1. 1. Do you like chrom?

• Yes
    • No
    • Neutral

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really see a reason to dislike Chrom. Sure he's a naive idiot but so are half of the rest of the Lords in the series. The only difference is that Chrom has other people (notably his daughter and his BFF) who work to make sure that he doesn't get bit in the ass like the other naive lords do (Sigurd, Eirika, looking at you).

And I personally don't see anything wrong with naive, idealistic protagonists. In fact some of my favorite protagonists are painfully naive and optimistic.

I dislike him. He isnt intelligent enough to see what his sister really did, and how it was not a favor to his country, or him. Chrom is also just not very intelligent in general. He may be a nice bloke, but he bothers me a lot with his blind faith.

What's so special about being a good person at heart?

Do I really need to explain that to you? Go and actually look it up. You have the internet at your disposal, use it! Find out what being good at heart is and then apply that to Chrom (because despite his blandness there are some tell-tale signs that you can find easily). If you really can't do that then I can't help you in the slightest.

Like I said I have many reasons to like Chrom regardless of how "bland" he may seem to others. His S-Support confession is my most favourite ones of the game *sighs happily* with Lucina's coming a close second followed by Sumia's and Emmeryn's. I might not like his C to A supports with F!Robin, but he really makes up for it with his S-Supoort conversation and confession. Now if that had have been M!Robin's C to A I would have loved it even better.

Nah man, that's what you've got heterosexual life partners for: they'll do your paperwork.

Seriously though, I enjoy Chrom. I won't pretend he's the deepest or most complex character, but that can be said of all lords in the series. At least this guy makes me laugh.

Yeah and that is why you marry your tactician as well...if you've got F!Robin of course. But yeah that would work to a point, or at worst ask your best friend (M!Robin) for help when your waifu is not F!Robin. :XD: And now I'm just being silly :P:

Also sorry if I seem sharp, Late nights are not good for the mind.

Edited by TheSilentChloey

I like a few of his supports, which focus on his (to me) likable dorky and awkward side, and I feel like the events after Em's """""sacrifice""""" added quite a bit to his character. But beyond that, he's pretty bland and unmemorable. He's a mediocre unit unless you Dread Scroll him up, and he becomes a secondary character in his own game when things start really picking up despite being a typical FE Lord.

Overall, I feel pretty neutral towards him. I think he has the special kind of blandness where people usually can't feel too passionately about him one way or the other without blowing things way out of proportion.

I admit that the part in the beginning when it zooms in close to his face gave me heart palpitations, though.

Do I really need to explain that to you? Go and actually look it up. You have the internet at your disposal, use it! Find out what being good at heart is and then apply that to Chrom (because despite his blandness there are some tell-tale signs that you can find easily). If you really can't do that then I can't help you in the slightest.

Like I said I have many reasons to like Chrom regardless of how "bland" he may seem to others. His S-Support confession is my most favourite ones of the game *sighs happily* with Lucina's coming a close second followed by Sumia's and Emmeryn's. I might not like his C to A supports with F!Robin, but he really makes up for it with his S-Supoort conversation and confession. Now if that had have been M!Robin's C to A I would have loved it even better.

Nobody's saying that being a "good person at heart" in itself is a bad thing. We're saying that being like that doesn't automatically mean it's a good character. And really, you can argue that a lot of Awakening's cast are "good people at heart." A good character has an interesting personality and good depth and development. Which I think Chrom mostly lacks.

I personally found his confession to be cheesy as hell. Bleh. And if someone who liked me acted the way Chrom does in his S support with the Avatar, I'd be like "...dude, you're weird and embarrassing me, go away." It's where that bad form of dorky-ness I mentioned earlier in the thread is. Frederick and his S-support/confession are my favorite because I like the gentleman and loyal/devoted type. He even gives the Avatar a gentle kiss on her hand which isn't even done anymore these days. I wouldn't mind it though! I take it as a sign of politeness and respect. :3

But we're all different and have different views and opinions of things. I'm just trying to show you a different view here so you can understand what some people are talking about and how they feel. I'm even trying to understand some people's different opinions from mine myself on other topics, so you're not alone here either, just saying.

