Opinion of DQ 8 skill points/weapons?

Reality

I played this on playstation 2 a while back, and I still hold the majority opinion that it's the best dragon quest.

But one thing that disappointed me, was that I didn't experiment that much with the different weapons you can put on each character, and basically kept the same type throughout the game and just upgraded based on stats.

Just wondering how other people feel about them.

I liked it, but felt it was kinda unbalanced at times

Like, Axes reign supreme for Yangus, Swords and sometimes spears for hero, etc.

Also I hate how Angelo's automatic MP restoration is 100 skill points into staves, rather than the lower number Jessica has. Did not help that Angelo seemed to get the least points overall for whatever reason. The 3DS version apparently fixes this though.

I wouldn't say axes are flat out the best in Yangus' case. It's only really Helm Splitter that is broken and you only need a few points to get that, scythes are actually where his highest single target -and- aoe damage is. The only real reason you'd ever want to invest more into axes past Helm Splitter is if you want to grind metal king slimes, but that's also not necessary. He and the hero are fairly well balanced in terms of the skill paths you can go down.

Edited by Tangerine

I actually found Executioner very useful for Empyrea, since she has really high Defense and an immunity to defense lowering.

I actually forget what I did to deal with her in my first run (where I was an idiot and used Hammers), since trying to do it without Executioner spam ultimately resulted in Angelo running his MP...

I liked it, but felt it was kinda unbalanced at times

Like, Axes reign supreme for Yangus, Swords and sometimes spears for hero, etc.

Also I hate how Angelo's automatic MP restoration is 100 skill points into staves, rather than the lower number Jessica has. Did not help that Angelo seemed to get the least points overall for whatever reason. The 3DS version apparently fixes this though.

But then makes Yangus kind of pointless thanks to the new party members, so it's kind of a pick your poison here.

Angelo was fine with his lower points though because he actually learns a decent spread of skills with the lower points. It was done to keep him balanced.