Peri as Xander's retainer

BruceLee

Simple question. Can someone explain to me why Peri is Xander's retainer? I'm trying to think of a logical explanation but cannot for the life of me.

Support spoiler for Peri x Xander, Luna x Camilla and Laslow x Xander.

A-Rank Support, Xander saw Peri in a competition and admire her strength, determination and potential. He believed Peri to fit the bill of the retainers he was looking for a strong fighter that won't die easily in battle. (In S-Rank, Xander admits he though of Peri becoming his wife as another quality when he brought her in)

for Luna & Camilla: Garon was the one that introduce Luna to Camilla but then Camilla become fond of Luna cause she was "lovely" in terms of her strength (DLC stuff assuming how Garon met with the awakening Trio, I haven't played the whole awakening trio DLC)

for Laslow & Xander, it was the same thing Garon put Laslow as Xander's retainer. I would assume the same for Odin and Leo

edit: left out some parts

Edited by WildEagle18

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like, my problem is, yes, Marx arrested Hans and didn't believe he was rehabilitated--but how you gonna judge Hans when one of your retainers is a woman that kills servants because they annoyed her? We don't even know what the term "annoy" entails for Peri. For all we know, they could have blinked in a manner she did not agree with and she skewered them simply for that.

The game calls out Hans but we have supports with people brushing off her psychopathy as a quirk.

I love Marx but, like, f*uck me, bruh.

In her C Support with Jakob, she threatens to murder him and everyone in the area because he won't make her tea and stands his ground when she throws a tantrum. I think that's a good indication of what "annoy" means for her. EDIT: One of her lines during this is literally "Killing isn't fun when it's happening to me!" when Jakob rightly brings up that she'll be executed for going on a rampage.

Edited by AzureSen

Obviously bad things are bad when bad people do it. But when the "good" guys (to a cute lil' girl) does it then it's just an endearing quirk. I have less of a problem with Pieri and more so with everyone else for indulging her and letting her get away with this shit.

We are talking about the same Xander who doesnt question his mass murdering father until too late.

Well that's true, i can't argue with that, that could explain how he's ok with Peri as his retainer. But then are we also talking about the same Xander who:

Is opposed to the killing of surrendered Hoshidans because it's cruel? Who at the end of Conquest says he loves peace? Who's very sorry for all of the Hoshidan people that died?

What does the game want from me right now? To see him as a guy who is ok with the killing of innocents or a guy who's all about peace? Please make up your mind game.

In her C Support with Jakob, she threatens to murder him and everyone in the area because he won't make her tea and stands his ground when she throws a tantrum. I think that's a good indication of what "annoy" means for her. EDIT: One of her lines during this is literally "Killing isn't fun when it's happening to me!" when Jakob rightly brings up that she'll be executed for going on a rampage.

Is Jakob the only one? On another post, someone said her supports with Arthur and Charlotte basically glorify it.

Obviously bad things are bad when bad people do it. But when the "good" guys (to a cute lil' girl) does it then it's just an endearing quirk. I have less of a problem with Pieri and more so with everyone else for indulging her and letting her get away with this shit.

But, bruh, Peri isn't even that cute, tho

She isn't to me, at any rate.

For real, that's my problem, too. Her character and how she is treated in-game makes me convulse so fast, the molecules of my body vibrate fast enough to allow me to pass through solid matter.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

Is Jakob the only one? On another post, someone said her supports with Arthur and Charlotte basically glorify it.

The only supports I remember involving her and maids otherwise are Leo basically being like "stop it Peri" to her and her response is essentially just "no."

That and Felicia vs Peri in which Felicia wins.

\What does the game want from me right now? To see him as a guy who is ok with the killing of innocents or a guy who's all about peace? Please make up your mind game.

The game doesn't want you to think that hard. It just wants you to take everything at face value with no thought whatsoever.

I'm not sure about that. I was just giving an example of how she reacts when a servant annoys her. (And his logic was pretty sound: he only serves Kamui, ergo he won't do things for Peri.)

(And, on another note, I totally understand the Peri revulsion. I was originally going to pair her with Jakob because I still wanted Dwyer and everyone else was taken, but I had to stop at their B support because I felt bad for foisting her on Jakob. And I don't even like Jakob!)

Edited by AzureSen

I'm not sure about that. I was just giving an example of how she reacts when a servant refuses her. (And his logic was pretty sound: he only serves Kamui, ergo he won't do things for Peri.)

(And, on another note, I totally understand the Peri revulsion. I was originally going to pair her with Jakob because I still wanted Dwyer and everyone else was taken, but I had to stop at their B support because I felt bad for foisting her on Jakob. And I don't even like Jakob!)

I understand if people like her (not referring to you, of course) but, to me, Peri is just...

Why?

Yeah actually a lot of people do tend to call Peri out on it. Keaton's chain with her has him chiding her for the idea of hunting for sport. And the idea of just killing people at random isnt kosher with him either.

