Things you enjoyed about Fates story (spoilers)

Tolvir

Every time I see a thread about the story of Fates, whether it be Birthright, Conquest, or Revelation, it always ends up in a never ending discussion as to whether Conquest/Revelation story is the worst written story in existence. It never really ends positively, just filled with arguments about the varying opinions on Conquest's story, or as Thane and a few others call it, Serenes Law. I have seen the opinions on what was horrible and almost downright offensive to some people about the story, so I want to see what people enjoyed about it, if there is anything at all.

Was there anything salvageable from Fates story, anything that you enjoyed at all? Something that made you smile, laugh, or in anyway enjoy yourself?

Edited by eclipse
Making the spoiler alert a lot more obvious

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before Revelation I loved the choice. Don't get me wrong, the game pretty much says Nohr is hell on earth and that you're stupid for going back, but at least the siblings react adequately. In fact, this is pretty much the only chapter in the game in which characters are allowed to make sense, and the game doesn't shy away from making you feel like an idiot no matter what you do. Hinoka, of all people, has a fantastic line if you choose to go back to Nohr; I just wish the game dared to tug more at people's heartstrings.

Flora. Like, her entire subplot. She's broken, unhappy and has a responsibility both to Corrin due to Stockholm Syndrome and to her clan; she's, again, one of the few characters who reacts logically aside from the barbeque accident, and doesn't forget about her own bloody backstory, unlike Felicia.

The premise. Since this is a positive thread, I'll try to put this in the mildest way possible: I think we can all agree that it didn't exactly live up to its potential, but damn if it wasn't a good idea.

Edited by Thane

While I myself fall into the category of despising Revelation, I still enjoyed the whole of Fates for what it's worth and what (I thought) the theme meant: which was, make your choice and face the consequences, no matter how tragic they may be.

Despite its reputation, I still prefer Conquest over Birthright and I will stand by that choice. Casting away your "birth" family in favor for the ones who raised you and then proceeding to conquer the nation of the family you left was an interesting premise that I appreciated. While it didn't pan out how I thought (or wanted), I still enjoyed Conquest for its characters, its difficulty and a story that provided me with a broad spectrum of emotions--most of which were surprisingly positive despite my many grievances.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

I kinda enjoyed most of it, for mostly the wrong reasons. I just put on my Cinema Sins goggles and snarked away.

Though to be positive, I enjoyed Chapter 18 Birthright from a written perspective.

Before Revelation I loved the choice. Don't get me wrong, the game pretty much says Nohr is hell on earth and that you're stupid for going back, but at least the siblings react adequately. In fact, this is pretty much the only chapter in the game in which characters are allowed to make sense, and the game doesn't shy away from making you feel like an idiot no matter what you do. Hinoka, of all people, has a fantastic line if you choose to go back to Nohr; I just wish the game dared to tug more at people's heartstrings.

Flora. Like, her entire subplot. She's broken, unhappy and has a responsibility both to Corrin due to Stockholm Syndrome and to her clan; she's, again, one of the few characters who reacts logically aside from the barbeque accident, and doesn't forget about her own bloody backstory, unlike Felicia.

The premise. Since this is a positive thread, I'll try to put this in the mildest way possible: I think we can all agree that it didn't exactly live up to its potential, but damn if it wasn't a good idea.

That is definitely something I enjoyed the most, Chapter 6 really did a good job bringing forth emotion from that choice. The music helped too. felt like a horrible human being for choosing either side because no matter what side you choose, you are breaking one of the families apart.

While I myself fall into the category of despising Revelation, I still enjoyed the whole of Fates for what it's worth and what (I thought) the theme meant: which was, make your choice and face the consequences, no matter how tragic they may be.

Despite its reputation, I still prefer Conquest over Birthright and I will stand by that choice. Casting away your "birth" family in favor for the ones who raised you and then proceeding to conquer the nation of the family you left was an interesting premise that I appreciated. While it didn't pan out how I thought (or wanted), I still enjoyed Conquest for its characters, its difficulty and a story that provided me with a broad spectrum of emotions--most of which were surprisingly positive despite my many grievances.

I am the same way with Conquest. I thoroughly enjoyed Conquest, and despite its issues, I thought its premise was good, and the emotional impact of some of the things that happened were well done. I was expecting to not feel anything towards the two deaths in Conquest because they both got spoiled for me early into Fates announcement and release in Japan, but the Chapter 25 death hit me pretty hard. The feeling of helplessness knowing that Iago was the reason for the persons death, and you couldnt do anything about it was really well done.

You should tag the thread for spoilers because they will inevitably pop up.

I liked a few things in the story. The choice at the route split was poignant, and even though the narrative is lopsided in favor of Hoshido, the game makes you feel bad for abandoning either group. This is the impact of the story premise in its purest form and it shows how good the story could have been had they developed the world and characters better, and stopped try to suck the player off.

