How long has Xenoblade Chronicles (wii) been on the WiiU eShop? (US)

DarkDestr0yer61

Just came out yesterday. I don't intend to get it myself though, since I enjoy my 3DS copy enough as-is.

Edited by Dai

Just came out yesterday. I don't intend to get it myself though, since I enjoy my 3DS copy enough as-is.

I mean. I have a physical copy of the Wii version. I was just going through the eShop and was shocked to see that

What are the differences between the Wii U VC and N3DS versions? I want to get one version so I can confirm that it is not the best Wii game despite what everyone says.

What are the differences between the Wii U VC and N3DS versions? I want to get one version so I can confirm that it is not the best Wii game despite what everyone says.

I am curious about this as well, I'm not sure what differences the game has. But Knight says that the Wii version is the definitive version

How are you going to disprove opinions?

I am curious about this as well, I'm not sure what differences the game has. But Knight says that the Wii version is the definitive version

The Wii version has

Japanese and English voice options

A smoother graphical performance in general

Better textures

Multiple Controller options with Classic Controller etc.

480p resolution

The 3DS has

A Music Player

A model viewer

A shulk amiibo support

240p resolution

The changes were honestly minimal.

Edited by kingddd

The worst parts of the gameplay are the large amounts of padding near, but not at, the end of the game, where the areas have much less stuff, the sidequests are less interesting, and cool and story-important bosses are sparse. On the other hand, this is when the game's excellent battle system gets most complex. The game in general does require some grinding, and the battle system is a lot to take in all at once, but the battle system is amazingly fun.

The reason I say the Wii version is the best is because, despite looking kinda dated up-close, Xenoblade has some surprisingly beautiful vistas that are a treat to the eyes on a nice big screen. What's even more impressive is that often large beautiful scenery in the distance is something you can often explore and it's not even behind a loading screen. I think playing it on a 3DS would be a disservice to the environment designers.

The worst parts of the gameplay are the large amounts of padding near, but not at, the end of the game, where the areas have much less stuff, the sidequests are less interesting, and cool and story-important bosses are sparse. On the other hand, this is when the game's excellent battle system gets most complex. The game in general does require some grinding, and the battle system is a lot to take in all at once, but the battle system is amazingly fun.

The reason I say the Wii version is the best is because, despite looking kinda dated up-close, Xenoblade has some surprisingly beautiful vistas that are a treat to the eyes on a nice big screen. What's even more impressive is that often large beautiful scenery in the distance is something you can often explore and it's not even behind a loading screen. I think playing it on a 3DS would be a disservice to the environment designers.

I actually think the early game at the mines is the weakest part of the game myself, but then it picks up like tremendously

I actually think the early game at the mines is the weakest part of the game myself, but then it picks up like tremendously

I dunno, to me, the 2 Mechonis areas after the Fallen Arm and the inner Bionis felt much less fun and really, really long. Maybe it's cause I was underleveled when I got there, but they were really slow to me, and there was much less of a reward for exploration since the former two areas were destined to blow up. There are no new interesting NPCs and the environments just weren't as pretty or as varied.

I actually liked the early game a lot, at least compared to other RPGs, because beginnings tend to be really slow and areas very enclosed, but Colony 9 is huge compared to most starting towns in games, and Gaur Plain needs no introduction to its hugeness. That's part of what motivated me to continue playing.

Edited by Knight

I dunno, to me, the 2 Mechonis areas after the Fallen Arm and the inner Bionis felt much less fun and really, really long. Maybe it's cause I was underleveled when I got there, but they were really slow to me, and there was much less of a reward for exploration since the former two areas were destined to blow up. There are no new interesting NPCs and the environments just weren't as pretty or as varied.

I actually liked the early game a lot, at least compared to other RPGs, because beginnings tend to be really slow and areas very enclosed, but Colony 9 is huge compared to most starting towns in games, and Gaur Plain needs no introduction to its hugeness. That's part of what motivated me to continue playing.

I can see that line of reasoning

I like the Guar Plains segment, I just think the Mines went a little too long haha, but opinions. Also I think sometimes a nice casual slow introduction can be good depending on the game, but you're right Xenoblade stands out right away.

whoa! I have the Wii version and am contemplating getting the 3DS version for portable Dunban. I do not have a Wii U and it looks like im gonna not get one at all.

