Mighty No. 9's release date revealed! Game released

Water Mage

How long has this been in development?

They started late 2013, though some concepts were already complete before that. Nearly 3 years for this is pathetic... I feel like Azure Striker managed to do more with less and still come out in time and look way more stylistically cohesive. There's a reason so many indie games or small devs work on 2D platformers... the turnaround on them is a lot shorter. This game has been finished for a year too, just delayed for a bunch of multiplayer features and to launch on some Chinese company's Android device.

Edited by Samias

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, the question is not when, but how much.

Does this look a like 4-millilon dollar game to you?!

Considering that it's actually an $800 grand game with a buttload of extra features and ported to every platform imaginable, no.

Considering that it's actually an $800 grand game with a buttload of extra features and ported to every platform imaginable, no.

Wait, where did the rest of the money go?

The 4-million was from the original kickstarter alone, so it should be focused on that.

Wait, where did the rest of the money go?

The 4-million was from the original kickstarter alone, so it should be focused on that.

The $800,000 was for the development and release of the base game on PC. The Kickstarter itself raised four million and smashed every stretch goal they put up on there.

So the core game is sub-$1 million, with the rest put towards porting the game to Mac, Linux, PS4, Xbox One, Wii U, 3DS, Vita, Xbox 360, and PS3 with extra online functionality for every single one of them.

I think the biggest problem is that they got too ambitious with the stretch goals.

Also, on the topic of the trailer: the head of Inti Creates, Takuya, Aizu, isn't thrilled with it.

https://twitter.com/t_aizu/status/735652527450947584

I just watched jim sterling's commentary, and he had lot of fun with that "cry harder than an anime fan on prom night" joke. Way to alienate your fan base.

The $800,000 was for the development and release of the base game on PC. The Kickstarter itself raised four million and smashed every stretch goal they put up on there.

So the core game is sub-$1 million, with the rest put towards porting the game to Mac, Linux, PS4, Xbox One, Wii U, 3DS, Vita, Xbox 360, and PS3 with extra online functionality for every single one of them.

I think the biggest problem is that they got too ambitious with the stretch goals.

Also, on the topic of the trailer: the head of Inti Creates, Takuya, Aizu, isn't thrilled with it.

https://twitter.com/t_aizu/status/735652527450947584

I see.

Even so, those graphics on the PV are quite frankly, incredibly dated.

What were they thinking?

I see.

Even so, those graphics on the PV are quite frankly, incredibly dated.

What were they thinking?

That's the $4 million question.

In all seriousness, the game is running off of Unreal Engine 3; current gen consoles hadn't even launched when they opened the kickstarter.

They specifically stated that all extra money will be used to up the budget of the game, in addition to the stretch goals.

While I'll still be playing the game (I contributed and I'm getting a free digital copy) and I might end up enjoying it, the graphics feel like a huge disappointment.

They specifically stated that all extra money will be used to up the budget of the game, in addition to the stretch goals.

While I'll still be playing the game (I contributed and I'm getting a free digital copy) and I might end up enjoying it, the graphics feel like a huge disappointment.

I missed that.

Though expecting much different from the graphics was kinda setting yourself up for disappointment. It's Unreal Engine 3 and looks similar to the mock-up they showed while the KS was still going on.

I missed that.

Though expecting much different from the graphics was kinda setting yourself up for disappointment. It's Unreal Engine 3 and looks similar to the mock-up they showed while the KS was still going on.

You can't really set the bar low when the initial promise is that "This game will look so awesome, you won't be thinking on how many polygons or shaders or GURPS it's pushing or not pushing".

Even with all the promises, delays, and the all-star staff, they didn't deliver, and that's where the disappointment lays.

You can't really set the bar low when the initial promise is that "This game will look so awesome, you won't be thinking on how many polygons or shaders or GURPS it's pushing or not pushing".

Even with all the promises, delays, and the all-star staff, they didn't deliver, and that's where the disappointment lays.

Could you please tell me where that was said?

Could you please tell me where that was said?

Kickstarter FAQ:

What kind of graphic fidelity are you aiming for?

