[FE4] Making Holy Weapons Inheritable?

General Horace

I've been poking away at making FE4 Reverse recruitment, and i've decided to change some items gotten in conversations due to character/class changes, and as a result some different Holy Weapons are getting passed down, since characters that had Holy Weapons in the past (namely, Briggid and Claude) replace Alec and Noish who have no conversations to get them in, so i've just decided to give Alec/Noish Baldo/Dain Blood (screw continuity) to get Gungnir and Tyrfing respectively, but I'm not sure how to make them able to be passed down (I assume there are flags for Ichieval, Holsety, Gae Bolg and Valkyre to make them inheritable).

It's a long shot, but does anyone know how?

I don't have the FE4 nightmare modules on me so this probably won't sound totally accurate.

I think inheritance is tied to the item ID, so if you edit Ichival's ID to make it the Gunginr, it should pass down with no problem.

I've been poking away at making FE4 Reverse recruitment, and i've decided to change some items gotten in conversations due to character/class changes, and as a result some different Holy Weapons are getting passed down, since characters that had Holy Weapons in the past (namely, Briggid and Claude) replace Alec and Noish who have no conversations to get them in, so i've just decided to give Alec/Noish Baldo/Dain Blood (screw continuity) to get Gungnir and Tyrfing respectively, but I'm not sure how to make them able to be passed down (I assume there are flags for Ichieval, Holsety, Gae Bolg and Valkyre to make them inheritable).

It's a long shot, but does anyone know how?

How about you include them in the shop items list?

So anyone with Holy Blood can buy and use them regardless of their parents and class.

I don't have the FE4 nightmare modules on me so this probably won't sound totally accurate.

I think inheritance is tied to the item ID, so if you edit Ichival's ID to make it the Gunginr, it should pass down with no problem.

similar to what this person said

there are no 'flags' for holsety and valkyrie because they will go to the child inheritor, no matter if they can use it or not, end of story

I don't know if althenna and faval 'start' with the appropriate weapons in their appearance though, but there's no reason to believe they don't work specially

the tirfing is different so that celice doesn't start with it in gen 2; so use a different item ID

Edited by Lamia

OK yeah, turns out I asked preemptively without testing.

Say I replaced say, Ayra's Hero Sword with Balmung, how would one go about making it inheritable? Or any non-holy weapon event being replaced by a holy weapon. I've made Eltshan's Mistoltin droppable and the past and it was uninheritable.

OK yeah, turns out I asked preemptively without testing.

Say I replaced say, Ayra's Hero Sword with Balmung, how would one go about making it inheritable? Or any non-holy weapon event being replaced by a holy weapon. I've made Eltshan's Mistoltin droppable and the past and it was uninheritable.

item IDs that are originally as boss item drops default to being dropped by a gen 2 boss if the inheritor cannot equip it (if you did not change later bosses)

as for the hero sword ID, it should be inherited so long as the child can use it

since I assume you aren't changing event codes in order to do that, it should be fine just making it into a balmung in the player weapon editor; but maybe something odd's going on

and I suppose I was wrong about holsety and valkyrie not having flags since the children get them anyway, while with regular weapons I don't think they pass down if not equippable?

Edited by Lamia

In the scenerio I posted above (making Eltshan's Mistoltin droppable) it was not inherited, but at the same time, the kid it was to be passed to didn't use swords, so perhaps that had something to do with it (or the fact that it was a weapon drop that didn't exist in vanilla FE4) but theoretically it should have worked. I expected it to work like Holsety and Valkyrie and be inherited (even if it wasn't useable).

I honestly haven't played till gen 2 yet so I don't know if the changing of a regular weapon to a holy one will be inherited yet, but I doubt it will happen.

Also out of curiosity, what triggers Lex's Hero Axe event? I know its triggered by having his Iron Axe in his inventory in vanilla, but when changed to a different weapon, it was no longer triggered. Does it just has to be any Iron Axe?

EDIT: I think I get what you're saying wrt to the hero sword event example. It's not inherited like Holsety/Valkyrie because the weapon that was previously in that slot (hero sword or w/e) normally wouldn't be inherited as a hero sword passing to say, a mage.

Edited by General Horace

In the scenerio I posted above (making Eltshan's Mistoltin droppable) it was not inherited, but at the same time, the kid it was to be passed to didn't use swords, so perhaps that had something to do with it (or the fact that it was a weapon drop that didn't exist in vanilla FE4) but theoretically it should have worked. I expected it to work like Holsety and Valkyrie and be inherited (even if it wasn't useable).

I honestly haven't played till gen 2 yet so I don't know if the changing of a regular weapon to a holy one will be inherited yet, but I doubt it will happen.

