Your first experience with video games

Alex95

if you can remember that far, that is. My obsession first start with video games possibly started with Super Mario 64. Back then, I was about 2 and my dad was in the military and he brought home with him one day an N64 system with the game. I guess I have played it before, like a demo or at a friends house, because I remember getting excited about the game. Or I was excited about dad coming home. Possibly both. :) I couldn't read well back then, so I just called things what I saw. In this case, SM64 became known as "The Castle Game." (another example is I called Toy Story "The Buzz and Woody Show"" XD) I remember a dream I had before I got the game, it was Mario with two pillars surrounded by lava. Both pillars had a star on it. I got the game a few days later when dad came home and I remember always having trouble with the game, especially the times when I had to fight Bowser. I got so scared every time he appeared. Nowadays, I don't play it very often anymore, but I always plug it in every now and then and I still regard it as my favorite game of all time.

I was also quite fond of Chip's Challenge.

How about you guys? Describe your first encounter with video games if you can!

Edited by Power Master

Back when I was 3 years old, I used to watch my Mother play games, she played all kinds from Metroid to Sonic, and eventually she handed me a controller on Sonic 2 and later Mario 3, Contra, Ninja Gaiden etc, and I became very gaming savvy. She and I would play all sorts of games together, then my Dad got me into more tactics styled games and RPGs, like Centurion, Destiny of an Emperor and such.

I played so many games with them, many Nintendo, Sega, Blizzard ones, among other things, its part of why I have such a vast knowledge of gaming. I had a strong start

My earliest memories of video games were Super Mario World and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past on my parents' SNES. It was especially convenient for me since both of them are contenders for "Best SNES Game", and still hold up extremely well today. Unfortunately, the SNES has input lag when playing on my current HDTV... If you've never played them, they are 100% worthwhile to download on the Wii U Virtual Console.

Oooooo first memory, hmmmm tricky to say, but earliest I would say were playing Spyro 1 and Croc 1 on the PS1. Theme hospital, starcraft, diablo, warcraft 2 on the PC. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Banjoo and Kazooie on the N64, and pokemon Red and Yellow on the gameboy. ( I honestly cant remember which memory came first)

EDIT: OH and Tomb Raider 1 and 2, I used to watch my mom, stepdad and stepnan play them better than me as well :P

Edited by SpacelessZarius

My Grandfather showed me the first Army Men game when I was 2, congrats if you even know about this series btw, which led to me becoming obsessed with both videogames and the Army Men franchise in general. Rip my childhood

Army Men II was fun! My dad and I played that one.

Well the first game I ever played was literally Pong when I was 3 or 4 years old, or so I'm told by my father, but the first game that I remember and the one that sparkled the flame that made me go out and play games ''for real'' was Alex Kidd on the old Sega Master System when I was 6.

After that games became part of my daily life, and I'm proud that they are, since they are part of what made who I am today.

My Grandfather showed me the first Army Men game when I was 2, congrats if you even know about this series btw, which led to me becoming obsessed with both videogames and the Army Men franchise in general. Rip my childhood

Oh these were a great part of my childhood too, I remember playing Army Men: Air Attack for hours

Edited by Noahfest

My brother bought a Gamecube with Super Mario Sunshine when I was really little. I watched him play it a lot, and I still have that file today. He also had Pokemon Leafgreen and Emerald, which my mother gave to me several years back.

The game sounds familiar. I think I had it as a GameBoy game of some kind, but I don't think we still do.

My earliest memories of video games were Super Mario World and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past on my parents' SNES. It was especially convenient for me since both of them are contenders for "Best SNES Game", and still hold up extremely well today. Unfortunately, the SNES has input lag when playing on my current HDTV... If you've never played them, they are 100% worthwhile to download on the Wii U Virtual Console.

I have them, in fact I own SMW with my dad owning Zelda. 100% completed SMW a few months ago and finally beat A Link to the Past for the first time a few weeks later. Hard as heck to do!

The first game I ever played was Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 on the PSX. My first experience with games was with Asteroids when I was like 3 or 4.

Heh, I actually still have a couple of those. My favorite was Air Attack.

jakks-tv-games-namco-featuring-ms-pac-ma <----------- This was my one of my first video games, and I thought it was awesome.

Besides that, I had three other brothers and we all used to play Mario Party 6 and 7, and while I'd always lose, I was impressed with how fun it was!