We realize it can be hard to envision the project, since everything we’ve shown so far are mockups made for design documents. We do want to be clear this is no retro de-make; the fidelity we based our budget on to set our initial Kickstarter goal is for a game in-line with AAA current-gen console (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U) 2D download titles. We can also safely say the plan is to use what is often called the “2.5D” setup: 3D models for characters and most objects, with the gameplay in 2D.

But maybe a better way of thinking about it is this: No matter what, Mighty No. 9 won’t be pushing the technological envelope of what the hottest AAA next-gen games are doing, but that’s not the point; the point is it’s going to look awesome—at least so awesome, in terms of both design and tech, that you won’t be thinking about how many polygons or shaders or GURPS or whatever that it’s pushing or not pushing. If you’re still wondering, you could look at the two developers working on Mighty No. 9, look at their previous games, look at the early art and overall production value you see evident on this page, and decide for yourself what they are capable of. Either way, we are confident that, if you were interested enough in the game to read this far into the page, you don’t need to worry about this.

Kickstarter FAQ:

Ahh.

And yet they went with UE3. If you aren't going to " push the technological envelope of what the hottest AAA next-gen games are doing" and then claim that "it's going to look awesome", you shoulda done 2D. And looking at the two developers, it's obvious that 2D would've been right up their alley.

I have never seen this brought up until now; there is reason for complaint.

Kickstarter FAQ:

I just remembered this, and now I remember why I was so pissed.

How did Mighty. No. 9 fall.

Everyone loved him, and now look what happened.

I know I said this before, but this is giving Kickstarter and Crowdfunded games a bad name.

At least there are good examples, like Bloodstained and Yooka-Laylee.

Got to say, I was quite interested when the Kickstarter took off back in 2013. The concept art looked great too. Kinda wished they went with that style instead of the now bland looking style they seem to be using. Didn't back it, so I have no reason to complain, but I feel for those who did. I think many people will feel burnt after their experience with this game as a Kickstarter and will likely never back again.

At least there are good examples, like Bloodstained and Yooka-Laylee.

Or undertale, or hiveswap, or shadowrun returns, or broken age, or banner saga.

THere have been successsfull kickstarters for years. This is also not the first game kickstarter to underwealm after the fact (see the OUYA, which raised double the amount of Mighty number nine). Does anyone go into kickstarter nowindays expecting a guarenteed return? I think that most people get that there is risk involved.

Also, is that actually the official sonic twitter?

Edited by sirmola

Or undertale, or hiveswap, or shadowrun returns, or broken age, or banner saga.

THere have been successsfull kickstarters for years. This is also not the first game kickstarter to underwealm after the fact (see the OUYA, which raised double the amount of Mighty number nine). Does anyone go into kickstarter nowindays expecting a guarenteed return? I think that most people get that there is risk involved.

I know, but Mighty is probably the most well know Kickstarter, and when people think of Kickstarters, Mighty is usually the first thing that come to mind. This hurts Kickstarters quite a bit.

Also, is that actually the official sonic twitter?

Yup, and the guy's awesome.

And quite frankly, deserves a raise, considering how well he handles such a chaotic fanbase.

I know, but Mighty is probably the most well know Kickstarter, and when people think of Kickstarters, Mighty is usually the first thing that come to mind. This hurts Kickstarters quite a bit.

Judging from the overwhelming popularity of Undertale, I'd say Kickstarters have been painted in a positive light by its influence, because it must be the first thing that comes to mind when we mention an indie kickstarter project.

Some bit of news came today:

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/05/30/mighty-no-9-platform-survey-deadline-extended-june-1-2016/

That's...kinda sad actually.

I almost feel sorry for Comcept, but they dug their own grave.

The initial survey they sent was broken for the first couple of days so I assume at least some people forgot to go back to it.

The initial survey they sent was broken for the first couple of days so I assume at least some people forgot to go back to it.

Oh, was that it?

I thought the backers were actually ignoring the game.

Then again, they did pay for it, so I guess they will at least try it.

Edited by Water Mage