I'm personally kinda glad and surprised that the Pokemon fandom doesn't seem to suffer from kneejerk localization bashing. I'm seeing it happen in segments of the Monster Hunter fandom, of all things ("Why does it seem like the localization is making nothing but bad decisions this time around" while ignoring the fact that the game's Director approved every single name change and reasoning is given, or just dissing the reasoning entirely). It's just nice to see people not be so negative and nitpicky for once (though there's the people always bashing all the new Pokemon designs).

I absolutely abhor Alain, but for spoiler reasons in the Japanese airings.

[spoiler=duh spoilers]I never exactly enjoyed Alain in the ME Specials, but I didn't really care either way because it was just a special and wouldn't affect me. I mean, I always hate cool looking characters because cool is completely boring compared to funny or cute like say Ash, Clemont, or Bonnie. However, he then became a member of Team Flare. That wouldn't even be so bad, except he's competing in the Kalos League. Alain's first opponent is Trevor who he will absolutely destroy. I love Trevor and really would have enjoyed seeing him face Ash. Likewise, Alain being Ash's big opponent takes a lot of weight out of Sawyer because he doesn't really matter because of Alain.

The League is also making me dislike Sawyer, because I love Tierno too and it isn't fair to see Sawyer utterly deck Tierno.

If an Alain-esque "edgy" character becomes the MC I would quit the anime. I want a youthful, inexperienced character way more than a loser edgelord made for older players. I think the younger players deserve the most focus, so I'm glad that Ash is forever ten so that audience can connect to him. I also hated Yusei and loved Yuma, or didn't like Joey an loved Tea, so my taste style is probably pretty obvious. I actually hate the term awesome and would much rather have Ash be a bumbling idiot like in BW. That was way more fun for me than Alain or Kalos Ash, who I think is too competent and serious.

(One last thing: people who are in their twenties who want a darker, edgier MC who is as old as they are completely miss the point of the anime and even Pokemon itself.)

Edited by Ms. Bunch

Eh, maybe.

As a side not, I'm personally kinda glad and surprised that the Pokemon fandom doesn't seem to suffer from kneejerk localization bashing. I'm seeing it happen in segments of the Monster Hunter fandom, of all things ("Why does it seem like the localization is making nothing but bad decisions this time around" while ignoring the fact that the game's Director approved every single name change and reasoning is given, or just dissing the reasoning entirely). It's just nice to see people not be so negative and nitpicky for once (though there's the people always bashing all the new Pokemon designs).

To be fair, there's really isn't a localization in Pokemon games, since they are made with western audiences in mind.

To be fair, there's really isn't a localization in Pokemon games, since they are made with western audiences in mind.

Pokemon names are still changed substantially during translations; I'd imagine that it's not much of a problem now because of the games' getting simultaneous releases, compared to Japan getting them half a year before us.

One of the reasons I prefer Special is actually that. Each region has its own protagonists, they return when the remake arcs come and for occasional cameos, and most importantly keep their character development intact.

I feel like this is a far better way to handle regions than resetting Ash.

As much as I love, say, Diamond and Yellow, they had their time in the spotlight for their character development arcs. I wouldn't want to force either of them to stay the main protagonist because that wouldn't give others the chance to develop, nor would I want them to lose all their development and turn into a "newbie" again like Ash does every region.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

I find character development to be really unimportant. I'd rather have characters that are interesting from the onset like Iris and Cilan than a character who starts boring and grows into something else.

I don't like May or Dawn very much, but I love Iris and Cilan. Likewise, BW Ash has none of his experience and yet he's my favorite version of Ash. I love Clemont way more than Brock for instance, and Serena is still pretty cool either way.

Funnily, Team Rocket was way too serious for me in BW. I was relieved when they returned to being jokes in the Decolore Islands. I prefer it when every character is mainly defined by a select few traits. I also really love filler, way more than plot actually.

EDIT: as for Pokemon Adventures, it's way too serious and dark for my taste. I hate that good characters were portrayed as villains (E4, Surge/Sabrina/Koga) when they shouldn't be. I didn't like that Vaniville Town got attacked at the beginning of XY, and I didn't like that X had a tragic backstory. I especially didn't like that Arbok got cut in two. I actually did enjoy the more comical type parts about Red and Black/White, but that's about all that I actually read.

Edited by Ms. Bunch

I absolutely abhor Alain, but for spoiler reasons in the Japanese airings.

