What does this game do right compared to the others?

I don't mean to sound like i'm bashing Awakening, i'm honestly curious and I understand if you can't come up with an answer since I don't like being questioned why I like a game either. What does this game have that makes people prefer it over the other games in the series? I can't think of anything this game does better than the others aside from voice acting and maybe graphics.

Edited by kantoorfarina

I adore Awakening's support system. Say what you will about the quality of the supports, the system itself is the best implemtation in the series, and I love that Fates brought it back.

Awakening's level design in the paralouges, while the main game has VERY bad map design, paralouges like Severn's and Yarn's are some of my favorite maps in the series.

It has an unlimited inventory

Skipable turns (without also skipping important events)

Skipable individual combat animations. Also camera control mid-battle

Having both voice tracks in the international version.

Better English voices then in Telius

More portraits to suit the character's emotional state, although they are no longer animated

Merging weapons is more convenient now (I wish they would have used a different sound effect, though.)

Controlling the character on the world map with the D-Pad

Guaranteed money in random encounters

Edit:

Also, all tiles containing hidden items are explicitly marked as such and there is no longer a probability to find stuff

The movement during combat was handled well. This is a bit difficult to articulate. I don't mean stuff like flashy or dull animations, more like the movement feels less rigid...

For something that is easier to explain, like in Jugdral characters can now get behind their opponent and continue attacking from there. Neither PoR or RD did that, so this is the first time it's been done in 3D

Also, characters are now knocked off their feet when killed instead of slowly going to their knees several seconds after the hit. Still, I do feel that the old method worked far better for those dramatic death quotes. Also bodies don't fade away now.

Edited by BrightBow

Hey, there's more to love about this game. . .

- Truly unlimited inventory~! So you can have one of everything and then some!

- Cute cut scene pictures on S support (WHY FATES WHY)

- Even if it's stupidly frustrating, I adore the three-way battle on Yarne's map

- Oh, right, not just infinite inventory, infinite EVERYTHING in inventory (including endgame weapons)

- Better Seal timing (Second Seals being infinite shortly after the kids show up, story-wise)

To add even more subjectivity, I feel like the dynamic between the Shepherds is great, and it's my favorite ragtag bunch of heroes in the series, even if the Greil Mercenaries are a close second.

I also love the parent-child interactions here; some are better than others, obviously, but there are a few gems, like Nah and her father or Chrom and Lucina. It feels much more organic than Fates in general, although the kids there are not as big of a deal so it's only to be expected.