In Revelation, we had Anankos' ability to summon the dead back as ghostly puppets. Normally I'd scorn the Naruto-esque "talk to deceased characters because it's dramatic" thing but the idea that Anankos rules over the spirits of the dead and can bring ANYONE back to life was pretty cool. I really liked that the characters retained their memory and personalities but at the same time, were warped to carry Anankos will. I wish Anankos was more involved in his own route because his powers were intriguing. Valla as a whole sounded like it could be very interesting if developed.

Edited by NekoKnight

I am the same way with Conquest. I thoroughly enjoyed Conquest, and despite its issues, I thought its premise was good, and the emotional impact of some of the things that happened were well done. I was expecting to not feel anything towards the two deaths in Conquest because they both got spoiled for me early into Fates announcement and release in Japan, but the Chapter 25 death hit me pretty hard. The feeling of helplessness knowing that Iago was the reason for the persons death, and you couldnt do anything about it was really well done.

While I didn't necessarily feel bad about Ryoma, my respect for his character went up several levels during his final chapter. He went out with honor and dignity in tact; I also took the gesture as a huge middle finger to Garon and Iago, so he gets bonus points for that.

I would also like to give a shout out to Zola, the most well-written minor villain. If I'm being honest, Zola is one of my favorite characters in Fates--particularly Birthright. He showed a characterization that was brief in execution but was effective. I actually cried a few tears when he was killed off; I did not cry for any other character throughout the entirety of Fates.

While I didn't necessarily feel bad about Ryoma, my respect for his character went up several levels during his final chapter. He went out with honor and dignity in tact; I also took the gesture as a huge middle finger to Garon and Iago, so he gets bonus points for that.

I would also like to give a shout out to Zola, the most well-written minor villain. If I'm being honest, Zola is one of my favorite characters in Fates--particularly Birthright. He showed a characterization that was brief in execution but was effective. I actually cried a few tears when he was killed off; I did not cry for any other character throughout the entirety of Fates.

Zola was a well written side villian. In the grand scheme of things, his idea in Conquest wasnt a terrible one. Sure it wasnt exactly an honorable thing to do, but its war. Just having them captured is enough to have Hoshido surrender to be honest,. I got the impression that Hoshido's military isnt exactly a strong one, or even a large one, which is why the invasion doesnt take very long once it starts.

I like Zola for all the wrong reasons. He's supposed to be despicable, but he comes across as one of the smarter people in the game, and shows more growth than many others in only a few chapters. Pretty good for a guy we're supposed to hate.

I rather like the stories of many of the support conversations. I actually think the story up to Chapter 6 is pretty good. I have no great quarrel with Birthright's story since it's pretty close to the only rational option. I actually don't think the overall conflict is bad, just the way the games go about dealing with it.

I like the Conquest siblings on all three paths they meant more to me then the Birthright siblings. I just connected more with them and was much sadder when things happened to them, even though I played Birthright first.

fwiw Conquest got an emotional response out of me

Namely Conquest 25

I'm fucking sad all the time over it

Well okay, Birthright did too, but I literally had to put down Conquest after 25 for a while and it's not because Inevitable End ninjas kicked my ass. I knew what was happening a long time ago and it doesn't mean it hurts any less.

(I like suffering; I'm an emotional masochist when it comes to my favs, most characters I enjoy end up dying, there's a pattern)

Also setting Corn's actions aside I liked the interaction between Ryoma and Xander in Conquest 18. I love it when those two lil shits are being 5 year olds to each other. UST UST UST just kiss

It's humanizing, and it also gives a nice contrast to their (far more mature) interactions as allies come Revelation--it gives a nice show of "not that different after all, when not enemies" and the only reason for their animosity is because their countries are at war, when they can really be good friends.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Zola was a well written side villian. In the grand scheme of things, his idea in Conquest wasnt a terrible one. Sure it wasnt exactly an honorable thing to do, but its war. Just having them captured is enough to have Hoshido surrender to be honest,. I got the impression that Hoshido's military isnt exactly a strong one, or even a large one, which is why the invasion doesnt take very long once it starts.

I got that impression about Hoshido's army, too. I always assumed the military never truly recovered after the killing of Sumeragi.

Takumi in Conquest, to be honest. If the rest of the story had agreed with him, he could have been a very well written anti villain. As it stands, he remains the only morally ambiguous part of Hoshido, and his descent into evil is somewhat Macbeth-Essie, although I shudder to relate Shakespeare's mastery in any way to... this. But, yeah, Takumi as a villain is good.

Takumi in Conquest, to be honest. If the rest of the story had agreed with him, he could have been a very well written anti villain. As it stands, he remains the only morally ambiguous part of Hoshido, and his descent into evil is somewhat Macbeth-Essie, although I shudder to relate Shakespeare's mastery in any way to... this. But, yeah, Takumi as a villain is good.

He does work as a good tragic villain. I enjoyed the later parts, especially the possession thing (but I have a thing for Undead and Demonic villains in stories so there is a bit of bias). I think there are more morally ambigouos parts of Hoshido. They definitely have a problem of racism, even with Azura who was maybe 5-6 when she was kidnapped, which is hardly an age for her to be in any way untrustworthy to the people. The only person who is acceptable in regards to that is Oboro, and I really dont count her as racist towards Nohrians, she just doesnt trust them which is reasonable. The entire concept of them having ninjas is also a bit morally ambiguous as the Ninja where assassins and spies during that time period. I am pretty sure Assassin doesnt fit under the "good" descriptor.

