Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma - the game is out!

Thane

I really don't understand why they opted to go for such an odd style with their limited budget; why not just do the tried-and-true format? The story is obviously the most important part, but it's a strange design choice regardless.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

They added 5x the dose of Saw on this game, I see. Looking great, definitely something that I'll have to get my hands on as soon as I can.

[spoiler=VLR true ending]

I'm curious about where in the timeline it takes place. I guess it happens as soon as Sigma gets back to point A, otherwise the premise of saving mankind doesn't make sense.

Also, if Sigma doesn't remember his mission, it makes me curious to know how he's going to act to stop the bad future.

Yeah, hyped for this game, definitely.

• 2 weeks later...

The first post is updated with review scores and links to articles! The game will be out in four days from now, and it looks like people really enjoyed it!

Too bad I'm going home early on the 28:th, so I'll have to wait for many long, grueling hours before I get to enjoy it for myself!

I didn't expect the game to be so well received after all the complaints about the graphics (which I honestly don't mind, they make me rather curious), but I'm really happy it got so many high scores! I'm glad the plot seems to be truly as good as I hoped it would be, and the 28th can't come fast enough.

There were some interesting things in those reviews, though. I'll put them under a spoiler in case someone does not want to know about them.

Long-standing questions are answered, mysteries are solved, and while there is a hint at a possible fourth entry in the series, the game does deliver a definitive ending.

Does this imply that there are actually some loose ends or what? Anyway, I'm going to read something about that alien hand syndrome they cited a sentence after, I've never really heard of it before.

There are seven endings that "matter," but in truth, every ending you see is significant. Hell, there's even a complete secondary story you have to figure out by yourself that adds another layer to the game and the series as a whole.

So there are less endings than VLR, which kinda makes sense given they all talked about 20 something hours worth of gameplay. I wonder what this secondary story is about though.

In general, I'm relieved that they kinda lowered the difficulty of the escape rooms, because I'm definitely not good at them (there were rooms in VLR that I cleared following a walkthrough the whole time). I just wonder when NoE will put something about Zero Time Dilemma on their site and on the eShop, because as of now there's literally nothing and it's starting to bug me.

Edited by Luce

The Steam version said there'll be bonuses for people who buy it before it's released, but there's still no option to do so. Great.

I've been wondering about how this game's story is going to work in practice since it has random elements deciding plot relevant stuff. An ending for each possibility, I guess?

The Steam version said there'll be bonuses for people who buy it before it's released, but there's still no option to do so. Great.

I've been wondering about how this game's story is going to work in practice since it has random elements deciding plot relevant stuff. An ending for each possibility, I guess?

Apparently there are seven named endings and many bad ones. I hope there's a true ending though for some real closure.

Does anyone know when we will be able to buy the game? I'll be traveling all day on the 28:th, so I would like to buy it on my 3DS before I take off, if that's possible. I guess I'm hoping for a midnight release.

Apparently there are seven named endings and many bad ones. I hope there's a true ending though for some real closure.

Does anyone know when we will be able to buy the game? I'll be traveling all day on the 28:th, so I would like to buy it on my 3DS before I take off, if that's possible. I guess I'm hoping for a midnight release.

Got ya covered on this one Thane but sadly, the game will be releasing exactly on the 28th of June so we're just three days away. The Steam version however will be available worldwide for everyone of June 30 so the dates would be after your trip. Not sure on the exact hour however, but it seems to be at around midnight if my information is correct for the 28th.

Edited by Raguna

Got ya covered on this one Thane but sadly, the game will be releasing exactly on the 28th of June so we're just three days away. The Steam version however will be available worldwide for everyone of June 30 so the dates would be after your trip. Not sure on the exact hour however, but it seems to be at around midnight if my information is correct for the 28th.

I'm a bit confused, I'm afraid; do you think I'll be able to buy it around midnight or not? This game would be a great way of coping with the boredom of airports.

They added 5x the dose of Saw on this game, I see. Looking great, definitely something that I'll have to get my hands on as soon as I can.

[spoiler=VLR true ending]

I'm curious about where in the timeline it takes place. I guess it happens as soon as Sigma gets back to point A, otherwise the premise of saving mankind doesn't make sense.

Also, if Sigma doesn't remember his mission, it makes me curious to know how he's going to act to stop the bad future.

Yeah, hyped for this game, definitely.

[spoiler=VLR true ending stuffs]

It takes place in between the 2nd and 3rd Nonary games, I don't remember exactly when. Because young Sigma played in Old Sigmas body this game, the reverse is going to happen in ZTD.

Really hyped, I've looked at very few trailers and info, one of the things I'm most excited about is that 999 chars like Santa, Seven, Lotus, etc are gonna get closure this game which settles my soul.

RNG outcomes means theyre are probably possibilities for each outcome.

Really hyped, I've looked at very few trailers and info, one of the things I'm most excited about is that 999 chars like Santa, Seven, Lotus, etc are gonna get closure this game which settles my soul.

RNG outcomes means theyre are probably possibilities for each outcome.

[spoiler=VLR spoiler stuff]

I don't recall it being Old Sigma who's going to play the game on ZTD. Let me try to recapitulate: He tried to stop the pandemic but he failed, losing his limbs and leaving Young Sigma to a shock when he returns to his original timeline's body. Then Akane says he's going to have to go through all of Old Sigma's steps, repeat the Nonary Game experiment and travel back in time. So I guess the plot just loops until Old Sigma manages to stop the pandemic (unless Sigma dies in a bad ending, that is)? I mean, I thought it was Young Sigma who would play the game (the consciousness that inhabits Old Sigma's body that returns to its original timeline).

