Why is K-Pop considered to be a knockoff of J-Pop?

Espinosa

I can't seem to get it at all. I've found most of J-Pop I heard to be incredibly bland and boring, while I can think of many K-Pop songs that are really memorable and catchy. Am I listening to the wrong J-Pop perhaps? What do people consider to be the pinnacle of the style?

You know who single-handedly keeps J-Pop away from being completely lost from my sight (well maybe not quite but pretty much)?

These girls.

On the other hand, the K-Pop acts I've enjoyed don't seem to be putting out anything else of note, though that's probably a superficial look. Hm.

TC, you've got two options:

1. I leave this topic where it is and warn you for that double-post.

2. I move this to Far from the Forest, where I think you'll get a better response, and you get out of the warning. You'll have to deal with spam, though.

Since I'm really conflicted about what to do, I'll leave it up to you.

TC, you've got two options:

1. I leave this topic where it is and warn you for that double-post.

2. I move this to Far from the Forest, where I think you'll get a better response, and you get out of the warning. You'll have to deal with spam, though.

Since I'm really conflicted about what to do, I'll leave it up to you.

You can move it I think, because it staying in the Entertainment section hasn't stimulated any discussion thus far outside of a short exchange between me and dondon. Nothing to lose I suppose.

i've never heard anyone call kpop a knock off tbh

I've heard knock offs of kpop though!

Knock-Off:

Original:

(Since this is moving to Fftf I can be off-topic right...?)

• 2 weeks later...

because j-pop fans are butthurt that k-pop got all the international attention that j-pop didn't (while ignoring the fact that j-pop never really seeked such attention to begin with) and because most k-pop acts try to promote in japan (and why wouldn't they? it's the second biggest musical market in the world and it's around the corner, they can actually make money there)

k-pop was probably never even musically influenced by j-pop because both were equally influenced by western music at the same time though k-pop probably borrowed from j-pop visually until they got their own (superior imo) concepts

I find it pretty easy to distinguish kpop from jpop (language aside), so I don't quite get it myself either

but then there's orange caramel

(ok well some of their other songs sound more kpop~ but that song screams jpop to me)

Edited by Freohr Datia

Huh, people do consider it as a ripoff? I don't know, I personally find both K-pop and J-pop to be two different genres in music. May have similar stuff but eh, Asian stuff. But not really.