Anyone else playing Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow from the eShop?

Anacybele

Wow I didn't know you could get Mew here. I remember seeing a video about it and tried it for myself and I have two mews.

I've just started leaving Cerulean city as well.

Pikachu lv. 18

Nidoqueen lv. 25

Bulbasaur lv. 10

Pidgeotto lv. 18

Charmander lv. 14

So many people got crits off on me and that's why my Nidoqueen is far better than the rest. Also I had just gotten Bulbasuar so that'll take some time to raise.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually referring to STAB, since Lapras would get it from Ice Beam. Thinking about it, Lapras learns Ice Beam via leveling so you could always go the Trainer Red route and use them both.

Or do you have a final team planned out? I'm eager to see what you choose if so.

Yeah, my current team + Squirtle, but minus Charmeleon. It'll be replaced with Ponyta/Rapidash. I'm not a big fan of many gen 1 Pokemon. So I thought I might as well just use the starters and save myself some trouble on deciding a team. So the final team will be:

Pikachu

Rapidash

Fearow

Nidoqueen

Blastoise

Venusaur

lol, we have the exact same team save for our bird, Jason. I went with Spearow/Fearow because I used the Pidgey line so dang much in Pokemon games that I've grown tired of it. Besides, I like Fearow's Drill Peck attack.

Also, I wanted to teach Dig to one of my Pokemon for Lt. Surge, but none of them can learn it except Charmeleon. I hoped Nidoqueen could learn it. -_-

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah, my current team + Squirtle, but minus Charmeleon. It'll be replaced with Ponyta/Rapidash. I'm not a big fan of many gen 1 Pokemon. So I thought I might as well just use the starters and save myself some trouble on deciding a team. So the final team will be:

Pikachu

Rapidash

Fearow

Nidoqueen

Blastoise

Venusaur

lol, we have the exact same team save for our bird, Jason. I went with Spearow/Fearow because I used the Pidgey line so dang much in Pokemon games that I've grown tired of it. Besides, I like Fearow's Drill Peck attack.

Also, I wanted to teach Dig to one of my Pokemon for Lt. Surge, but none of them can learn it except Charmeleon. I hoped Nidoqueen could learn it. -_-

Nidoqueen can't learn dig? Well that's unfortunate.

My Final team:

Pikachu

Charizard

Lapras

Nidoqueen

Aerodactyl

Venasaur / Exeggutor (depends on Lapras moveset)

Aw man... That healer girl on the SS Anne from FR/LG isn't there in Yellow. My team is beat up from battling and there are still more trainers to battle on the ship, including Gary because I know you encounter him right before meeting the ship's captain. I can leave the ship to go to the Pokemon center and come back, right? I mean, it'd be kind of dumb not to be able to since the Cut HM is found there and you need it to progress...

Speaking if Critical Hits, here's something else I remebered:

In Gen 1, Critical Hits works in a different way. Critical Hits are defined by Speed. The faster the Pokemon, the more chances it has to land Critical Hits.

For example, Anacybele, considering your team, I imagine that your Pikachu and your Fearow are getting more Critical Hits, compared to the other Pokemon in your team.

Watch for Persian, it's a very strong Pokemon in Gen 1. A high-level Persian with Slash, has 100% chance of landing a Critical Hit.

I'm not joking. Be careful!

I thought the crit system felt different here. Critical hits were happening more often than in later gens. For both me and the NPCs.

And wow, that Persian Slash is so unfair. :/

So, thanks to a post on Miiverse, I found out that apparently, the Q Glitch is possible. For reference, the Q Glitch is a glitch where you combine some Pokemon in the PC using the Glitch Pokemon Q to teach the Pokemon you want moves that it would normally not know. In my case, that move is Surf on Pikachu. So, my question is, which Pokemon is the best to get a special stat of 192 in order to catch a glitch that evolves into Q?

If you're not abusing Missingno., Kadabra/Alakazam is probably the easiest to get to 192. If you are, pretty much anything with decent Special will work.

Well, I finally got around to battling Lt. Surge, and god, his Raichu is OP. I'm glad it's the only Pokemon he has in this game. It would've crushed my whole team if I didn't have a Nidoqueen with Body Slam. I've always hated his gym too. The stupid trash can switches can take forever to find.

I've picked up the Squirtle from Officer Jenny and evolved it already as well, though it's still playing catch up with my other team members. I'm exploring Route 11 now.

Pikachu lv. 24

Fearow lv. 23

Nidoqueen lv. 24

Ivysaur lv. 24

Charmeleon lv. 24

Wartortle lv. 20

Edited by Anacybele

Any Ground type would have wrecked his steeze really. The wonders of poor balancing in Gen I ~o3o~

Agreed on the trash can puzzle. That shit is always annoying

I don't want to be forced to use a stupid Geodude or Diglett though. No other Pokemon at this point can use any Ground type moves. I wanted to give Nidoqueen Dig, but she can't learn it for whatever reason. >_>

At least her Body Slam was good enough.

Edited by Anacybele

I know, I was just pointing out that any Ground type would have worked due to the fact that Raichu's only good move being Thunderbolt. And hey, at least she can learn Earthquake eventually

And I think her not being able to learn Dig is an oversight like how Charizard couldn't learn Fly in RBG

Yeah, at least she can get Earthquake later, you're right. Speaking of learning moves, I wish Pikachu would get Thunderbolt already. I guess it gets it later in Yellow than later games.

Yeah, at least she can get Earthquake later, you're right. Speaking of learning moves, I wish Pikachu would get Thunderbolt already. I guess it gets it later in Yellow than later games.

