FEGame - Check first post!

In the Preparations Screen, when Viewing Map...  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Press B to return to the menu? (keeping in mind B is no longer the button that speeds up the cursor)

• Yes, pressing B in FE8 was convenient!
    • No, pressing B in FE8 made it annoying!

*adds*

(but like idk if there's something specific that's character-related that you want to know you can ask, but I'm not going to dump the backstories and stats of the entire roster here partly because a lot of the stuff I do is subject to change)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have general plans for every chapter up to 15, including maps with units placed up to about chapter 11. I have events for up to around chapter 6. No dialogue yet, though.

I have a general idea of the flow of the rest of the game, I'm working it out on the sheet. Once I get through that, I'll start adding events and units for the rest of earlygame.

(In other words, I haven't done a ton of solid work lately, largely planning out skills and later chapter general ideas)

EDIT: oh my current project on that front right now is playing through what I have and rebalancing the bosses because lol some of these

Edited by 47948201

at base:

sword units: 22exclusively 4primarily 4secondarily

lance units: 8exclusively 4primarily 7secondarily

axe units: 11exclusively 4primarily 2secondarily

bow units: 7exclusively 1primarily 1secondarily

magic units: 16exclusively 5primarily 5secondarily

staff units: 15

armored units:6

horse units:12

flying units:10

potential:

sword units: 14exclusively 11primarily 6secondarily

lance units: 6exclusively 6primarily 12secondarily

axe units: 8exclusively 7primarily 9secondarily

bow units: 5exclusively 3primarily 4secondarily

magic units: 8exclusively 14primarily 12secondarily

staff units: 24

armored units:6

horse units:16

flying units:11

So, what do these weird badly-formatted numbers mean? The number of units that can, right when they're recruited,

use swords is 30

use lances is 19

use axes is 17

use bows is 9

use magic is 26

use staves is 15

take armored damage is 6

move around on a horse is 12

fly is 10

The number of units that can theoretically (that is, including promotions)

use swords is 31

use lances is 24

use axes is 24

use bows is 12

use magic is 34

use staves is 24

take armored damage is 6

move around on a horse is 16

fly is 11

At least, if I didn't screw up. These are approximate anyway, but we can generally see a few things:

it seems very few units use another weapon type then gain swords upon promotion (I think there's only one, a fighter that I made who promotes to hero) whereas several units gain the other weapon types and many gain magic (mostly staff users)

there are far fewer bow-users than any other type. I think I'll add a Nomad, but maybe one or two more bow users probably wouldn't hurt.

there aren't a lot of armored units. An observation I made is that nobody joins as a general, either.

only one unit actually gains flight upon promotion, which isn't a terrible thing, but it's interesting to note. Likewise, nobody gains armor, and not a lot of units gain horses.

Not all of these are bad things that want addressing, but I felt they were worth pointing out.

(EDIT: woo, placed units up to chapter 15! Still need to event, I'm procrastinating a bit because doors and chests xP)

Edited by 47948201

I guess you'll find out when the game releases☆

I'm just asking from a class perspective, I can check the classes of submitted characters but not characters you made. I just thought if we knew it would help submissions pick unique classes

Their classes are

special(mage)

hero

cav(sw/la)/paladin

great knight

pegasus/falcoknight

archer/sniper

knight/general

archer/warrior

troubadour/valkyrie

myrmidon/swordmaster

fighter/warrior

fighter/hero

special(sword)

all-weapon paladin

knight(axe)/general

cav(la/ax)/great knight

mage/sage

cleric/bishop

cav(la/sw)/paladin

thief/rogue

wyvern(bow)/wyvernlord

Those are my earlygame characters so far, I'm thinking I'll also add

nomad/trooper

knight/general

knight/great knight

maybe a cleric/sage or cleric/valkyrie

soldier/some flier

general

plus the portraitless, abbreviated-name characters on the sheet

(I realized I counted sword-gainers wrong but yeah idk just a general idea)

Double-posting to get Fateborn's attention, want to clarify how exactly Arulles work:

In a certain chapter, she'll spawn in the middle of the map and the player has to talk to her before the enemy does. If this happens she's recruited and redarulle is the boss of a later chapter--otherwise, bluearulle is the boss of that chapter. What if bluearulle is recruited and later dies?

Double-posting to get Fateborn's attention, want to clarify how exactly Arulles work:

In a certain chapter, she'll spawn in the middle of the map and the player has to talk to her before the enemy does. If this happens she's recruited and redarulle is the boss of a later chapter--otherwise, bluearulle is the boss of that chapter. What if bluearulle is recruited and later dies?

Then redarulle doesn't show up.

Scenario 1: You recruit Arulle, she survives to Redarulle chapter, Redarulle fight Arulle solo without other damages taken by allies = Gungnir for Arulle.

