Mighty No. 9's release date revealed! Game released

Water Mage

Oh, was that it?

I thought the backers were actually ignoring the game.

Then again, they did pay for it, so I guess they will at least try it.

I know some people really don't care at this point and gave up n the game last year or even two years ago. I knew someone clamouring for a refund from the Dina fiasco of 2014. But yeah, my fiance is one of the people who tried to do the survey on day 1, got a broken page, and forgot about it.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging from the overwhelming popularity of Undertale, I'd say Kickstarters have been painted in a positive light by its influence, because it must be the first thing that comes to mind when we mention an indie kickstarter project.

Undertale was a kickstarter project? I had no idea.

Undertale was a kickstarter project? I had no idea.

Not only that it reached 10x its kickstarter goal well before it ever became the phenomenon it is now. However he didn't want to just throw random crap into his game so he's using the extra money to make a comic. More recently he's said that if he has enough money left over he might make a sequel.

I don't even know when or if a sequel to Undertale will come out, but I'm already more hyped for it than this game.

While true, MN9's Kickstarter played in an entirely different ballpark then Undertale. I mean, Mighty No. 9 made almost 4.000.000$ while Undertale made slightly above 50.000$. So I bet a lot of people don't know that Undertale had a Kickstarter. But Mighty No. 9's Kickstarter was a big thing in the gaming world at large. Everyone knew about it.

Nevertheless, everyone seems to be using Kickstarter these days. So I doubt that MN9 can do anything to put a significant dent in it's reputation.

Edited by BrightBow

While true, MN9's Kickstarter played in an entirely different ballpark then Undertale. I mean, Mighty No. 9 made almost 4.000.000$ while Undertale made slightly above 50.000$. So I bet a lot of people don't know that Undertale had a Kickstarter. But Mighty No. 9's Kickstarter was a big thing in the gaming world at large. Everyone knew about it.

Nevertheless, everyone seems to be using Kickstarter these days. So I doubt that MN9 can do anything to put a significant dent in it's reputation.

I feel like MN9 is going to have the exact opposite of what happened to Undertale. It got really big in the kickstarter stage, but no one will care once it comes out.

• 2 weeks later...

One interesting thing is the fact that the all console stretch goals seem to have led to a lot of the delay. This happens a lot with kickstarters. Additional coding takes time as well as money, so met stretch goals have a habbit of causing delays

• 2 weeks later...

THE GAME IS OUT AND ITS A 5.6

ITS OVER, INAFUNE'S DONE FOR.

FOUR MILLION DOLLARS AND THEY COULDN'T PAY OFF REVIEWERS TO GIVE IT A GOOD SCORE.

my friend will never get those 15 dollars back.

I'm tired of hearing the $4 million thrown around. Money=/=quality; big budget games have flopped critically too. And then there's the little factoid that the majority of that was porting costs.

And it's at a 6.0 on metacritic, formally a 6.5. People either say it's above or below average; not great, not terrible.

And in response to "Inafune's done for": Peter Molyneux. If a guy who pulled outrageous ideas out of his ass and spent 90% of his time doing PR instead of actually managing his dev team had a run of decades, Inafune's not out.

This game didn't have the look or feel of Megaman from the very beginning. I'm astonished to see people's aspirations crushed when all they did was compare M#9 to MM when it never really even looked the part from D1.

I won't be buying it for a review anytime soon; IGN/Polygon reviews do their best to make it look good but it just can't

From the review I read (GamesRadar) it sounds like the game is just really hard and punishing, constantly forcing you to restart the level. I don't how long the levels are though.

From the review I read (GamesRadar) it sounds like the game is just really hard and punishing, constantly forcing you to restart the level. I don't how long the levels are though.

Which is funny, because you have a fair few others complaining about how easy it is and that you can beat the whole game just using normal shots.

This game didn't have the look or feel of Megaman from the very beginning. I'm astonished to see people's aspirations crushed when all they did was compare M#9 to MM when it never really even looked the part from D1.

I won't be buying it for a review anytime soon; IGN/Polygon reviews do their best to make it look good but it just can't

I wouldn't quite say Day 1, but after the kickstarter got off the ground and gameplay concepts and stuff was shown people really shouldn't have been expecting a cut and dry Mega Man successor.

Nevertheless, that's what they promoted it as at the start, and in a way this is deserved.

For what it's worth, Yooka-Laylee and Blood stained and Indivisible already have investors to get the ball rolling and much tighter scheduling and less time spent on franchising. They probably have larger budgets than what they kick-started. MN9 probably did too but it went towards porting...

I feel bad for IntiCreates in all of this really, having to deal with Deep Silver and Inafune's shit when they developed some fairly tight gameplay. The engine is absolutely garbage in terms of optimization though, can't even stay at a stable 60 FPS despite the uninspired and bland visuals.

I don't know how can people defend this. Mighty No.9 will go down as one of the biggest scams in video game history.

That's drastically overselling things.

People funded the game, and it came out; it just ended up having a lot of rough edges. Just because it isn't that great doesn't mean it's a "scam" in any sense of the word. It's not like the devs spent half the money on completely unrelated things; they bit off way more than they could chew with all the ports and online functionality.

I have no plans to buy it; I'm just a bit tired of seeing all the overblown hate for this. The critics have spoken, and the game is pretty meh; that's the risk you run with kickstarted games.

That's drastically overselling things.

People funded the game, and it came out; it just ended up having a lot of rough edges. Just because it isn't that great doesn't mean it's a "scam" in any sense of the word. It's not like the devs spent half the money on completely unrelated things; they bit off way more than they could chew with all the ports and online functionality.