Edited by Anacybele

It's surprising Chrom is criticized for being something that would be praised in other characters (being flawed).

I have mixed feelings over Chrom. He's definitely an inspiring leader, but he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, being too brash and not thinking things through. Either way, he was not designed to be perfect. The Ylissean royalty is definitely dysfunctional.

Despite what some well-known haters claim, the game makes it clear that Emmeryn is as dumb as they come with her goody two-shoes crap (the fact she freaking dies because of her mistakes should be enough proof) and Chrom creates yet another problem to himself by murdering Gangrel in cold blood and fueling Plegia's desire of revenge.

We see real life leaders making big mistakes all the time. I'm glad the fictional ones make them, too.

Edited by Cerberus87

I don't see anyone criticizing him for that, people are criticizing him for not getting much development or character outside of a few supports. At least that's what I see...

And while Chrom does make mistakes, he's not really called out for them. The closest we get to that is Frederick opposing the idea of going to war in Valm right after they just finished a war with Plegia.

Edited by Anacybele

Nobody's saying that being a "good person at heart" in itself is a bad thing. We're saying that being like that doesn't automatically mean it's a good character. And really, you can argue that a lot of Awakening's cast are "good people at heart." A good character has an interesting personality and good depth and development. Which I think Chrom mostly lacks.

I personally found his confession to be cheesy as hell. Bleh. And if someone who liked me acted the way Chrom does in his S support with the Avatar, I'd be like "...dude, you're weird and embarrassing me, go away." It's where that bad form of dorky-ness I mentioned earlier in the thread is. Frederick and his S-support/confession are my favorite because I like the gentleman and loyal/devoted type. He even gives the Avatar a gentle kiss on her hand which isn't even done anymore these days. I wouldn't mind it though! I take it as a sign of politeness and respect. :3

But we're all different and have different views and opinions of things. I'm just trying to show you a different view here so you can understand what some people are talking about and how they feel. I'm even trying to understand some people's different opinions from mine myself on other topics, so you're not alone here either, just saying.

And yet that is my point. Sure Chrom isn't as well developed a character as most people demand, but IS gives you enough room to make head cannons (which while a bad idea on a story level does work better for games that want to immerse you into their worlds) and I do have a few that I am writing into Invisible Ties which I am 18 chapters into. However that is beside the point, but it is a side note.

I don't like Frederick's S-Support confession; quite frankly I don't like Frederick as a lover it's just all levels of awkward for me. Marrying the guy that essentially thinks you're going to kill Chrom at the first chance you can get is just...wrong at least to me. Plus kissing the back of my hand is just not on because that is a whole other thing entirely. If the whole cast did that *shudders* no, just no. I don't want a knight telling me that he wants to "serve me as knight and husband" gtfo I don't want knight even coming into it. I want a husband who doesn't serve me, I want him to be my other half of a whole. That sound familiar, because there is a whole line in the game where Chrom says just that about Robin; ideal husband right there :P:. Besides I like the cheesy confession that Chrom does, it's sweet and the conversation goes a long way making up for the rest of the supports he has with Robin (if they used MaMu's supports it would have been icing on the cake litterally).

Also I haven't shown any teeth in this thread or any others (The Pairing Thread) when it comes down to it because I want to respect that others have different choices as to who they marry their female avatar to. I want to be happy for them liking the character that they like for whatever reasons they have. I want to get along and smile and enjoy playing Awakening my way without being considered judgemental towards others. Again I apologise if my post appears that way, but people should know better than to assume that it is especially since I've stated so myself. Now if you will excuse me, I have a playthrough calling me to finish it as it has been on going since the end of last year.

Uh, what? I'm starting to think that you just don't understand what good character writing is. Where are you getting the idea that Frederick wants to serve you as your husband? He says he wants to DEFEND you, not serve you. And your lover should most certainly defend you. Also, Frederick doesn't even mention the knight thing in his Japanese confession, he actually does the opposite: "I want to defend you, not as a knight, but as a man."

