Can I make a Blacksmith Avatar work?

Jakkun

So earlier today I was screwing around with the Blacksmith class since I picked Oni Savage as my talent, and I fell in love with the ridiculous attack animations. From what I see its a defensive Hero that uses Axes primarily, but could I make a respectable build out of it? Any ideas for skillspread/spouse/etc?

I have the Omega Yato and +Spd/-Lck, if those factor.

My Birthright Avatar finished as Blacksmith and was +Spd -Res. I picked up Aether with her for healing and made sure to grab Deathblow from Chieftain. And just for fun I dipped in Swordmaster for Astra and Swordfaire(since Blacksmith's can easily use final yato). High skill class + Deathblow + Astra + Killer Axe/Ryoma's Club/Great Club was just fun. And I could always fall back to Yato if I had hit rate issues. If you go with the insanely hard hitting axe options you probably want someone who can boost skill most as a partner. Even with 36 Skill at game end Great Club had pretty iffy accuracy at times. Ryoma's Club has a better hit rate(and hits like a dang truck) and as a Spd Boon Avatar in a defensive class you can eat -5 speed. But you may get doubled by faster classes(Master Ninja and sword master mostly) unless you grab a speedy partner.

She basically just walked over everything end game. But I imagine it can be pretty tough to make a poor Avatar without intentionally trying.

I think Blacksmith is a terrible class. . .if Corrin's something like +Res/-Str.

Otherwise, it's pretty good. Since you've got the entire army as your reclass pool, you can mix and match skills. Grab Rend Heaven from one of Oboro/Shiro, or Luna from one of Silas/Sophie (whichever one is the same gender as your Corrin). If you want axes, get Certain Blow from Takumi/Setsuna. Quick Draw can be used in place of a -faire. Death Blow is always great, and if mages are making you miserable, you can either grab Tomebreaker (the servant that joined in Chapter 15) or Warding Blow (Tsubaki/Caeldori).

For a spouse, I'd ask the question "who besides Hayato/Hinata/Rinkah wants more crit when attacking", and marry accordingly. Except for mages. I'd go with a Skill/Speed support. . .if you want to emphasize Speed, support a Master Ninja. If you want a spread of Strength/Skill/Speed, put a Spear Master or Sniper behind you. I'd go with Sniper/Spear Master, since both classes greatly appreciate the extra crit that Death Blow offers. As for WHO that is. . .that can be those who start like that (Takumi/Setsuna/Oboro), or someone who can reclass into that (add Ryoma, Mozu, Hinata, and Hinoka, just off of the top of my head; I probably missed a couple of A+ supports). In other words. . .do what you want, as long as it isn't Orochi.

actually thinking about the whole parallel classes thing, im not sure how it exactly works (i can get a phoenix file up and test) but if oni+oni->berserker for rinkah, that could be very useful on rinkah. I run zerk Rinkah and I love how she plays.

Berserker pairup bonuses are also very good.

But of course if it doesn't net her zerk then it's not worth it.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Pretty sure that's how it works. However, that means someone loses Death Blow, and with three crit classes in Birthright, I think that's kind of a waste.

Pretty sure that's how it works. However, that means someone loses Death Blow, and with three crit classes in Birthright, I think that's kind of a waste.

If it's for ingame it's not a huge loss because changing route into Chieftain isn't the most practical thing for a lot of characters, and for postgame it's still not a huge loss because if you want Ryoma or Takumi or Saizo with Death Blow hit me up and I'll put up those skills up in my castle. Missing a skill is a lot more easily amendable than Rinkah wanting to be in the Zerk class itself.

Thanks for the input, everyone, much appreciated! Also Happy Easter!

I think I'll give it a try. I use a Nohrian Trust + Quixotic build so my hit rate is pretty solid. I just really like the Oni line, so I'm glad I can make it work, despite Smith being an overlooked class itself.

@Thor: Could I get Ryouma and Saizou with Deathblow, if it's not too much trouble?

Edited by Jakkun

Thanks for the input, everyone, much appreciated! Also Happy Easter!

I think I'll give it a try. I use a Nohrian Trust + Quixotic build so my hit rate is pretty solid. I just really like the Oni line, so I'm glad I can make it work, despite Smith being an overlooked class itself.

@Thor: Could I get Ryouma and Saizou with Deathblow, if it's not too much trouble?

Yeah sure hold on lemme boot up my other file

tumblr_o4h3b82dpV1rbgrtpo1_400.jpg

They should both be up--you know the save/logbook technique that'll let you get both, right

ahh, im unaware or such a technique.
how do I do that?

Edit: Tried searching and only found Awakening Logbook tricks. Eh its cool, I can just grab Saizou's if need be.

Edited by Jakkun

ahh, im unaware or such a technique.

how do I do that?

Edit: Tried searching and only found Awakening Logbook tricks. Eh its cool, I can just grab Saizou's if need be.

Basically you use another save slot and save before you take my castle at the prep screen, then save back into your main file after you grab Ryoma, then reset an go into the save at my castle and grab saizo this time, if you save, logbooks share between files, so you'll have ryoma and saizo both in your logbook and you can buy skills out of there at your leisure.