Well that's true, i can't argue with that, that could explain how he's ok with Peri as his retainer. But then are we also talking about the same Xander who:

Is opposed to the killing of surrendered Hoshidans because it's cruel? Who at the end of Conquest says he loves peace? Who's very sorry for all of the Hoshidan people that died?

What does the game want from me right now? To see him as a guy who is ok with the killing of innocents or a guy who's all about peace? Please make up your mind game.

Consistency isnt Fates' strong point, mate.

I get people not digging her, too. I just find her a pretty interesting character and i like the weirdos. I wanted to like Nyx a lot too, but shes a character who seems to want to push the player away by yelling at them.

Peri is an anomaly. It's like the writers came up with the concept of a playable psychopath character but didn't know how to make that character believable so they just threw in a bunch of other characteristics at random (good at cooking, childish, likes to shop) to cover it up.

I kind of like her though. There'e enough going on with her for people to come up with their own interpretations.

Yeah actually a lot of people do tend to call Peri out on it. Keaton's chain with her has him chiding her for the idea of hunting for sport. And the idea of just killing people at random isnt kosher with him either.

Consistency isnt Fates' strong point, mate.

I get people not digging her, too. I just find her a pretty interesting character and i like the weirdos. I wanted to like Nyx a lot too, but shes a character who seems to want to push the player away by yelling at them.

Well then were in agreement i guess, it really is inconsistent.

And calling her out on it is meaningless if they then just leave her to continue to do that sort of stuff. It's like having a friend who kills people, you tell him ''Hey that's not cool man'' and then you leave him to carry on with the killing.

Edited by BruceLee

I understand if people like her (not referring to you, of course) but, to me, Peri is just...

Why?

I can answer that, Peri plays on the crazy type chick trope. As shocking as it is, some people do like 2d crazy chicks. *raise hand mid-way* I mean Peri is bat-**** insane but I do find her cute and her love for bloodshed is shruggable to me since I have watched lots of anime with insane girls *looks at School Day*

I can answer that, Peri plays on the crazy type chick trope. As shocking as it is, some people do like 2d crazy chicks. *raise hand mid-way* I mean Peri is bat-**** insane but I do find her cute and her love for bloodshed is shruggable to me since I have watched lots of anime with insane girls *looks at School Day*

Well, I respect that. She's just not my cup of chamomile tea.

Honestly I don't mind crazy chicks but the ones in this game + Awakening kinda... I don't know. I guess they rub me the wrong way?

at least they aren't as bad as yuno gasai

If I remember correctly, she also almost won said tournament without any actual training, she just rocked up and started kicking arse, taking names and chewing bubblegum because she could and Xander thought "well dang, if she's this good without training, she'll be unstoppable with it".

Lol. This is pretty ironic considering she's pretty lackluster as a unit, at least on my playthrough.

Also, there seems to be a lot of Peri hate here :(

c438c63f3f4b315d365f52e997b3f115.jpg

Stop bullying Peri

Edited by SilverPants

Lol. This is pretty ironic considering she's pretty lackluster as a unit, at least on my playthrough.

Also, there seems to be a lot of Pieri hate here :(

c438c63f3f4b315d365f52e997b3f115.jpg

Stop bullying Pieri

lol I don't mean to bully Peri.

But why she gotta kill da innocent servants without repercussions tho

What exactly is there even to like about her? The only thing i can think of is people find her cute, but how can you find someone who kills servants for spilling tea cute?

She's good at cooking? Peri x Kaze was actually kind of nice.

Well, I respect that. She's just not my cup of chamomile tea.

Yeah I can see Peri isn't for everyone. I mean even to me she is pretty insane BUT her support with Laslow explained her bloodlust

A servant killed her mom and Peri saw her lying in her own pool of blood. Her dad punished the servant but in Peri's eye every servant feels the same and are killers and if they look at her wrong, she killed them and her dad watches this and never said anything. Basically she became sadden she'll never had her mother's cooking and because of her bloodlust she completely forgot about her mom until she talked about it with laslow.

Yeah I can see Peri isn't for everyone. I mean even to me she is pretty insane BUT her support with Laslow explained her bloodlust

A servant killed her mom and Peri saw her lying in her own pool of blood. Her dad punished the servant but in Peri's eye every servant feels the same and are killers and if they look at her wrong, she killed them and her dad watches this and never said anything. Basically she became sadden she'll never had her mother's cooking and because of her bloodlust she completely forgot about her mom until she talked about it with laslow.

Having your mom killed doesn't mean you can go killing other people. If that support is supposed to make me sympathize with her then it's not working.

It disturbs me that the writers actually wrote this character the way they did.

I agree with this. Peri is, without question, a broken character. But her character is broken to be broken; it's intentional. I will admit she can potentially do a good deal of damage to others in the process depending on how the player looks at it. That said, I do tend to gravitate to weird, crazy characters in anime and games. I'm looking forward to "meeting" her in Conquest.

For what it's worth, my brother hated her so much that he deliberately bumped her off--and she has an alternate spelling of our maternal grandparents' last name. She's definitely not for everyone.