Localization changes

Magnus

Hi! After the localization mess with Fates I've found out that characters from Awakening got big changes compared to the Japanese version. How were the characters in the Japanese version compared to the localized version? Are there other blogs like fe according to japan that say how characters are changed in localization? Thanks.

You're not really going to find that info here, especially not by outright saying "localization mess".

There are *some* discussions, but they are few and far in between here. Amielleon, the person in charge of that blog is one of the few sources of the Japanese changes short of going to Pegasus Knight and reading the Japanese script yourself.

One of the few that come to mind from my JP version is that Sully/Soiree did not swear like a sailor, Olivia wasn't as much of a moe blob in the English version, and Henry Potter did not pun.

Edited by shadowofchaos

The biggest changes that I know of is that Henry was more of a neglected child rather than the comic relief that he is in the english version. And Chrom says "damn" rather than "gods" when he is defeated by an enemy...at least as far as I know :P:

Dual audio is a thing in the localized versions. There's also the voice language bug in only the North American version of the game.

In all international versions, there's a bug that prevents you from having Einherjar units from being on your Streetpass team without having your team be replaced by a randomly generated Outrealm Order team.

Tharja's swimsuit CG got censored in only the North American version of the game.

Tharja's and Nowi's conversation in Harvest Scramble got censored in the European version of the game to talk about Tharja's hair rather than her "boingy bits" (which is the case in the North American and maybe the Japanese versions).

Dual audio is a thing in the localized versions. There's also the voice language bug in only the North American version of the game.

In all international versions, there's a bug that prevents you from having Einherjar units from being on your Streetpass team without having your team be replaced by a randomly generated Outrealm Order team.

Tharja's swimsuit CG got censored in only the North American version of the game.

Tharja's and Nowi's conversation in Harvest Scramble got censored in the European version of the game to talk about Tharja's hair rather than her "boingy bits" (which is the case in the North American and maybe the Japanese versions).

It's odd; When I played Harvest Scramble last fall, the boingy bits thing well very well intact...

The children had no cut-in quotes of their own in the japanese version and just copied their parents', kinda like with Kana in Fates. Nah outright accuses her father of being a pedophile for marrying Nowi in the Japanese version rather than accusing them of having a shotgun wedding.

Walhart wasn't such a terrible father in the Japanese version.

There's a minor plot hole in the beginning of the Japanese version that the English version fixed, where Chrom acts confused when Robin already knows his name and says "How do you know my name?" despite the fact that he doesn't know about Robin's amnesia yet and the fact that Chrom's the prince of the kingdom makes it ridiculously plausible that Robin would already know his name.

Edited by Alastor15243