Revalations lunatic. How should I feel about using unit log for skills?

Title. Sort of a moral dillema. Should I be ashamed for making a trip to ghostly gold early game, picking up the weaponfaire skills then going through lunatic like normal? Or is there no shame in this, and could I see this as a somewhat legit alternative to grinding out challenges for levels?

Edited by maninbluejumpsuit

I'm still kinda fresh to the franchise since I was raised on advance wars way back when, but... isn't the true difficulty of older fire emblems in raising your units in a balanced manner more than the actual maps?

Would you say use of the unit log, and certain DLC classes kinda destroy that?

Was this an intended design goal?

I'm just a bit confused as to what lunatic is balanced around in fates.

Personally I feel there's no right answer here. Anyone should play the game however they see fit,

You're playing the game for yourself. Not for us.

Objectively, Lunatic is not hard enough that you must rely on skills from the logbook. Even Conquest Lunatic is not hard enough to rely on that. So if you feel awkward doing it, it is not necessary for you to buy skills in order to succeed in any of the Lunatic modes, on Classic, without grinding. I've done Rev Luna first run no dlc/skillbuying etc and it wasn't really that hard to start with and I did it the second run with since it's a postgame file so I just want to speed through storyline, and I pretty much destroyed it to an extent that was actually pretty hilarious.

However, if it improves your enjoyment of the game, go for it. Do whatever is most enjoyable for you. If best kill is overkill, hey, go for it. You're not obligated to play to some arbitrary standard to prove anything unless it's enjoyable for you. It's entertainment, first and foremost.

Edited by Thor Odinson

If you're worried about balance, all three routes are perfectly beatable on any difficulty without any grinding/DLC/Spotpass/Streetpass content whatsoever. It sounds like you're worried about becoming accidentally overpowered? If that's the case, go ahead and try the first few chapters without any grinding or downloadable content and see how it feels for you. If it ends up being too difficult, you can always go get some cash in Ghostly Gold later.

If you feel like you are going to be under some pressure depending on how you like to plan out each battle, it doesn't hurt to take some precautions. Since you'll be playing your own free-style, there's nothing wrong with going with your own ideas and there's no one who will be stopping you from doing what you want to do.

If you're worried about balance, all three routes are perfectly beatable on any difficulty without any grinding/DLC/Spotpass/Streetpass content whatsoever. It sounds like you're worried about becoming accidentally overpowered? If that's the case, go ahead and try the first few chapters without any grinding or downloadable content and see how it feels for you. If it ends up being too difficult, you can always go get some cash in Ghostly Gold later.

Objectively, Lunatic is not hard enough that you must rely on skills from the logbook. Even Conquest Lunatic is not hard enough to rely on that. So if you feel awkward doing it, it is not necessary for you to buy skills in order to succeed in any of the Lunatic modes, on Classic, without grinding. I've done Rev Luna first run no dlc/skillbuying etc and it wasn't really that hard to start with and I did it the second run with since it's a postgame file so I just want to speed through storyline, and I pretty much destroyed it to an extent that was actually pretty hilarious.

However, if it improves your enjoyment of the game, go for it. Do whatever is most enjoyable for you. If best kill is overkill, hey, go for it. You're not obligated to play to some arbitrary standard to prove anything unless it's enjoyable for you. It's entertainment, first and foremost.

BR Luna/Classic: Simple enough to where grinding isn't needed until you hit Chapter 27 and the Endgame where the two most commonly used characters, Kamui and Ryoma will need more than the classic and basic strategy of 'Let me fight the enemies and beat them up since we're unkillable' just because of the boss being the pain. Only reason I see grinding for skills is if you want to solo with Kamui alone.

CQ Luna/Classic: Some chapters can be a royal pain and grinding for some skills doesn't hurt. Pass for Chapter 19 certainly won't hurt you if you end up being unable to move anyone under your control. Since you normally can't grind at all in CQ, using the Logbook after grinding for some gold isn't a bad thing seeing how CQ is the hardest path that Fates has (Pre-FE 7 style).