Also out of curiosity, what triggers Lex's Hero Axe event? I know its triggered by having his Iron Axe in his inventory in vanilla, but when changed to a different weapon, it was no longer triggered. Does it just has to be any Iron Axe?

EDIT: I think I get what you're saying wrt to the hero sword event example. It's not inherited like Holsety/Valkyrie because the weapon that was previously in that slot (hero sword or w/e) normally wouldn't be inherited as a hero sword passing to say, a mage.

for lex's event, the item needs to be both the appropriate item ID AND it has to be the original iron axe item number (I don't know why they would make it so complex but whatever) I haven't bothered trying to change it since my own project didn't need to

about the hero sword, if it is equippable, it should inherit, if you changed it to like fire or something for a mage

as for your mystletainn thing, it probably wouldn't have passed down since the child couldn't equip it, probably only holsety and valkyrie pass down regardless

Edited by Lamia

Did the kid has Major Hezul?

It might be something related to the Holy Blood unlockable weapons, you should try edit the Holy Blood bonus module

Character ID, spot location coordinates for sure

maybe item possessed ID or weapons type ID, you can try by changing other weapons to Iron Axe and Lex's Iron Axe to another weapons

Yeah, the kid had major Hezul, but couldn't use swords. I probably should have done a pairing where it worked....

Rergardless thanks for the help. Lex's event doesn't work if you change his iron axe to another weapon, If I have any other issues i'll post them when I actually play to gen 2.

Nobody's figured out Celice's holy blood yet either, have they?

Edited by General Horace

Yeah, the kid had major Hezul, but couldn't use swords. I probably should have done a pairing where it worked....

Rergardless thanks for the help. Lex's event doesn't work if you change his iron axe to another weapon, If I have any other issues i'll post them when I actually play to gen 2.

his holy blood is probably defined through events since obviously he can't have minor loptous for plot reasons I guess

I may be able to find it once I get to that point in my project

I know where his Holy Blood is, let me recheck my note anh tell you later

reverse engineer the inheritance routine?

set a break on write for the inheritor's inventory, this should take you to where inheritance happens and you can look for conditions that would prohibit inheritance

set a break on write for the inheritor's inventory, this should take you to where inheritance happens and you can look for conditions that would prohibit inheritance

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to hacking, I'd have no idea where to find anything within the rom that isn't already documented.

I've encountered another strange problem, despite changing Delmud (replacing Tinny) to a Free Knight, he instead appears as a Thunder Mage (with free knight stats, including 8 movement and a horseslayer weakness).

EDIT: turns out changing Linda's class to Free Knight fixed the problem, weird.

Edited by General Horace

Posted (edited) · Hidden by eclipse, April 26, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by eclipse, April 26, 2016 - No reason given

woops double post, i'm the best.

Edited by General Horace

I don't think it matters what item is replaced in the player weapon editor, the Gae Bolg (replacing Holsety) was not inherited by Leaf (with major Noba), and Tyrfing (replacing Ichieval) was not inherited by Skasahar (Replacing Faval). Lakche also did not inherit the Gungnir (replacing Valkyrie), so it's probably tied to the weapon itself, which is unfourtunate.

Holsety (replacing the Gae Bolg) was inherited though. So I think it's definately something to do with the items, not the slot they occupy in the player weapon editor.

The weird part with Skasahar though is, he has Major Baldo, but only an A rank in swords. He coincidentally has Minor Hezul, is it possible that the Minor Hezul somehow overrode the major Baldo to give him A swords instead of *?

did you make sure to restart from the start of chapter 6 before making any changes in the second gen? all children generation and items are distributed before the first turn at least from what I can gather (but could be wrong) which may have affected the outcome with those holy weapons

additionally holy weapon inheritance might have weird coding related to it in that specific characters can't inherit certain things, kind of like how the sword skills can only be inherited by your ground sword users; holsety can't be acquired by leaf, or valkyrie for lakche, nor ichival for skasaher (or anyone else but faval for that matter) in a vanilla game

Edited by Lamia

Yeah, I made all the changes before the prologue, bar changing Julia's Relive because I forgot about it.

I'll play around and see if it's character or weapon related. Arthur got Holsety, so nothing is solved there.

I'm still stumped why Skasahar only has A swords though.

He had Major Baldo (and Minor Hezul) though. Should have * rank.

Talked to Shin about it, he thinks Baldo as a whole might be special since there's normally no other way to get major Baldo aside from Sigurd and Celice.

it must be a strange children thing, since it certainly doesn't happen with regular characters

unless, you know, you changed the weapon type for baldo and forgot

Edited by Lamia