Scenario 2: You fail to recruit Arulle, she becomes the main boss of a end-game chapter, Redarulle shows up as side-boss NPC (enemy to both side) who beelines to Arulle to duel her. If Arulle lose, redarulle becomes a boss you need to defeat to capture the throne.

Scenario 3: Arulle is recruited and later dies. Redarulle hears the tale of a extraordinary woman dying in battle, disappointed and leave to go back to her world.

Scenario 4: Arulle is recruited and allies helps her defeat redarulle, no Gungnir and redarulle is disappointed, tell Arulle the next time she see her, she'll kill her for not delivering.

hmm I think part of the issue with bows is they are not just a weapon that is usually thrown on a unit. Typically only archers or prepromoted bow using mounted units are usually seen.

The only possible solutions I can personally think of is to either create more prepromoted hybrid units or to produce more archers with unique promotions.

One idea I thought of is a bow/staff wielding unit

The other possibility is a bow/lance using infantry,

a bow/magic hybrid (probably a light/bow)

A bow/Axe wielder(that in't a warrior?) perhaps a modified caviler?

See Bows are a hard weapon to place...

Edited by Dragrath

All righty I can do that but so in scenario 3, what would become of that endgame chapter?

Yeah I mean if there were sprites then I'd go for more stuff with bows but the issue is there aren't... Actually I think I can make a bow-mage, so adding that to the nomad and ranger (rangers might use lances?) then that shouldn't be too awful for players to pick from? Maybe I'll make a general who can use bows too.

All righty I can do that but so in scenario 3, what would become of that endgame chapter?

Skip it of course. It's a Gaiden made for Arulle to tease a bit of my hack. It's not required, but a nice add-on.

Edited by Fateborn

Class ideas:

Dragoon (Speedier Knights with less Defense and draconic armor)

Pegasus Archer

Wyvern Mage

Pegasus Troubadour

Class ideas:

Dragoon (Speedier Knights with less Defense and draconic armor)

Pegasus Archer

Wyvern Mage

Pegasus Troubadour

Dragoons are already a thing in certain hacks, and wyvern mages are basically malig knights, and pegasus troubs aren't the most creative thing.

While admittedly simply combining classes will likely result in something easier to sprite that something all-new, it tends to not be as interesting.

Besides, rather than make new classes, why not just make characters that take advantage of a class in new ways? I'm starting to rough out some ideas for random gimmick characters--I (DEFINITELY) don't want everyone to be super strongly gimmicky, but I think a few of them is a good idea. For example, a character with 10 HP but 30def/res is only a minor variation on any class, but will play much more differently than most classes that one would come up with. (Just as an example, I think maybe the idea was based on Klok said)

I can explain my other gimmick characters if my notes on them are too sparse for people.

random gimmick characters

I'm just going to stare at klokler for a bit longer

for those that haven't checked the doc:

At the end of player turn:

-Randomly teleports to an unoccupied tile

-max HP changes to a number between 20 and 80

-movement changes to a number between 0 and 10

-other stats change to a number between 0 and 30

Every single attack is random:

0-20 damage

0-100 hit rate

0-50 critical rate

Weapons further make randomness:

-50% chance that damage dealt is restored as HP, 50% chance that enemy heals and self takes half that amount as damage

-+10 all non-HP non-Move stats. 50% chance to keep this bonus, 50% chance to make all enemies while within 5 tiles to have +5 all stats

-30% toxify target, 20% toxify self, 20% enrage target, 10% enrage self, 10% sleep all player units, 10% full heal all player units

toxify = deal 1-99% of the afflicted's current HP, non-fatal

rage = berserk, doubled atk/skl/spd but luk/def/res are 0

take advantage of a class in new ways?

The problem with this is that exactly how somebody interprets this is really up to their context

I'd say that Cynthia interacts with being-an-archer slightly differently than other archers due to her skill, and I'd say that it "takes advantage" of being range-locked thus able to guarantee 'weakening' an enemy without actually killing it.

Edited by Eliwan

Yeah that's a more subtle sort of way to do an interesting character and what I'd rather most of the cast be. The gimmick characters are just super one-note or whatever. (or in the case of klokler, all-notes)

Edited by 47948201

We don't have to do the tier 3 (Pupil is tier 0) classes, so if we wanted to use them, Animist, Naturalist and Beast Master would be a bit better.

Actually beastmaster is a neat idea, a unit that can buff monster units. Likewise, apothecary/ist could be a neat unit. Geomancers are also cool but sound like too much work to handle effectively--most of these are the types of things that, rather than their own class, kinda make more sense as a unit specialty made with personal skills or weapons or something. So to that end, I think I'll add some skills based on this tree.

Listing unique units on the to base skills off of:

Cardinal

Saint

Enchanter

Wizard/Witch

Wyrm Caster

Oracle

Warlock

Sorcerer

Necromancer

Animist

Beast Master