[spoiler=duh spoilers]I never exactly enjoyed Alain in the ME Specials, but I didn't really care either way because it was just a special and wouldn't affect me. I mean, I always hate cool looking characters because cool is completely boring compared to funny or cute like say Ash, Clemont, or Bonnie. However, he then became a member of Team Flare. That wouldn't even be so bad, except he's competing in the Kalos League. Alain's first opponent is Trevor who he will absolutely destroy. I love Trevor and really would have enjoyed seeing him face Ash. Likewise, Alain being Ash's big opponent takes a lot of weight out of Sawyer because he doesn't really matter because of Alain.

The League is also making me dislike Sawyer, because I love Tierno too and it isn't fair to see Sawyer utterly deck Tierno.

If an Alain-esque "edgy" character becomes the MC I would quit the anime. I want a youthful, inexperienced character way more than a loser edgelord made for older players. I think the younger players deserve the most focus, so I'm glad that Ash is forever ten so that audience can connect to him. I also hated Yusei and loved Yuma, or didn't like Joey an loved Tea, so my taste style is probably pretty obvious. I actually hate the term awesome and would much rather have Ash be a bumbling idiot like in BW. That was way more fun for me than Alain or Kalos Ash, who I think is too competent and serious.

(One last thing: people who are in their twenties who want a darker, edgier MC who is as old as they are completely miss the point of the anime and even Pokemon itself.)

What? I haven't seen anything saying that Alain is in the Kalos league. He isn't even trying to earn any badges. That would really be out of nowhere and kind of mess him up for me. -_-

Also, there's nothing wrong with cool looking characters. Cute and funny is fine, but cool characters can be, well, cool. And your tastes are like complete opposite of mine, it seems. I didn't care for Tea. Though I didn't dislike Yuma, I thought he was a pretty good character. Also, why did you hate Joey when he was pretty much at least half comic relief? That guy is hilarious a lot!

Edited by Anacybele

What? I haven't seen anything saying that Alain is in the Kalos league. He isn't even trying to earn any badges. That would really be out of nowhere and kind of mess him up for me. -_-

Also, there's nothing wrong with cool looking characters. Cute and funny is fine, but cool characters can be, well, cool. And your tastes are like complete opposite of mine, it seems. I didn't care for Tea. Though I didn't dislike Yuma, I thought he was a pretty good character. Also, why did you hate Joey when he was pretty much at least half comic relief? That guy is hilarious a lot!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JeyVL5FCCM8

This is the trailer for the League

I agree, there's nothing wrong with liking cool characters. I personally just don't really care for them is all.

I didn't hate Joey, he just never really interested me the way that, say, Tea or Mai did. I like his scenes with Mai a lot though.

I just found the trailer for the league, yeah, you're right. I can only hope there's SOME good explanation for Alain to be in this, other than his interest in the Ash Greninja transformation. I love this guy a lot and really don't want him to get totally ruined. I realize he's kind of an antagonist since he's on Team Flare's side, but I doubt he really knows what Lysandre and company really intend to do. Alain doesn't seem like a really bad guy given that he's shown to care for Mairin and such.

Look at how freakin' pissed he is after the Chespie incident happened!

800px-Alain_anger_SS035.png

This was that super angry look I was talking about before. I'm still thinking "daaamn. o.o" I can't even begin to imagine how he'll react when he finds out that Lysandre and his lackies were pretty much responsible for Chespie's coma.

Edited by Anacybele

EDIT: as for Pokemon Adventures, it's way too serious and dark for my taste. I hate that good characters were portrayed as villains (E4, Surge/Sabrina/Koga) when they shouldn't be. I didn't like that Vaniville Town got attacked at the beginning of XY, and I didn't like that X had a tragic backstory. I especially didn't like that Arbok got cut in two. I actually did enjoy the more comical type parts about Red and Black/White, but that's about all that I actually read.

It's not like they actually did anything in the games themselves, they just kinda hung out in their gyms/the league waiting for an 11 year old to kick their asses. Kusaka didn't exactly have much to work with, and all of them did become good guys at some point aside from Agatha who kinda just vanished from the face of the planet (she was killed during Yellow I guess?)

X wouldn't have come out if Vaniville didn't get trashed. Opinions or something on X's backstory, but whatever.

The overly violent/graphic stuff (like the mentioned Arbok) is mostly early weirdness from RGB. Yeah, Steven, Norman and Courtney #1 are killed in RS (later revived by Celebi) and Maxie #1 is killed by Archie #1 who is killed by the Guile Armor and Diamond comes very close to being killed by Giratina (Pearl's reaction implies he did before he reveals what really happened), but none of these instances have the same level of onscreen violence that RGB did.

And to explain the appeal of developing the character, in real life, people change. Maturing, growing up, learning, becoming better than you were, all are inescapable facets of reality. Characters are a reflection of the human race, if they don't grow and change, they're no longer an accurate representation of us.

Pokémon is no different.