When to use pair up/defensive stance?

ApathyBeam

When should I use pair up in Fates? I used it all the time in Awakening (like everyone else) but now it seems really situational. However, any time I watch someone else play, they seem to be using it most of the time still. What's the strategy behind the nerfed pair up?

Stat boosts from the supporting unit and the passive Dual Guards (always block enemy Dual Attacks and shield gauge builds up for a guaranteed Dual Guard against the enemy lead unit). Certain skills such as some personal skills as well as Nohrian Trust also encourage (ab)use of Guard Stance.

I mean, it's still free stats and enemies can attack stance you, so make your best judgement

I use full guard most of the time, but will go into attack stance if I judge the situation to be something that requires a bit more offense--for example, sometimes I would put out my best tank in guard stance to draw a group of enemies, then in attack stance, wipe out the group I just pulled. In say, BR lategame where enemy density is super high, I just guard stance all the time since I don't want them to attack stance me.

I've related it to difficulty. On normal mode Conquest I went pretty much 90% Attack Stance, but on Hard Mode I went mostly Dual Guard and Pair Up because enemies attack on masses, like the annoying Lunge Ninjas, etc.

Edit: Also, skills like Astra and Vantage are super good becausw they build your gauge pretty fast and you'll be nearly unbeatable with Astra procs.

Edited by Quintessence

While it's nerfed in the stat giving department it is far from useless. As you get further into the game you'll find yourself dying more enemy attack stances, defense stance prevents the enemy from be able to do attack stance to you, this extra damage will kill you sometimes if you do not go it into denfense stances. You can also use it much like rescue to help certain units not receive damage and help other units reach further distances. Oh and as small the stat bonuses may be sometimes they can be the difference between life and death with an extra defense or attack or speed to help you finish off the kill or survive the turn. Also Blue Shields give you full immunity to one attack, though the real usefulness of the Blue Shield will only come when you have learned how to use them (it's something you have to personally master it can't really be explained) but once you do they are amazingly useful.

If you want to see it's usefulness in practice I dare you to try to play lunatic conquest without ever using pair up you won't survive many chapters or even turns

Edited by Locke087