Of course, then there were some early PC games. Just a bunch of Humongous entertainment games (Putt Putt, Pajama Sam, Spy Fox, etc.) Then, there were some Jumpstart learning games, which taught me some vague things like what Sleet was

what is my first experience.... lets see....

i believe it was with tetris on the gameboy... my father had a gameboy and he let me play it from time to time... now and days because of that im kinda a pro at tetris...

after that i had a super nintendo and my first game on it was super mario world (obviously) and i played at arcades alot... i loved games like metal slug on a neo geo cab

Back in the late 80s, I think I was 4-ish? I was living with my mom and her parents and my mom's younger brother also lived there and he had bought an NES with Mario and Duck Hunt. I sucked at Mario (couldn't get passed level 3 or so) but was pretty decent at Dunk Hunt, for a 4 year old anyway. I wasn't allowed to play very often, and sometimes I snuck away from my grandmother to play when she wasn't watching. My parents were kind of anti-gaming so I didn't really play a lot as a kid, but I do remember those old days with the NES decently well.

My first gaming experience is also my earliest memory. Christmas of 1996, I was three years old (almost four, my birthday was a couple months away) and my parents got my brother and I a PlayStation, along with Crash Bandicoot and Tekken. They were the first games I ever played and I remember having a blast. Both series remain two of my favorites to this very day, and both games hold up pretty well. There are a couple things that seem a little dated (such as Crash's save system, thank goodness later games in the franchise didn't use that password system!), but as a whole both games hold up pretty well. Crash Bandicoot: Warped (the third game in the Crash series) is my favorite game of all time, and I believe it makes a strong case for "Best PlayStation game" or at least "Best PlayStation platformer."

Crash Bandicoot: Warped (the third game in the Crash series) is my favorite game of all time, and I believe it makes a strong case for "Best PlayStation game" or at least "Best PlayStation platformer."

I recall enjoying the second and third Crash games, but it's been way too long for memory.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/search/q=crash

As it turns out, they are in fact on PSN. This is pretty sweet news for me.

Sonic 3D Blast for the Sega Saturn. My dad got the Sega Saturn as the prize in a call-in radio show contest and that was my first game, and holy shit did that game's soundtrack rock me to my soul when I was 5-7. I still adore it, even though I haven't played the game in years and apparently it was never really good from what people have said, holy cow the soundtrack. This is still one of my favorite VG songs of all time and I wish it were more popular in the remix department:

Im surprised to see people that played the Army Men series... god I miss that series....

Well my first experience with games was when I was 3, I played a point n click game called Freddy Fish, and like most point n click games, I had no clue what I was doing... but then when I was 4 years old I started playing more different games, with Duke Nukem 3D,Heretic and Doom being a big part of my childhood, I played alot of demos and games that came from PC game Magazines, good god I miss paying 15 bucks for classic games like Heroes of Might and Magic 3... and knowing various underrated games with a small price.... good times... good times... also I was a big pc gamer at the time, but I had Snes that has a rather different look to most and a Ps1...

First time I played a video, that was in an Hospital when I was 2 I was hospitalized and they brought me a N64 but i don't remember with what game...Even with bandages on my hands I still played it and when i got out my parents bought an N64 (cause my dad had an accident and decided he needed something to distract him) and thought that I could play it from time to time and that turned into all the time

now I just have way too many games to play...

Im surprised to see people that played the Army Men series... god I miss that series....

Well my first experience with games was when I was 3, I played a point n click game called Freddy Fish, and like most point n click games, I had no clue what I was doing... but then when I was 4 years old I started playing more different games, with Duke Nukem 3D,Heretic and Doom being a big part of my childhood, I played alot of demos and games that came from PC game Magazines, good god I miss paying 15 bucks for classic games like Heroes of Might and Magic 3... and knowing various underrated games with a small price.... good times... good times... also I was a big pc gamer at the time, but I had Snes that has a rather different look to most and a Ps1...

I played a lot of PC games back then. Mostly games like Freddy Fish, Pajama Sam, Putt Putt, etc. The Humongous Entertainment games. Perhaps my favorite was Chip's Challenge. Anyone remember that one?

I am old.

My first experience with a video game was uhh..i think it was around 1985 or something? I dunno, but it was Donkey Kong on one of those table top cabinet machines. I think it was in an airport or some sort of facility of that nature. Its really hard to remember, but i remember being totally fascinated by the pixels on the screen and controlling the Jump Man.