Why is Nintendo so outdated with their online gaming?

IceBrand

Compare the Wii U and 3DS to the other company such as PS4 and Xbox One. They have all these features that are norm on all other platforms. These are non existed on Nintendo systems. Heck the original Xbox has better online than the Wii U. I hope the NC has better online. Anyone ideas of what you want?

I actually prefer the Wii U's online to the XBone and PS4's. If I want to chat with friends, that's what Skype and Discord is for. Online Gaming should only be for just that, online gaming.

That, and Wii U online is free, so I'm biased

The same reason nintendo released a 8gb wii u that is only capable of playing smash 4.

I actually prefer the Wii U's online to the XBone and PS4's. If I want to chat with friends, that's what Skype and Discord is for. Online Gaming should only be for just that, online gaming.

Isn't online gaming on the ps4 free?

Just better connection would be great. I have problems all the time on the 3ds even though I can run MMOs on a computer wirelessly without problem.

Edited by Tolvir

Funny thing, in the last Game Awards, the one that won Best Multiplayer / Online Experience was an online-focused Nintendo game.

Edited by Jave

The same reason nintendo released a 8gb wii u that is only capable of playing smash 4.

It isn't even playable on an 8gb Wii U.

I have a physical copy of SSB4 and I can't play it on my friend's 8gb Wii U due to the updates.

The 3DS's internet can be good, but a bit shakey at times. Not sure about the Wii U since I don't own one yet, but I'm sure it's much more stable. I can't complain honestly. It's good AND free!

No, it isnt, but it is on PS3

...*sigh*...and that's a minus 1 for me getting a PS4 in the near future(and it was doing well in getting my interest). Still haven't got a PS3 yet(and I've been waiting one for a good while). I honestly might get a Wii U, NX, PS3 before I get a PS4 at this rate! ;3

The simple answer is that it's bad because it's free. It takes a lot of resources to support a large online network with the significant daily userbase that game consoles see. If they provided a quality experience without a fee they would lose a lot of money; Sony explained why they had to switch business models pushing forward and Microsoft has been ahead of the curve for a long time in this field.

I can be hard on Nintendo, but they legitimately can't dump resources into it without seeing some kind of return. It's passable and does what it's supposed to. SHOULD they invest into it and begin charging a subscription fee? Probably, if the goal is to compete with other brands in that market, but I'm not really sure that's ever been Nintendo's intentions, and chances are they'd still be worse because the other two companies have genuine expertise in the field. Nintendo's strengths have always been fantastic single player and couch co-op experiences, I imagine that's what they'll continue focusing on - but I could be wrong, too.

It's $50 per year on PS4, and you get access to a list of free games (that you get to keep) on a monthly basis as long as you're subscribed, the list typically being 4-5 indie games and one major title that was released in the last 1-2 years (this month's "big" free game is Zombi). The amount of games you get for free over the course of a year easily pays for the cost of the subscription in terms of value.

It's worth note that some games don't require a PS+ subscription for online play, games like FF14. You also keep your other online features like Netflix.

Edit: http://www.polygon.com/2015/12/6/9856220/playstation-plus-2015free-games-worth-rating-comparison

Link tells you all you need to know about the value you get lol.

Edited by Tangerine

Because Sony doesn't force you to pay the PS+ subscription to play games that have their own subscription fees. So games like FF14 and ESO don't require PS+ to be played online.

Free to play online games also don't require PS+, like DC Universe, Warframe or various F2P MMOs for example.

Edited by Tangerine

People have been going back and forth on this for years now. To me it comes down to what niches each company wants to fill. Obviously Nintendo has a long history of family and party games, which lend themselves to in-house multiplayer. MAYBE if Nintendo focused more on online-gaming it would put them in the exact same market as PS4/Xbone and the competition would just be that much worse, but you'd probably have to go into an advance analysis and crunch numbers to really figure that out.

Does anybody here have kids? What do they play? I almost feel like, while children are the target audience, adults who grew up on nintendo are the majority of their customer demographic, and honestly, adults are not going to buy as many video games as kids, especially when most adults are playing on PC through steam and whatnot.

I wouldn't say most adults are playing through Steam (at least not exclusively), PlayStation and Xbox dominate social media sites in the gaming world, which are in turn dominated by young adults. Young adults are definitely gravitating towards those brands over any other when it comes to gaming.

I think Nintendo is exceptionally weak in that demographic, but significant among younger and older audiences. I don't think there's any question that Nintendo is still popular among children, it's hard to go anywhere without seeing a kid wearing a Mario or Yoshi shirt or something lol.

Edited by Tangerine

Yeah, basically it sucks because it's free and Nintendo doesn't like voice chat. Xbox Live's party system is great, but it doesn't come for free, which sucks cause I stopped paying for their service before I started playing Dark Souls. I don't play games online on my PS3 at all, so I can't comment on that. I haven't played either of the new gens of consoles, but I assume their an improvement on the older ones. I was quite disappointed with the Wii U's inability to communicate easily with friends while in-game when it seemed like such an easy thing to do with Xbox Live.

As for whether or not games like Splatoon or Smash Bros. should have had voice chat, I dunno. Smash Bros. would probably just end up being a bunch of trash talk, though Splatoon might have benefited from it. It seems like something that could've been implemented in parental controls easily enough at the system's launch.

I just hope the NX's online is better, even if we have to pay for it.

The problem for voice chat in Splatoon is not only rude, trash talking people.

There's also the languange barrier. I've ran into a lot japanese players in Splatoon.

And quite frankly, I dislike voice chat, because it always end up in trash talk.

But if you're with friends then it shouldn't matter. Xbox Live allows you to make a chat party with friends no matter what game(s) you're playing, together or separate. Being able to join in with four of your friends and talk to each other in a game of Splatoon would only be an improvement.

I think part of it is that Nintendo doesn't research non-Nintendo stuff.

Prior to the Wii U launch, people referred to Xbox Live and PSN when developing Miiverse and no one had heard of either before.

Nintendo's an old Japanese company and Japan can be kind of stubborn about embracing online stuff. It took forever for itunes, streaming, digital music, etc. to really start being a thing over there. Of course Sony is also a Japanese company but they're also a company focused on technology so I'm not too surprised. Fortunately most my online experiences with Nintendo stuff have been positive, but Smash can be a nightmare if any of your friends has crappy internet.

i did not know this. i'll stick with my ps3 then

yeah but almost all of the games that are online on the ps3, their servers are turned off.... so yeah the servers are free.... but your options on what games you can play is VERY limited