I suppose it'll be Young Sigma from VLR, after he goes back to his body, does the same steps that the other Sigma did, becomes Old Sigma and returns to his previous body (aka it's the Sigma we've played as in VLR). But then Sigma will be experienced as hell and very different from the character the player got immersed into.

wait, what

when were they confirmed? Aside from Santa.

There probably will be, but for this game to not end in a time paradox, it'll need to have an ending where four or more people survive, and the premise of the game is that only three people survive, so... I'm in doubt. It doesn't seem like the other Zero Escapes where there is a good ending where everyone survives.

Sigma, Junpei, Akane and Phi need to survive. If one of them dies, VLR can't happen. Thus it is imperative that there will be an ending where they survive, even if originally only 3 people can survive.

Edited by Rapier

@Rapier: I think in 9 of this interview Kotaro doesn't confirm they (Santa, Snake, Seven, Lotus, potentially Ace) are in the game, but that Akane and Junpei will give them closure. Imo Santa is probably most likely to make a reappearance because of his ties to Akane, but maybe Snake will show up too.

[link=https://m.facebook.com/operationbluebirdze3/posts/1024948114210916][/link]

[spoiler=VLR stuff] But when Sigma jumped consciousness after being captured by Aoi and Akane they had to send old sigma back into young sigma bodies so each only had one consciousness inside them or something like that

@Rapier: I think in 9 of this interview Kotaro doesn't confirm they (Santa, Snake, Seven, Lotus, potentially Ace) are in the game, but that Akane and Junpei will give them closure. Imo Santa is probably most likely to make a reappearance because of his ties to Akane, but maybe Snake will show up too.

Why do I get the feeling that this will be all sorts of wrong kind of closure?

So, I'm a filthy person and I got the pirated leaked version for the 3DS. That means I can answer questions about the game, if anyone wants to ask.

[spoiler=not really spoilery, just details about the gameplay, but it's better to be safe]

I miss the "linear", descriptive narrative style. The fragments' style jumping from memories to memories can be a bit confusing (you can keep a chronological tab on them through the watches, albeit a vague one), and they get even more confusing when they're fragments that happen because of Choice A/B/C at some earlier point of the game.

The puzzles are shorter than both series' (take this with a grain of salt since I've only been through two), and their difficulty is a mix between VLR and 999: Some require that you think logically about the meaning of a piece so you can pass another puzzle (like a puzzle that gives the password to a door), others require you to merely associate them to pass and don't require much thinking (like the puzzles of 999). It also seems "stuck" on VLR's Easy option: The assist characters are going to give hints that begin vague ("hmm, this object can be used for ___, but how should we use it here?") but become specific depending on how many times you examine an object ("why don't you check ____, maybe it has something to do with that"). Differently from both games, you'll need to point the camera toward the ground/roof often to not miss something (like a drawer near the ground or an object on the top of a shelf), which can be a pain sometimes.

[spoiler=ZTD first minutes spoiler]

You can get an ending at 5 minutes from starting the game.

Where everyone survives

Wait, pirated leaked version? Say what? I know nothing about those things; how does that even work?

Also, I hope you choose to support the game fully later, as this game needs every sale it can get.

Me too! If it's not a midnight release I won't be able to enjoy it for an additional 20 hours! Fate is cruel!

it's only because of a single, solitary snail that you'll get the game late. Life is simply unfair, don't you think?

Wait, pirated leaked version? Say what? I know nothing about those things; how does that even work?

Also, I hope you choose to support the game fully later, as this game needs every sale it can get.

I also don't. I just know it leaks.

Also, this game is the last of the series, although it's been said thast it has space for a sequel, Uchikoshi stated that it closes the trilogy. If I have enough money (life stuff popped out at the worst time possible), I'll buy since it deserves being paid for, but I don't think there will ever be a next Zero Escape game.

Edited by Rapier

it's only because of a single, solitary snail that you'll get the game late. Life is simply unfair, don't you think?

I also don't. I just know it leaks.

Also, this game is the last of the series, although it's been said thast it has space for a sequel, Uchikoshi stated that it closes the trilogy. If I have enough money (life stuff popped out at the worst time possible), I'll buy since it deserves being paid for, but I don't think there will ever be a next Zero Escape game.

Life is unfair. People weren't meant to be up this early oh my god I just want to close my eyes and lie down in my wonderful wonderful bed.

Glad to hear you'll be supporting the series. The Nintendo E-shop is still down for me though.

So the E-shop isn't accepting my card for some reason. I even tried a friend's, which also didn't work. Does anyone else have that problem? I've never seen that message before.

Edit: it worked after I tried another payment option for some reason. Oh well, I won't complain! Now it's just time to wait for it to download completely and then I'll be busy all night.

Edited by Thane

http://www.thonky.com/virtues-last-reward/escape-puzzles

This one is pretty good. The full walkthrough has all of the plot things, but the most spoilers in here are just saying who you betrayed/allied with and what door you went through to get to that room

And out of curiosity, how far are you?

some all white room I think it was named Q room?

I got as far as having the puzzles come out of the walls I think

I'll check that one out in a bit

some all white room I think it was named Q room?

I got as far as having the puzzles come out of the walls I think

I'll check that one out in a bit

Oh yeah, you are close to the end

It's the final puzzle room lol