Ace Attorney 6 Thread

secondworld

it seems Edgey was promoted (or demoted?) to DLC tier.

still better than Klavier, who was demoted to "put into a bus, mentioned briefly and forgotten" tier.

I think you missed my point? In-universe Edgeworth, as Chief Prosecutor, is not supposed to prosecute in court.

Maybe I'm getting all hung up on this, but Dual Destinies specifically stated that Edgeworth acting as prosecutor is not a normal thing so I dunno.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

r6LBi2.png

They've made Maya more beautiful as is to be expected from being younger sister to Mia (Who was Ms. Fanservice as was said in TV Tropes) who along with Kristoph Gavin and Klavier Gavin were Mr. Fanservice. Too bad that Dai Gyakuten Saiban didn't make it. If this goes well...maybe they will decide to localize that...too. But...this Sept just got better especially with Pokemon Sun and Moon hitting all stores on Nov 18th worldwide.

Edited by PuffPuff

The issue with DGS is that the localization team starts working around the same time the dev team (or however it is called) starts making the game. The official localization team was busy with AA6 and couldn't work on DGS. It doesn't mean they won't release that game nor that they don't plan to (about AAI2, they were very clear about their lack of intentions. About DGS, Capcom of France said to not expect a release, but who knows).

In any case, a fan translation is on the works, and they already have the script translated (from other youtubers' translation, which they provided), which will make their job quicker than the AAI2 fan translation.

tbh I'd much prefer to get DGS than AA6. Can't help but feel that the latter is going to use mysticism a lot to answer questions and it'll hinder the overall mystery atmosphere. DGS is more of a classical, plain AA, which for me is way better. I really hope this is just me being grumpy.

I watched the first case on youtube, and what I saw really interested me. I like Ryuunosuke, Feudalworth (Asogi) and the mood was nice. From what I've read about Sherlock, yeah, he's different from what I expected, but I don't know if it is necessarily a bad thing. And the little girl is Watson's daughter, not him, so it didn't feel odd to me.

This could be a bias of mine because chances are it won't be localized and the grass is greener on the other side, though.

I watched the first case on youtube, and what I saw really interested me. I like Ryuunosuke, Feudalworth (Asogi) and the mood was nice. From what I've read about Sherlock, yeah, he's different from what I expected, but I don't know if it is necessarily a bad thing. And the little girl is Watson's daughter, not him, so it didn't feel odd to me.

This could be a bias of mine because chances are it won't be localized and the grass is greener on the other side, though.

well my main issue is what they DO with Watson.

which i'd say but can't remember how spoilers work.

well my main issue is what they DO with Watson.

which i'd say but can't remember how spoilers work.

As someone who has read more than a few Sherlock Holmes stories, as well as being someone who tends to dislike a lot of anime tropes, I must say I hope it isn't worse than turning Dr. Watson into a little girl with pink hair.

I mean, it's pretty much up there with genderbending King Arthur in Fate/Stay night.

As someone who has read more than a few Sherlock Holmes stories, as well as being someone who tends to dislike a lot of anime tropes, I must say I hope it isn't worse than turning Dr. Watson into a little girl with pink hair.

I mean, it's pretty much up there with genderbending King Arthur in Fate/Stay night.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Iris in any way. She's a young girl, but she's highly competent and there's more to her than meets the eye. It's pretty shallow to imply that Iris would be a bad character just for having pink hair and being a little girl. Especially since she's Watson's daughter.

Iris is NOT Watson. She's his daughter. Ok, she does take his place on the game somewhat, but that itself says nothing about her character and how she works in the game.

From what I've read, Sherlock is horrible with logic but still excellent with his intuition and getting his facts. His interactions with Ryuunosuke are that of someone who reveals the truth while the latter sees the bigger picture and fits the revealed pieces together.

This isn't really a spoiler but might put it here before people turn hysterical because OH MY YOU SPOILED THE FIRST TWO-OR-SO MINUTES OF A GAME YOU RUINED MY FUN

[spoiler=Watson]

He's the victim of the first case.

eh fuck it, time for spoilers

John Watson is the first victim of case 1.

repeat

the writers kill off watson in the first case, because we have to have a little girl instead, thanks japan.

oh wait

ninja'd

I still don't find it reason enough to dislike the game. Idk how her character is and I don't think Watson being on her place would necessarily influence the story in such a positive way. Sherlock and Ryuu are clearly the center of attention, the others are token teammates.

Edited by Rapier

Iris is NOT Watson. She's his daughter. Ok, she does take his place on the game somewhat...

I know, that's the problem. You kill off Sherlock Holmes pretty much only friend and he adopts his...pink-haired genius daughter. I'm trying to say this as neutrally as possible, so I'm sorry if I come across as condescending, but have you read the Sherlock Holmes books? The guy is completely and utterly socially inept, and the very idea of him adopting a kid as opposed to using one for information seems utterly surreal to me, unless I've missed something in the latter stories which I haven't gotten to yet.

It's just too much anime for me, and it's shocking that Shu Takumi thought this was a good idea, since he's clearly an avid fan of the series as well.