I have no plans to buy it; I'm just a bit tired of seeing all the overblown hate for this. The critics have spoken, and the game is pretty meh; that's the risk you run with kickstarted games.

Are you seriously victim-blaming? The devs promised tons of things and delivered almost nothing. Game runs and plays like crap, backers are getting their codes late, rewards that haven't been shipped, people getting DLC codes but not the actual code for the game, people getting invalid codes, insane loading times (Wii U version takes 30 seconds to load a level!).

It doesn't matter if it is a scam or not. It will most definitely be seen as one. As someone who has contributed to many Kickstarters I can assure I've never felt so ripped off. Shovel Knight delivered. Tadpole Treble delivered. Heart Forth Alicia and Shantae Half-Genie Hero are on cue to deliver what they promised. There is no excuse for M#9 to screw over this badly, specially to all the people who made this happen. Sorry, but "Well, you took a risk when you backed it" is not a valid excuse.

Are you seriously victim-blaming? The devs promised tons of things and delivered almost nothing. Game runs and plays like crap, backers are getting their codes late, rewards that haven't been shipped, people getting DLC codes but not the actual code for the game, people getting invalid codes, insane loading times (Wii U version takes 30 seconds to load a level!).

It doesn't matter if it is a scam or not. It will most definitely be seen as one. As someone who has contributed to many Kickstarters I can assure I've never felt so ripped off. Shovel Knight delivered. Tadpole Treble delivered. Heart Forth Alicia and Shantae Half-Genie Hero are on cue to deliver what they promised. There is no excuse for M#9 to screw over this badly, specially to all the people who made this happen. Sorry, but "Well, you took a risk when you backed it" is not a valid excuse."

"It will most definitely be seen as one"

I've seen nobody outside of a couple of irate backers go so far to call it a scam, and this is from the likes of Gamefaqs and Neogaf. The consensus among most of those who've actually played it is that it's "not a bad game per se; just disappointing".

There were signs early on that it wasn't going to be a complete Mega Man clone; even then, I'm not justifying the overall rough edges to the project. That just seems to be poor management; nevertheless, calling it a "scam" is massively overblowing things.

Sorry that it turned out the way it did; as somebody outside the project looking in, I was expecting the game to be a disappointment in one form or another. It was massively hyped up and tried to do too much.

While some anger is certainly justified, I find the extent some take it to be a bit much. It's not a "terrible" game; it's just... not a very good one.

Really, I shouldn't have involved myself in this; I have no attachments to the project, only opinions.

Edited by The DanMan

"It will most definitely be seen as one"

I've seen nobody outside of a couple of irate backers go so far to call it a scam, and this is from the likes of Gamefaqs and Neogaf. The consensus among most of those who've actually played it is that it's "not a bad game per se; just disappointing".

There were signs early on that it wasn't going to be a complete Mega Man clone; even then, I'm not justifying the overall rough edges to the project. That just seems to be poor management; nevertheless, calling it a "scam" is massively overblowing things.

Sorry that it turned out the way it did; as somebody outside the project looking in, I was expecting the game to be a disappointment in one form or another. It was massively hyped up and tried to do too much.

While some anger is certainly justified, I find the extent some take it to be a bit much. It's not a "terrible" game; it's just... not a very good one.

Really, I shouldn't have involved myself in this; I have no attachments to the project, only opinions.

The scam comments aren't limited to "a couple of irate backers". Go read the Kickstarter comments. They're all over the place.

And the game is "Just disappointing"? Dude, look what happens when you redeem DLC in the PS4 version:

CldRWv0VYAEgYIH.jpg

I mean, how do you even let something like this happen?

Another thing that pissed people off is that it could have at least, looked great,

Remeber the Yooka-Laylee/Mighty No. 9 comparison picture I posted?

Here's an interesting info:

Yooka-Laylee runs on Unity Engine

Mighty No.9 runs on Unreal Engine 3

With this in mind, look at the comparison picture again.

Don't try to tell that Mighty No.9 wasn't a sloppy work.

Edited by Water Mage

Another thing that pissed people off is that it could have at least, looked great,

Remeber the Yooka-Laylee/Mighty No. 9 comparison picture I posted?

Here's an interesting info:

Yooka-Laylee runs on Unity Engine

Mighty No.9 runs on Unreal Engine 3

With this in mind, look at the comparison picture again.

Don't try to tell that Mighty No.9 wasn't a sloppy work.

The comparison isn't quite there, as the Unity Engine is more up-to-date than UE3 and tailored for indies. Though even compared to other games made in UE3, MN9 is not impressive. Really, being a primarily handheld gamer for most of my life graphics are the last thing I look at with games (despite them being technically the first one).

The scam comments aren't limited to "a couple of irate backers". Go read the Kickstarter comments. They're all over the place.

And the game is "Just disappointing"? Dude, look what happens when you redeem DLC in the PS4 version:

CldRWv0VYAEgYIH.jpg

I mean, how do you even let something like this happen?

Well, I stand corrected: it's not "a couple" irate backers.

As for the DLC glitching things up... I got nothing. They screwed up in multiple regards.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/06/even_if_itrs_not_perfect_itrs_better_than_nothing_says_mighty_no_9_creator_keiji_inafune

"W-w-w-w-w-well atleast its b-b-b-b-better then nothing r-r-right guys?"

this dude is konami tier by this point, mighty number pachinko when?

Mighty Number 9? More like Failure Number 9 am I right guys!?