I enjoyed Fates' story more than 1/2 of the other plots this series has thrown at me so....

I especially adore the choice scene tho.

[spoiler=Conquest spoilas]While I dislike the execution of the Gooron twist, I do respect and like that they tried to have a villain like Lyon again. I like Garon as a villain in part because of this respect

I also like how Conquest did something I never thought I would never see in an FE game that didn't require hostages. Make me feel sympathetic for a character in the Camus archetype. Do Corrin and Xander in Conquest still count as Camuses tho? Eh, I'm going to say they do

Ryoma's death. Taking it at face value, it's done really well. It actually hit me in the feels.

Also, anything Saizo related. The way he looks, the way he talks, that facial expression when he crits(f yeah).

Edited by BruceLee

I did like how Revelations allows Corrin to go - 'you know what? Screw ALL of you.' It was the first time in any of the paths where I really had respect for Corrin.

Ch 18 of Birthright, as already mentioned, is really very nicely written. Corrin and Leo's dialogue is just perfect.

Omg i love Xander as my enemy on BR. Hes so gloriously stubborn and all tragic and junk. Him being all stubborn and not listening and then he accidentally slices Elise and omg my feels. Then hes like "imma fight you corn" but hes really saying "i want you to kill me corn" and im like "MY ACHING NIICHAN!"

im a sucker for that shit. I also love that chapter in Conquest (18) where everyone has dinner and its just full of tension and actually kinda hilarious.

Just about anything Leo does in any given route makes me smile.

People all over giving Corn the finger for a time in Rev. Yukimura doing that gives me life.

What happens to the Nohrian siblings in Birthright, though really tragic, was very interesting to me. Camilla becoming depressed and broken, losing what little mental stability she still had. Leo struggling between his duty and his sense of morality. Elise not giving in to the despair around her and trying to find a peaceful compromise, never losing hope. I won't talk about Xander since this about is stuff we liked.

In Conquest, I enjoyed Sakura's chapter, her staying to help her army defend the fort showed a lot of determination and courage. I thought the end of the chapter was written well, too, it really gave me a feeling of shit getting real. Ryoma's chapter was also very good. I was waiting for someone to go apeshit on Kamui (well, other than Takumi).

The Ice Tribe and the Cheve rebels are subplots I REALLY loved that I wish had been more/better developed.

[spoiler=Conquest chapter 26]we FINALLY see corrin standing up for him/herself and Iago and Hans subsequently get their asses handed to them.

no matter how bad/jarring the overall story of conquest was, playing that chapter grants so much satisfaction.

Edited by darkestdarkness

I think the story was alright, its just that after chapter 6 when you make your decision the story goes exactly the way you imagine it i.e. Birthright/Conquest/Revelation plot convenience will reveal the main enemy, you defeat it and the war is over. The campaign is mostly filled out with drama between your character and the faction you go against and doesnt do anything really intelligent or take risks

Chapter 22 of Conquest, with Yukimura exploding and Sakura desperate, and the fact she stayed to fight.

I actually liked the beginning. You are able to negotiate with the Ice Tribe, as it is implied you can actually do things differently. Cheve was good too for just mercilessly crushing that silly idea. I was curious about the other world when I saw the animation and then we fought on that floating island, but after the crystal ball everything went downhill. It would have been better if after some time Corrin actually got Garon/Iago trust instead of being chased like that.

On BR I liked that Corrin calls Garon out, although it was surreal he would take leadership from Ryoma.

The funny thing is that in CQ, except for Takumi, your other siblings are blindly trying to get your back no matter what you do, while in BR you fight, but are able to talk to both Camilla, Leo and Elise about the situation in various occasions while also learning more about them (and without the crystal ball), which made the story better overall.

The Hoshido siblings didn't have the same treatment in CQ, unfortunately. While getting to know Camilla, Leo and Elise better was good for the "they were pretty cool guys, I should have stayed with them, or etc", playing very well with the theme of abandoning one family. But we never get that emotional vibe with the Hoshidan siblings that make us think the same. We think "I should have joined them" for the stupidity of the story and Corrin being spineless.

On both paths, I liked chapter 5 and 6. I thought they were pretty good in getting an emotional response.

Also, this happened after playing the game on both routes at least once. In the first, I played Conquest. I didn't care for the retainers and other characters of Birthright I killed because I didn't know them. When I played BR I felt bad in killing some Nohrian characters. The same happened later when I played CQ again and now knew who was who. Maybe it's a game that was made to grow in time in this aspect.

Haven't played REV yet.

Edited by Lanko

tbh I think the avatar's reasoning for joining Nohr was pretty solid exept for that 1 line about hearing Gannon's side of the story

I think they both had really good ch 26s' Elise's and Ryoma's daeths were pretty intense and heartbreaking