I know he is, I've read a few of Sherlock Holmes' stories, but it is his friend's daughter and someone who he's close to (I don't recall if they were already close before Watson died, but that's a possibility since on that universe she's the one who writes his books and there is really little time between case 1 and 2, where she appears). She's not just some random kid he adopted.

No offense, but you're basing your opinion on a preconception that does not avaliate the merit (something that I do a lot, being a hypocrite lol). She could be a nice character, and we don't really lose much from ditching Watson.

As for Sherlock not being presented as he is on the books, imo that might have been a fridge brilliance moment from Shu Takumi. We know how great and intelligent Sherlock is from what the books say, and they were written by a second party who was a friend that admired him. Who's to say the "real" Sherlock wasn't a retard in logic but someone pretty good at finding clues and getting the facts, as he does in the game? On Iris (the little girl)'s novels, who is a friendly second party that admires him, he is portrayed like in the Conan Doyle's novels.

Also, since DGS is intended to be a series, I wonder what the hell Shu Takumi is going to do next. Ace Attorney x Hercule Poirot with the private detective couple as a cameo? I'd throw my money at the screen if this gets localized.

Edited by Rapier

I'm not sure a part is being understood here.

lets take lord of the rings, but instead of the adventures of frodo and sam, its the adventures of frodo and Sammy, Sam's younger sister who takes his place because he gets killed in the first chapter.

i think thane's opinion is reasonable here, i wouldn't like it either if this happen to me, more so because sam is my favorite character in the novels.

i mean, just think about it like that.

heck lets go into ace attourny's own universe.

image the AAI games with a dead gumshoe in the first case and instead its just edgeworth and kay.

i don't think i have to say that AAI's would've been more negatively received if they did that.

there is no reason that Gumshoe, Edgeworth, and Kay can't all be alive in the same universe, likewise, why does watson have to die? he could've existed along side his niece.

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

I'm not sure a part is being understood here.

lets take lord of the rings, but instead of the adventures of frodo and sam, its the adventures of frodo and Sammy, Sam's younger sister who takes his place because he gets killed in the first chapter.

i think thane's opinion is reasonable here, i wouldn't like it either if this happen to me, more so because sam is my favorite character in the novels.

i mean, just think about it like that.

They obviously wanted diversity in the cast though. Ryuunosuke, Susato, and Sherlock are pretty well rounded, but all of them are pretty similar in age. Iris allows a much different perspective that John wouldn't. If John had just been gender-swapped, the new character would basically be like Susato. Iris' youth sets her apart. Susato is very competent in law, so that leaves Sherlock and Iris to pick up the slack for comic relief.

It's like if Gumshoe had been a super serious detective or if Mia had been a main character instead of Maya. The balance of Phoenix-Maya-Edgeworth-Gumshoe would be upset if that happened.

Could they have done this without changing Watson? Sure. However, they'd likely have to be yet another brand new character because Watson would not have worked.

but they didn't change watson, they killed him, thats not the same thing.

you are avoiding the question of "why can't these three characters all exist at the same time"

i assume you can't answer because there is no good reason, all three of these people can exist at the same time, why must we kill off a character to make room for another one that doesn't share the exact same role, and if they would share the exact same role, then why bother with killing them off in the first place? (see Beerfest which makes fun of this by killing off a main character then replacing him with his identical brother.)

not attempting to come off as rude or anything, but this isn't needed.

hell lets go into another series.

do we need to kill off luigi to make room for a new female toad?

do we need to kill off tails for a new sonic female?

do we need to kill off any sidekick characters for a new character when they can both be around?

no, no it is not needed.

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

but they didn't change watson, they killed him, thats not the same thing.

you are avoiding the question of "why can't these three characters all exist at the same time"

i assume you can't answer because there is no good reason, all three of these people can exist at the same time, why must we kill off a character to make room for another one that doesn't share the exact same role, and if they would share the exact same role, then why bother with killing them off in the first place? (see Beerfest which makes fun of this by killing off a main character then replacing him with his identical brother.)

not attempting to come off as rude or anything, but this isn't needed.

hell lets go into another series.

do we need to kill off luigi to make room for a new female toad?

do we need to kill off tails for a new sonic female?

do we need to kill off any sidekick characters for a new character when they can both be around?

no, no it is not needed.

The first game already had killed off Mia in the 2nd case to bring in Maya and establish the concept of spirit channeling. Shu Takumi might have been drawing parallels to a major character death early on as some shock value and to establish the game as an alternate universe. You don't have to be happy about it but the AA universe has turned the knife on a few characters in the series that weren't just murder-victim-of-the-week.

The first game already had killed off Mia in the 2nd case to bring in Maya and establish the concept of spirit channeling. Shu Takumi might have been drawing parallels to a major character death early on as some shock value and to establish the game as an alternate universe. You don't have to be happy about it but the AA universe has turned the knife on a few characters in the series that weren't just murder-victim-of-the-week.

got me there on that part, almost.

but i consider Mia and Maya not only different characters, Mia's still around despite being dead.

something i can not say for Watson so i can not say it is the same case because i believe it is a very different case.

