[SPOILERS] The significance of the name "Yatonokami" (Yato)

shadowofchaos

I'm on mobile, so I can't really elaborate all that much.

And I know it's referred to in Chapter 5 as the sword of the chosen hero that will save the world crap...

But the name "Yatonokami" refers to snakes that *KILLED PEOPLES FAMILIES* if they were ever seen. A word that can be associated with "Family Extermination".

Considering family character deaths in all the routes... or even those so close to Kamui that they could be considered family... such as Aqua or Lilith. Or the stuff with Hydra/Anakos...

Could they have been "cursed" to die after having seen Kamui wielding the blade? I mean, not as a story mechanic, but what the devs mean by naming the sword.

For silly purposes, I'd say Izana just kicking the bucket in Revelations is somehow... nah... I'm reaching.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Another interesting detail about the Yato is that its hilt is most definitely a Vajra, which according to the wiki article symbolizes Indestructibility and/or Irresistible Force.

It's one of the things that remains constant throughout all its designs, and makes sense in being designed such a way since it hails from Hoshido, the eastern nation.

But... I'm not exactly sure what it symbolizes in Fates' case.

Maybe the resolve it requires on the choices you make? That Kamui had to have the "indestructible force of will" to carry out the thing they need to do.

I mean that was Conquest's theme arguably despite all the guilt tripping.

Maybe the resolve it requires on the choices you make? That Kamui had to have the "indestructible force of will" to carry out the thing they need to do.

I mean that was Conquest's theme arguably despite all the guilt tripping.

The theme of having an undeterred will that never sways or is defeated is in each path, it's just more dominate in Conquest (where it's possibly power > moral) and ever-so-present in Revelations (I won't stop until both kingdoms of Nohr and Hoshido forge a path together for a united peace and we defeat the bigger bad). Even some of Kamui's supports or those support of other characters between each other occasionally refers to Kamui's unfazed determination to complete their dreams.

Edited by Emblem Blade

Huh, that explains Kamui's crit quotes too. "I won't surrender!" and "You won't stop me!"

"I MAKE MY OWN FATE!!!"

Just about all of Kamui's skill/crit quotes that don't involve Nohr/Hoshido show that they won't let anyone stand in their way to an ultimate peace.

I said that as "For Hoshido!" and "For Nohr!" are more of a battle cry and they are both a bit too similar to Xander's "For the Glory of Nohr!" and Ryoma's "For the Glory of Hoshido!". The other lines are more unique in showing their determination to their dream and not letting go of said dream.

Edited by Emblem Blade

Thanks for the correction...

...however you don't have to be me if that was what you were trying to imply.

You're welcome and no not at all. Me correcting you over a small mistake was not an imitation of you. I just had a strong urge to do it. No malicious intent whatsoever.

You're welcome and no not at all. Me correcting you over a small mistake was not an imitation of you. I just had a strong urge to do it. No malicious intent whatsoever.

When you said "I hate to be that guy, I really do." is why I'm saying, no one not even myself are making you be like me.

When you said "I hate to be that guy, I really do." is why I'm saying, no one not even myself are making you be like me.

He's saying he hates to be the guy who point's out even the smallest mistake.

The Yato's forms also have meaning in the kanji. The Noble and Shadow (are those the names in English?) have the names "Byakuya" and "Anya" (Hoshido and Nohr) respectively.

Its blazing and shadow in English

^This.

Ah, I can't easily understand or translate when the wording someone says is somewhat bland (open and not that detailed). Sorry, I'm a bit dense at times so I don't always know what other people say even when it is simple.

Its blazing and shadow in English

^This.

Noble Yato and Grim Yato then Blazing Yato and Shadow Yato. Then we get Alpha Yato (the very beginning) and Omega Yato (the absolute end).

I did not intend to double-post like this, the "Quote" ended up being directly beneath the text I was typing and I didn't see that until after I hit 'Post'.

Edited by Emblem Blade

Ah, I can't easily understand or translate when the wording someone says is somewhat bland (open and not that detailed). Sorry, I'm a bit dense at times so I don't always know what other people say even when it is simple.

It's cool. I'll try to word my sentences better next time.

Considering that the Yato is FE Fates' Fire Emblem, its family extermination meaning can be a reference to the curse of the Fire Emblem, which is brought up in FE1 and its remake (the curse involving losing a loved one like Nyna losing Camus or Marth potentially losing Caeda).

Oh shit, I totally forgot all about the curse. Did IS remember that? If so, that's insane attention to detail and I'm impressed.

I wouldn't be surprised considering that Fire Emblem: if was released in Japan during the franchise's 25th anniversary.

The Yato's forms also have meaning in the kanji. The Noble and Shadow (are those the names in English?) have the names "Byakuya" and "Anya" (Hoshido and Nohr) respectively.

Base forms are Noble and Grim, final forms are Blazing and Shadow.

Considering that the Yato is FE Fates' Fire Emblem, its family extermination meaning can be a reference to the curse of the Fire Emblem, which is brought up in FE1 and its remake (the curse involving losing a loved one like Nyna losing Camus or Marth potentially losing Caeda).

Holy... .

That never even occurred to me.

Technically Corrin stole Yato from Hoshido as well

Kinda funny since the Curse of the Emblem is caused by the first emperor of Arkanea which is a thief

It might be easier to say 'stole' not stole. The Yato 'flew' into Corrin's hand apparently by its own will as seeing them as the destined owner of it, they didn't run up to the blade and grab it before running off somewhere. Yukimura somewhat mentioned in Chapter 5 that each of the Divine Weapons (Raijinto and Fujin Yumi) have chosen their owner. He then spoke of how the Yato would 'choose' who it would see as its destined user. Roflolxp54's post on the possible meaning of the destined chosen one losing a loved one or many loved ones in their lives makes sense seeing how many people in each path that they love and care for end up dying.

Edited by Emblem Blade