Thoughts on FE Remasters?

Sentacotus

I've been thinking lately about if Nintendo and IS were to go back to some of the older Fire Emblem games particularly Tellius, Elibe, and Magval and remaster them and put them on the 3DS. Given the surge of popularity it would be a good way to introduce newer audiences to the older games. Say up the graphics a bit and add some of the newer features (within reason like no retroactive children in say Tellius) like My Castle and Casual modes. Plus if they did it on the 3DS they would probably have a way easier time selling them. Thoughts?

Edited by LordTaco42

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say is...

Bring on the Truth, Despair and Hope (Ablaze).

That's probably how they should go about it, too. They should use the modern style of map and battle music, and they should just add the original battle themes to the list of like half a dozen boss themes the newer games have.

I'd throw my money at Nintendo/IS for a re-release of PoR and RD with the cut PoR supports and additional paired endings in RD. Since NoA threw fuel on the fire, IS, why not give us Ike x Elincia? Even if it's platonic. :P

Edited by Anacybele

What would be the point of doing this? Why not just move forward with new FE games?

Producing games for less money and time? The writing, general brainstorming, music composition (but not recording) and game balance have all already been done, it's just a matter of updating it with modern graphics and maybe some new features.

Yeah, and giving westerners (legal) access to Japan-only games. I know I'd love to get to play a legit English version of FE4. I'd definitely go for FE5 too, if I didn't know that it's apparently really hard. Though if IS toned down the difficulty a bit, I'm all for it.

Edited by Anacybele

Oh yeah, I wouldn't want Tellius to be re-released on the 3DS though. I prefer home consoles to handheld ones, so I think they should be on the NX (since the Wii U's life is kind of ending soon).

Really my only concern with this is that I hope IS learned their lesson about adding avatar main characters to games with stories not built to accommodate them and doesn't make the player avatar they'll obviously add of great significance to the plot. Just another one of the Greil Mercenaries, or Sigurd's knights, or just some wandering strategist like Mark except playable, just a unit you can customize.

Edited by Alastor15243

Producing games for less money and time? The writing, general brainstorming, music composition (but not recording) and game balance have all already been done, it's just a matter of updating it with modern graphics and maybe some new features.

But we've seen that spacing out releases was a net positive for the series compared to when it was annualized a decade ago. The only thing this would accomplish is making people grow fatigued with the franchise all over again.

But we've seen that spacing out releases was a net positive for the series compared to when it was annualized a decade ago. The only thing this would accomplish is making people grow fatigued with the franchise all over again.

The series was only really briefly annualized. In general the games came out once every two years. I get what you're saying, but are we sure that's what happened?

I don't want to see Elibe or Tellius ever again, but Jugdral and Magvel would be welcomed. Especially since FE8 had such an amazing soundtrack. If any FE got a remake, I'd like it to be SS or Gaiden.

Especially for Truth, Despair, and Hope like above. It's one of my favorite map themes in the game and the main reason I turned off animations so I could hear it.

Binding Blade 2002

Fire Emblem 2003

Sacred Stones 2004

Path of Radiance 2005

Each one sold worse than it's predecessor, with Path of Radiance not even selling half of Binding Blades units. Add in that the old games aren't really considered "Cool" against the modern styling of Kozaki and Kusakihara and I don't really see this leading anywhere good.

can't they just move on and make new games

the only one that i think should get rereleased through something other than the virtual console is path of radiance, and that's purely because of how nintendo flat out does not release gamecube games on the virtual console

really, every FE past 6 is perfectly fine to play today, and none of them seem like they'd benefit much from a remake, so i don't see much they can do

Really my only concern with this is that I hope IS learned their lesson about adding avatar main characters to games with stories not built to accommodate them and doesn't make the player avatar they'll obviously add of great significance to the plot. Just another one of the Greil Mercenaries, or Sigurd's knights, or just some wandering strategist like Mark except playable, just a unit you can customize.

Thats why I would say they should do it within reason. Aka add things like Casual/Lunatic modes, My Castle, update the graphics/minor style updates and class options. All the while leaving out things like avatars and children.

Honestly I have been thinking about a FE 6/7 remake where they combine the games and have it so the parents give the kids different skills and make the avatar a playable person but not a lead role and only playable in the first part. I also really want 9 and 10 released on the eshop at the least if not a full remaster. I can see Nintendo doing more remasters with FE becoming popular and I would be willing to buy any remakes/remasters they decide to do.

