the Zelda timeline stifles creativity with Ganon (spoilers)

Ill always prefer Tatl over the others, cause it wasnt any annoying words it was just a small ringing of bells, plus Tatl actually got involved in the story more than Navi, also for something earlier on the Zelda timeline can be a bit weird but when you look through it, it does all add up in one way or another (Not that i can remember a lot of the where some of the games go), but generally the reason i think a lot of people struggle to understand it, is cause by the time they decided to make a timeline there were quite a few games which seemingly have nothing to do with eachother (i think they decided a timeline would come in by the time Majora's mask was released). As for Fi....... I just ignored her unless she said something plot related, but she did like to butt in a lot.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill always prefer Tatl over the others, cause it wasnt any annoying words it was just a small ringing of bells, plus Tatl actually got involved in the story more than Navi, also for something earlier on the Zelda timeline can be a bit weird but when you look through it, it does all add up in one way or another (Not that i can remember a lot of the where some of the games go), but generally the reason i think a lot of people struggle to understand it, is cause by the time they decided to make a timeline there were quite a few games which seemingly have nothing to do with eachother (i think they decided a timeline would come in by the time Majora's mask was released). As for Fi....... I just ignored her unless she said something plot related, but she did like to butt in a lot.

Timeline:

/ Downfall > ALttP/OoS/OoA/LA > ALBW/TFH > LoZ/AoL
SS > TMC > FS > OoT - Adult > TWW/PH > ST
                    \ Child > MM > TP > FSA

Yea I remember there being a lot of the Portable titles in the Downfall time line, its not so much a I can't remember them fully as so much as my memory is just terrible in general, for example I know the Adult and Child Timeline off by heart, but I can never remember for the life of me the games between SS and OoT, and then the only one I know for Downfall off by heart is ALttP. I might just copy that so I remember when I need to XD, also if we are to count Hyrule Warriors in the Time Line doesn't that go under the Child Timeline?

Yea I remember there being a lot of the Portable titles in the Downfall time line, its not so much a I can't remember them fully as so much as my memory is just terrible in general, for example I know the Adult and Child Timeline off by heart, but I can never remember for the life of me the games between SS and OoT, and then the only one I know for Downfall off by heart is ALttP. I might just copy that so I remember when I need to XD, also if we are to count Hyrule Warriors in the Time Line doesn't that go under the Child Timeline?

HW has been confirmed as non canon, so it is not included.

Well, tbh some people just really have fun with that kinda stuff~ People have some "weird" interests that others don't

but it's literally not in the game

the timeline has no relevance to what happens in the games, aside from the games where it's explicitly stated that it takes place before/after another and the characters are the same

in which case you'd know anyway

if you want to know zelda time that's fine but it's just a waste of time really

the timeline has no relevance to what happens in the games, aside from the games where it's explicitly stated that it takes place before/after another and the characters are the same

A lot of my interests in numbers and statistics (like in forums, for example!!) are entirely unimportant (and, at least in the case of the forums, can be completely irrelevant) but I have fun checking or keeping track of them and trying to come up with explanations in my head anyway but it's really a huge waste of my time. But I enjoy doing it anyway, it's just a thing I have fun with.

So yes I agree on the "that's fine" part c: It's really only their business what they waste their own time on rather than yours

Edited by Freohr Datia

Eh, I find some of my enjoyment stems from useless facts and otherwise useless things, the Zelda timeline may not matter to some people, I find it interesting. What I love even more tho is not only discussing one of my favourite series, but finding out stuff I never knew before about it :D

I'd argue against this actually. The Zelda timeline doesn't do much, and it never really impacts the enjoyment of the game by itself, but it does serve as justification as to why the world is way it is in each individual game. It justifies as to why there's a big ocean in Wind Waker, and how Ganondorf gets imprisoned in the Twilight realm, and some other things (though games like the Oracles or Four Swords might as well be put anywhere). Of course, most people can play Wind Waker without needing any justification as to why Hyrule's underwater, but others might be wondering. The timeline exists to satisfy curiousity, not much else, but for some people, like myself, I find that enjoyable.