And Frederick not trusting the Avatar at first is entirely realistic and reasonable and is one reason I enjoy his marriage with the Avatar. He never expects that he'll like the Avatar, yet he falls in love with her if you marry him to her. And even in real life, you can end up finding love in the most unexpected of places. That's what appealed to me.

And you do know that "two halves of a whole" doesn't have to mean romance, right? And that Chrom uses the same exact line for the male Robin? I don't even agree with that idea for a romance anyway, because a lover shouldn't complete you, a lover should...ugh, I can't remember the rest of it, but it made a lot of sense to me. Chrom is just all levels of awkward for me, as you so put it for Frederick.

Chrom is not the ideal husband for everyone, just deal with it already.

I do agree that there's plenty of room for headcanons though, which I also have come up with myself in my small Awakening story series that focuses on Frederick's history, his marriage with female Robin (named Kelli in this case), and his triple role as a father, husband, and a knight. Which I actually have not given a title to, now that I think about it. Only the individual stories themselves have titles. xP

Edited by Anacybele

It's surprising Chrom is criticized for being something that would be praised in other characters (being flawed).

No no. You misunderstand. The game paints his flaws as virtues, and thats not kosher with some of us. If the game painted these flaws as what they actually are, Chrom would be a pretty interesting character.

@Loki: Agreed, and I think that if another character took an active role as Chrom's advisor (that isn't Robin who is intelligent but easily pushed around and is totally Chrom's "yes man") and almost played devil's advocate to Chrom's rash plans and called him out on his flaws, that would make the entire game more interesting and paint the protagonists in a less "Paragon of Great Justice" light. IDK what character would do it but I could almost see Gaius becoming Chrom's left-hand man.

Edited by JothTheConqueror

And Frederick not trusting the Avatar at first is entirely realistic and reasonable and is one reason I enjoy his marriage with the Avatar. He never expects that he'll like the Avatar, yet he falls in love with her if you marry him to her. And even in real life, you can end up finding love in the most unexpected of places. That's what appealed to me.

I think it would be a significantly better written and more realistic romance if they actually talked about his severe lack of trust of FemRobin throughout their support. His no-nonsense, brutally skeptical nature (especially when it comes to protecting Chrom and Lissa) is a pretty big defining point of his character. Like, it's not really realistic to have him basically say she's a terrorist the moment he meets her, and then casually sparring by the end of the first map.

In fact, I think that his innate mistrust should have been more important in the overall story. Like, after Em dies, Frederick gets incredibly skeptical of Robin's abilities as a tactician and treats him/her a lot more coldly and accuses him/her of being a spy or something. Maybe if you marry him you could have special dialogue, like with Lucina if you're her husband/mother.

Oh, I don't deny any of that. I didn't say that the relationship was written perfectly. It could've definitely been better. I wish the trust thing had been brought up more myself, as amusing as the bear meat stuff was. xP

I just find it's still more appealing than a lot of other supports in the game as is. Especially "we've seen each other naked, let's get married!"

Edited by Anacybele

After seeing Conquest Corrin, I now have a new respect for Chrom. He knew who his enemies were and was not afraid of them. He didn't made decisions that actually prolonged pain and suffering around.

Maybe it's just because I'm bad at life and such, but Chrom is BY FAR 2nd worst lord in my opinion (Do I even need to mention the worst lord?) and would mainly just be used for convoy. He actually dragged my team down and would be paired up with Avatar/Morgan just so he wouldn't die, Lucina works far better and is what Chrom should have been from the very start.

I feel the same way. At the first half of the game he was great, but when child units started happening and units were getting skills he was becoming quite underwhelming.

I feel the same way. At the first half of the game he was great, but when child units started happening and units were getting skills he was becoming quite underwhelming.

At the same time, child units require so much investment. You can only pick one or two in earlygame Lunatic before they get left behind.

Plus being one of the few units with access to aether is a pretty good bonus.

I seriously can't wait to see my current playthrough Chrom get it. The level grinding was a pain and still is, but at least he doesn't need reclassing! At least until I go for limitbreaker...and maybe go for dread fighter...ugh I really had to go for as strong as possible Lucina didn't I?