[spoiler=Major Dai Gyakuten Saiban Case 2 Spoilers]There's already a Mia death though. Asogi is the victim of Case 2.

Popularity polls in anticipation for Ace Attorney 6 from Famitsu:

tumblr_inline_o8ij27VIZP1qkpnrw_500.jpg
Most popular lawyer rankings

1. Miles Edgeworth
2. Phoenix Wright
3. Godot
4. Franziska von Karma
5. Apollo Justice
6. Klavier Gavin
7. Kristoph Gavin
8. Simon Blackquill
9. Mia Fey (Thank you for the correction)
10. Gregory Edgeworth

tumblr_inline_o8ijgzBlBJ1qkpnrw_500.jpg

Most popular “other” rankings

1. Maya Fey
2. Dick Gumshoe
3. Wendy Oldbag (???)
4. Trucy Wright
5. Larry Butz
6. The Judge
7. Ema Skye
8. Pearl Fey
9. Bobby Fulbright
10. Blue Badger

tumblr_inline_o8ijq8xbjA1qkpnrw_500.jpg

1. Phoenix and Edgeworth
2. Phoenix and Maya
3. Edgeworth and Franziska

All information taken straight from
http://askaceattorney.tumblr.com/post/145664710287/famitsu-aa6-popularity-polls

And on that note: no Athena Cykes! Yes! Ooh, I don't care if this isn't Capcom's own poll or whatever, I'm just so happy she's not even in the top bloody 10! Sweet, sweet justice.

I know he is, I've read a few of Sherlock Holmes' stories, but it is his friend's daughter and someone who he's close to (I don't recall if they were already close before Watson died, but that's a possibility since on that universe she's the one who writes his books and there is really little time between case 1 and 2, where she appears). She's not just some random kid he adopted.
No offense, but you're basing your opinion on a preconception that does not avaliate the merit (something that I do a lot, being a hypocrite lol). She could be a nice character, and we don't really lose much from ditching Watson.
As for Sherlock not being presented as he is on the books, imo that might have been a fridge brilliance moment from Shu Takumi. We know how great and intelligent Sherlock is from what the books say, and they were written by a second party who was a friend that admired him. Who's to say the "real" Sherlock wasn't a retard in logic but someone pretty good at finding clues and getting the facts, as he does in the game? On Iris (the little girl)'s novels, who is a friendly second party that admires him, he is portrayed like in the Conan Doyle's novels.

She could be an alright character, and I may be hasty, absolutely. However, my comments were mainly about how the premise is ludicrous and not to my liking in the slightest, not "Watson" herself. Of course, I highly doubt it, so you're right on that front.

I suppose it all comes down to preferences at the end of the day. I have a hard time swallowing a lot of anime tropes, and child geniuses is very high on that list. Combining that with my skepticism to Shu Takumi using Sherlock Holmes in the first place, and you can see why I'm a bit put off. That's not to say the game can't be good; I don't know that since I haven't played it, but we all have things we dislike seeing in fiction, and to me, there are a few too many red flags.
Edited by Thane

Ugh I'm actually really mad that Athena isn't on that list. I realize that people have opinions or whatever and like Gregory and Mia, but Athena at least deserves to be here. Her, Debeste, and Payne are pretty much the only missing lawyers, which is absurd. Of course Edgeworth won and not Phoenix, Simon, or Apollo since everyone is utterly obsessed with Edgeworth for some reason

The other character list is also terrible. I mean, Wendy? Larry? The Blue Badger? Trucy and Ema are too low, and I think that Juniper, Sasha, and DePlume should be on the list. Just part of the irrational hatred for Dual Destinies I guess.

Franziska is that high? I like the gall well enough but I always assumed she was one of the least popular prosecutors.

Franziska is my favorite prosecutor. I've always loved the way she composes herself.

Ugh I'm actually really mad that Athena isn't on that list. I realize that people have opinions or whatever and like Gregory and Mia, but Athena at least deserves to be here. Her, Debeste, and Payne are pretty much the only missing lawyers, which is absurd. Of course Edgeworth won and not Phoenix, Simon, or Apollo since everyone is utterly obsessed with Edgeworth for some reason

The other character list is also terrible. I mean, Wendy? Larry? The Blue Badger? Trucy and Ema are too low, and I think that Juniper, Sasha, and DePlume should be on the list. Just part of the irrational hatred for Dual Destinies I guess.

Well I mean these are just people voting. Not like we can go out and change people's opinions. And who knows, maybe Oldbag is more hilarious and less grating in the JP version, hence the popularity compared to here.

To me the big surprise is that Godot is still super high in the list, having been in only 1 game. And Kristophe is also pretty high up there too. And yeah, looks like Athena wasn't popular at all in Dual Destinies. I'm not shocked... she was definitely divisive.

Edited by Samias

I saw the image without the context and I thought Franziska was in AA6 along with Godot. What an incredible twist it'd be.

[spoiler=AA3-5 spoiler]

Too bad Godot's probably dead by now (death penalty). Best lawyer ever, capable of turning the tables without breaking a sweat.