Fun Fact: Pikachu can't learn Thunderbolt by level up in R/B. Also, Yellow through Gen 4 Pikachu learns Thunderbolt at level 26, the earliest of any Pikachu. Gen 5 and X/Y Pikachu learns it at 29, and in OR/AS it learns it at 42.

It can't learn it by level up in Red or Blue? That's dumb, glad they changed that from Yellow onwards. But it also looks like GF can't make up their minds on when exactly it should learn it. :/

I'm going through Diglett's Cave now.

It can't learn it by level up in Red or Blue? That's dumb, glad they changed that from Yellow onwards. But it also looks like GF can't make up their minds on when exactly it should learn it. :/

I'm going through Diglett's Cave now.

Yeah, Pikachu has always been in a weird position. I guess with Thunderbolt being so strong, Gamefreak continually decided to push it, Flamethrower, and Ice Beam far back in any level up pool. However now there are filler moves like Shock, Shock Wave and Discharge to fill the gap between Thundershock and Thunderbolt in power so it's a much smoother power curve.

Also dragon types only became OP in gen 3, with the addition of Salamence, the Lati twins and Rayquaza plus Draco Claw and Draco Meteor, though Outrage kind of helped in gen 2. But Dragonite and later Kingdra were kind of mediocre yet that's all that was available. Sort of like how fighting types in gen 1 were all considered bad but later on became some of the strongest Pokemon with vastly improved movepools and better meta matchups once psychic types were nerfed. Psychic is ridiculously OP in gen 1 along with normal types. I think just after Mewtwo, Tauros is considered the best competitive Pokemon in the game due to its absurdly strong Body Slam.

Please don't hate on Persian in gen 1, yeah it has an obscene crit rate but gen 1 is the only time it was ever a top tier mon due to the crit calculations and it's just so cool looking. NPC Persians aren't even particularly strong so Blue players can train a Bubblebeam + Slash Persian and take it through the whole game. It's quite potent.

Yeah, the addition of more offensive moves in those move pools do help that power curve. I can already tell Psychic types are OP in gen 1 myself because they keep hammering me. Does Hypnosis have a higher hit rate in these games? I'm being hit by it way more often than in later games. I can barely beat these Pokemon... I don't know if I'll ever get past Sabrina.

I never said anything about hating Persian, I actually kind of like it. :P

I'm in Fuschia City now, but it appears I'm a tad underleveled for the gym. I ended up pitting a lv. 32-33 team against a lv. 38 Hypno. Almost got beat. -_-

Catching a Snorlax wasn't fun either... Stupid Rest. But I got lucky and managed to catch one of the two available. Also, I discovered that you can freaking MISS when throwing a ball. My regular Pokeballs repeatedly missed the Snorlax. Wtf... xP

And whoever said Ponyta isn't available until Cinnabar Island was incorrect. I found one on the Cycling Road! It was lv. 30 too, so it was on par with my team at the time. I switched out my Charmeleon for it immediately. Ponyta must like cycling roads, btw, because you can also find it in the Sinnoh cycling road in Platinum. lol Ponyta seems to be really good in this game, btw. It can hit hard and really fast. It'd be amazing if Fire type moves could be physical back then. I'll update this post (if I have to) with my current team levels once I boot up the game later.

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah, the addition of more offensive moves in those move pools do help that power curve. I can already tell Psychic types are OP in gen 1 myself because they keep hammering me. Does Hypnosis have a higher hit rate in these games? I'm being hit by it way more often than in later games. I can barely beat these Pokemon... I don't know if I'll ever get past Sabrina.

Hypnosis has a 59.8% to hit in RBY. You're just getting unlucky.

Yellow's gym leaders' levels are a bit wack.

[spoiler=Koga]Level 44 Venonat

Level 46 Venonat

Level 48 Venonat

Level 50 Venomoth

Edited by Konnor97

Hypnosis has a 59.8% to hit in RBY. You're just getting unlucky.

Yellow's gym leaders' levels are a bit wack.

[spoiler=Koga]Level 44 Venonat

Level 46 Venonat

Level 48 Venonat

Level 50 Venomoth

...The hell?! That's ridiculous. Erika's levels were just 32-34, that is a really stupid level curve right there.

As for Hypnosis, it figures. I never get lucky with it. I can never get it to hit and it always hits me...

...The hell?! That's ridiculous. Erika's levels were just 32-34, that is a really stupid level curve right there.

As for Hypnosis, it figures. I never get lucky with it. I can never get it to hit and it always hits me...

I think the game wants you clear both routes to Fuschia City in Yellow before fighting Koga. Koga's Yellow team is just about on par level-wise with RB Giovanni.

[spoiler=Sabrina]Level 50 Abra

Level 50 Kadabra

Level 50 Alakazam

Edited by Konnor97

Yeah, I assumed that myself, but I still don't think I'll be anywhere near those levels when I'm done. -_-

At least Sabrina doesn't skyrocket in levels...

EDIT:

Pikachu lv. 34

Ponyta lv. 33

Nidoqueen lv. 32

Venusaur lv. 33

Wartortle lv. 33

Fearow lv. 32

I've cleared the Cycling Road and half the routes south of Lavender Town. Yeah, I will not be near Koga's levels at all when I'm done here.

Edited by Anacybele

Clear Silph if you haven't yet. That should give you a few more levels.

Koga shouldn't be a problem if you promote your cavalier first, but you could easily leave Sabrina until after Blaine because she's arguably the tougher fight.