tbh i find super-contrived overarching metaplot stuff like this cheapens the plots of the components too

like it's one thing when you can just roll your eyes at those tumblrs and their silly fan theories, but this shit is canon. it's fair that i've never respected the plot of a zelda game before, but now anytime i see one i'm just going to think of the ridiculous metaverse timeline, you know?

what i mean is it isn't like a "neutral for most, positive for some, so why not?" thing, it's a net negative for at least me.

tbh this timeline really already existed before this, just in a worse format

Four Swords, Minish Cap, and the entire Downfall Timeline creates the big problem. They're all just thrown wherever makes sense

I just see it as

Skyward Sword > Ocarina of Time > Wind Waker > Phantom Hourglass > Spirit Tracks

Skyward Sword > Ocarina of Time > Majora's Mask > Twilight Princess

which is obvious just by looking at the games themselves

For me, the only timelines that are absolutely unchangeable are

The First Two

Zelda > Zelda II

Diagonal Movement

Link to the Past > Link's Awakening

3D Legends

Four Sword Games

Minish Cap > Four Swords > Four Swords Adventures

The Cel-Shaded Ones

Wind Waker > Phantom Hourglass > Spirit Tracks

Evolutionary Theory

Zelda series > Metroid series

Edited by Zera

Tbh I find the timeline kinda fun

Even though it's a massively complicated mess no one in their right mind should ever attempt to fully explain, it does actually give place to things like the Imprisoning War as it was originally told.

It's also notable that there was some debate over actually making it public, since the devs change it to account for new stuff.

tbh i find super-contrived overarching metaplot stuff like this cheapens the plots of the components too

like it's one thing when you can just roll your eyes at those tumblrs and their silly fan theories, but this shit is canon. it's fair that i've never respected the plot of a zelda game before, but now anytime i see one i'm just going to think of the ridiculous metaverse timeline, you know?

what i mean is it isn't like a "neutral for most, positive for some, so why not?" thing, it's a net negative for at least me.

I think this is just a case of you needing to git gud at not letting it bother you! At the very least I don't think this is enough of a reason to try to force people to quit trying to play around (or maybe it's just easy for me to say since I don't let it get to me?)

But either way I still like... don't consider their curiosity to be particularly harmful. Perhaps it's both the people who find it fun and the people who find it detrimental to their experience that are overthinking it all! At least that's what it kind of sounds like to me.

Edited by Freohr Datia

Skyward Sword > Ocarina of Time > Wind Waker > Phantom Hourglass > Spirit Tracks

^ This - Most other games just doesn't fit in the plot, the "downfall" really doesn't fit as an alternate timeline and is really part of another multiverse. (Like, what would have happened if Helmaroc King accidentally dropped Aryll in the Ocean?)

The Adult and Child timelines were created by the Song of Time.

I think it's pretty obvious that both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess were made as clear sequels to Ocarina of Time, even if people think that the timeline was a thing made up later. Link to the Past being a prequel to the original Legend of Zelda is right in the title, but as to how it possibly connects to Ocarina is rather vague and flimsy.

The Zelda timeline is rather messy, and I'd actually would have preferred if Nintendo kept the thing under wraps, and the Downfall timeline is stupid enough that I won't try to justify it. That being said, I never find connections in continuity a bad thing, as long as their actually in the game, but not in any intrusive way. I don't think Zelda's connections in continuity are very intrusive, as many people have said already, they don't really matter mostly, but they are there for curious players to find. It's not like it creates a continuity lockout like in games such as MGS, where even trying to play the first Solid game will raise many questions as to what the hell is going on.

I often wonder how many Lord of the Rings movie fans would react that it's set in a world where there used to be two giant lampposts that held the sun and the moon, and the world used to be flat but then it was round because humans are dicks. I think most people probably know there's a greater story to Middle-Earth, but that doesn't really interfere with their enjoyment of the individual stories of The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings.

"A Link to the Past" is only the English title, The original title is 「神々のトライフォース」 Which translates to something along the lines of "The Gods' Triforce" or "Triforce of the Gods"

It was however advertised as and always was stated to be a prequel.

Challenge Time

Reverse the timeline. Create a coherent story that links the games in the reverse of their canonical order. Can you do it?

Yes. The story is that time flows from the end to the beginning instead of the beginning to the end.