One last question... what are the best and worst parts of the gameplay?

Best parts of the gameplay are the following:

Exploration. The game is huge and unlike many JRPGs, this one has an almost Skyrim-esque style of exploration and finding junk. Its really great. Plus, when you unlock map markers, you can instantly travel between them.

Gem making is really kind of weird at first, but once you get to understanding it, it makes building your team really fun and amazing.

The Affinity system is really great and allows you to link skills between party members. As you unlock more skills, get more Affinity Coins (by leveling and beating Named Monsters), and link them, your team can wind up being rather self sufficient. And its pretty vital to team success.

Battle can be a bit overwhelming at first due to it being real time and stuff. But once you figure it out (and its not hard to figure out), its super fun. When the going gets tough, Topple.

The Worst Parts of the gameplay are as follows:

Some of the quests are really tedious "please find me fifty bear arses" type crap. You actually have to get through some of those to get to the good quests that are actually fun to do and yield good loot. Some of them take a long time to do. Quite a few of them are timed, which means that they must be done before reaching a certain point in the game. Luckily the quest book shows you which ones these are.

Theres a portion of the game thats actually downright boring. Its once you get to the next "town" and go through the Ether Mines. But the game gets super amazingly awesome once this point is passed.

There are some quests (like rebuilding a certain area) that have items that are SUPER DIFFICULT to find. Curse you, Rainbow Slugs! And this may have you running to guides trying to figure it out.

You will run into monsters and things that are super high leveled and can mop the floor with your team in one fell swoop. Luckily, you can run and avoid these if you cant take them on, but they do oft result in an occasional game over if you arent careful.

General Tips:

Try out each party member to find out their strengths and weaknesses. Example: Reyn hits like a dump truck, but is slow as molasses. Find the party combo that works for you.

One character (Melia) actually works a thousand times better if the player controls her. Keep that in mind.

You do NOT have to excessively grind in this game to get through the main story. If you are keeping up with quests in each area you visit, you will likely have enough experience/level to tackle stuff as it comes. While you can grind and relatively easily, its not necessary. You only really need to grind to take on some of the late game quests to get that HELLA GOOD loot in those hella weird areas and take on those level 90 looking fuckers you may encounter.

Collect as much as you can and explore, explore, explore.

Do quests. Cannot stress that enough.

The secret to obliteration lies within the Chain Attack. Build the party gauge (one character has a move that actually helps fill it) and spam spam spam.

This game is super fun and im glad its actually easier for people to get now!

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

Are there any permanent missables or similar things? Is there a really good guide I should have nearby, should I ever need to consult one?

You can permanently miss some quests due to a number of them being timed, but as mentioned, they are marked in-game for you. I don't know if there's anything you might be able to miss otherwise, but I haven't exactly played very far.

Are there any permanent missables or similar things? Is there a really good guide I should have nearby, should I ever need to consult one?

There are some areas that are not revisitable after certain points in the game, but there are no items of value or important sidequests permanently lost. You can no longer find collectible items exclusive to the areas, but if you want to fill your completionist hunger, the items are still found through trading sequences with NPCs. Sidequests that become unavailable after certain times are clearly marked, thanks above.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/960564-xenoblade-chronicles/faqs/62899

This guide tells you all the areas without giving away any but the necessary plot details. No boss names or important events are relayed, but it's not spoiler free. The fact that the areas named in here become accessible might give away some plot details.

As far as a guide, I don't think the game really needs one. It's hard to get lost with how good the map is, the only things I'd recommend are guides to find items for sidequests, and maybe looking up things about the terminology, what certain buffs and debuffs do, that kind of stuff.

Edited by Knight

No the main story and dungeons and things like that, do not need a guide at all. You really wont be digging for one for that. You WILL be digging for one to find out who trades what and who gives what quest, who you can send to a certain colony, what drops what, etc.

Since I'm a completionist, I'm a bit cautious about a game that is purportedly 100+ hours long.

It really does take that long for one playthrough if you really are trying to get everything you can. One thing i can tell you, its worth it. I got the game on a whim back in 2012 or so for 50 bucks new. I did not regret it. (and im not one to spend money willynilly.) Just get it, mang