Thats why I would say they should do it within reason. Aka add things like Casual/Lunatic modes, My Castle, update the graphics/minor style updates and class options. All the while leaving out things like avatars and children.

Yeah, this. Though I don't think it would hurt to make FE7's tactician playable and more customizable and all.

I'd love it if more people got to experience the magic that is FE6-10, from back when the games were all excellent. And I'll gladly throw my money at IS for it.

Will it happen? Sadly, probably not.

Binding Blade 2002

Fire Emblem 2003

Sacred Stones 2004

Path of Radiance 2005

Each one sold worse than it's predecessor, with Path of Radiance not even selling half of Binding Blades units. Add in that the old games aren't really considered "Cool" against the modern styling of Kozaki and Kusakihara and I don't really see this leading anywhere good.

Those games are the exception, not the rule when it comes to releases.

Dark Dragon and Sword of Light: 1990

Gaiden: 1992 (2 year gap)

Mystery of the Emblem: 1994 (2 year gap)

Genealogy of the Holy War: 1996 (2 year gap)

Thracia 776: 1999 (3 year gap)

Binding Blade: 2002 (3 year gap)

Blazing Sword: 2003 (1 year gap)

Sacred Stones: 2004 (1 year gap)

Path of Radiance: 2005 (1 year gap)

Radiant Dawn: 2007 (2 year gap)

Shadow Dragon: 2008 (1 year gap)

New Mystery of the Emblem: 2010 (2 year gap)

Awakening: 2012 (2 year gap)

Fates: 2015 (3 year gap)

On average the gap between releases is about 2 years.

And I disagree that the old games aren't considered "cool". The main problem is that most people don't know about them and the relative rareness (not to mention lack of international release) of many of them deters people from being able to play them.

Yeah, I bet you more advertising alone would've increased the sales of some of those games. Especially for Tellius right now because of Ike's popularity and icon status. I've seen a lot of people say they really want to play his games but can't because of lack of availability of them.

I think FE2, FE4 and FE5 will eventually get remakes.

As for the others, I don't think there needs to be time and money wasted on remastering the games that were already released worldwide. It would be nice if FE6 and FE12 could be localized as they are, but the chances of that happening are slim (I won't say impossible given the current rumor on Mother 3 getting a release).

As for the Tellius games, just release them on NX on VC (where I'm sure GC games will be available).

One thing I would love is a "Fire Emblem Collection" release for the next handheld, which includes the GBA trilogy and DS duology. That would be a good excuse to get FE6 and FE12 translated.

Advertising was not the issue for those games, NCL advertised the hell out of 9 and 10, but nobody cared.The Tellius saga were designed to be Fire Emblem's glorious return to consoles and a celebration of both the franchise and IS reaching 20 years of operations. Sadly the games stuck with the same old art style making it seem pastiche at best and dated at worst. With Awakening Kozaki and Kusakihara gave the series a youthful vigor which it had needed for years and even the old guard like Higuchi can recognize that.

Advertising was not the issue for those games, NCL advertised the hell out of 9 and 10, but nobody cared.The Tellius saga were designed to be Fire Emblem's glorious return to consoles and a celebration of both the franchise and IS reaching 20 years of operations. Sadly the games stuck with the same old art style making it seem pastiche at best and dated at worst. With Awakening Kozaki and Kusakihara gave the series a youthful vigor which it had needed for years and even the old guard like Higuchi can recognize that.

lolwut? Wrong, dude. Entirely wrong. PoR and RD barely got any advertising. Only one of them even appeared at E3 at all. There were no commercials or any big promotions for them or anything of the sort. Why do you think a lot of people didn't know about them for awhile? And same old art style? WTF are you talking about? Senri Kita never did art for any other FE games besides these two. They didn't share their art style with other FE games at all. And most people seem to prefer PoR and RD's art style and designs to those of Awakening and Fates and I've also seen plenty of people say that Kusakihara needs to be replaced because of how stupid and fanservicey some designs look (Kozaki isn't to blame because he doesn't draw that stuff in his art when he's doing it on his own time). You are quite inaccurate here.

Oh yeah, not to mention that both PoR and RD received good ratings overall. That surely isn't the reason for poor sales.

Edited by Anacybele