Rev Luna/Classic: Given that you have 98% of the total playable characters at your disposal, grinding for skills isn't too needed unless you really want skills on children characters who can't inherit the said skills because of their parents classes that they have. Also Revelations has a bad case of you recruiting characters who's levels are lower than needed (Laslow/Peri/Odin/Niles joining on Chapter 17 where all enemies will certainly OTKO one of them if not OHKO them) so grinding to get the weaker characters up to speed is a fine option if you like to use every character evenly.

BR Luna/Classic: Simple enough to where grinding isn't needed until you hit Chapter 27 and the Endgame where the two most commonly used characters, Kamui and Ryoma will need more than the classic and basic strategy of 'Let me fight the enemies and beat them up since we're unkillable' just because of the boss being the pain. Only reason I see grinding for skills is if you want to solo with Kamui alone.

CQ Luna/Classic: Some chapters can be a royal pain and grinding for some skills doesn't hurt. Pass for Chapter 19 certainly won't hurt you if you end up being unable to move anyone under your control. Since you normally can't grind at all in CQ, using the Logbook after grinding for some gold isn't a bad thing seeing how CQ is the hardest path that Fates has (Pre-FE 7 style).

Rev Luna/Classic: Given that you have 98% of the total playable characters at your disposal, grinding for skills isn't too needed unless you really want skills on children characters who can't inherit the said skills because of their parents classes that they have. Also Revelations has a bad case of you recruiting characters who's levels are lower than needed (Laslow/Peri/Odin/Niles joining on Chapter 17 where all enemies will certainly OTKO one of them if not OHKO them) so grinding to get the weaker characters up to speed is a fine option if you like to use every character evenly.

Look man if you need grinding for those parts I'm not going to judge you

But don't quote me and show where you grinded because I'll just tell you I did them all nogrind and completely speaking from experience on my end as well

My point is you do not NEED to grind. You can if you want, if it makes your life easier.

Look man if you need grinding for those parts I'm not going to judge you

But don't quote me and show where you grinded because I'll just tell you I did them all nogrind and completely speaking from experience on my end as well

My point is you do not NEED to grind. You can if you want, if it makes your life easier.

I never mentioned anywhere where I grinded in CQ, mostly because I only used a few characters (Kamui, Silas, Elise, Effie and Selena, with Effie being replaced by Camilla once I got her and Selena being replaced by Xander once I got him, I only used Azura when I wanted to KO any boss quickly when the chapter objective was either 'Defeat the Boss' or 'Seize') out of the entire roster to reduce the pressure of getting everyone leveled up evenly. I didn't just quote you Thor, I quoted both you and RadiantDragon since the two of you addressed the same thing (how grinding isn't needed in Fates overall) and it was easier to speak to you both instead of having to repeat myself twice by saying the exact same words which isn't needed.

Grinding makes somethings easier as you can reduce tension in later chapters but it requires more time to grind which is less fun compared to if you want to see how far your limits can take you to before you need to do extra training.

OP, just do whatever you want. Its not a competition in who beats what mode with what. If you dont wanna use Logbook skills, dont. If you do want to use Logbook skills, go for it. There arent rules saying you are a shit player cuz you use options available to you. Im really glad that mentality has left this fandom.

Do whatever makes you feel happy. Personally, I go more for "fun", so I use the skill system, especially if they are characters I myself have ported over from another file. I get a kick out of Camilla one-shotting stuff with Axefaire, making Hana stronger with Swordfaire, or making Xander more ridiculous with his own Swordfaire skill. I may also buy skills to "rush endgame builds", so I don't have to bother obtaining the skills the hard way and have some fun with them.

Of course, if challenging yourself is more appealing, then don't buy skills. Or, just do two separate files, one with buying skills, one without. You can buy skills first, and once you have an understanding and want a challenge run, then try doing it without buying skills.

My general view is if I am doing something within the rules and mechanics provided by the developers then it's fair game. Personally I hate self imposed limits because any failure to my mind can be laid at the feet of the limit.

The problem I've had with Fates is that playing by the rules allows ridiculously overpowered stuff.

Edited by kcirrot