What Country Would You Base A Region Off Of?

CooledEvergreen

The Chile thing could be easily changed to Argentine, though. It has similar geography to Chile in some places, and is actually quite diverse, from the Plata River Basin to Patagonia. It would also be unique in having an ice region in the South.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they were to use Chile it has potential. Like Groudon is able to create land, maybe they can have Chile and a new pokemon that has powers akin to Groudon (or groudon itself) create some land off the coast. This is pretty far-fetched as I'd doubt they'd want to give another pokemon an ability similar to Groudon.

Edit: I'd honestly prefer if they used Brazil. Amazon jungle would make for some killer pokemon.

Edited by JasonMendez

The Chile thing could be easily changed to Argentine, though. It has similar geography to Chile in some places, and is actually quite diverse, from the Plata River Basin to Patagonia. It would also be unique in having an ice region in the South.

This is a possibility, yeah. I'd like that better than just Chile, personally.

Sorry, I derped. I meant shape in my previous post, not size >_>

While I can see the importance of it, I still feel that shape shouldn't be the top factor. If a country has a lot of potential but the only thing that's stopping it is size then I'd say going a little off the walls with the region shape should be allowed, especially if it's for gameplay purposes, and if the dev thing can really make something unique out of it.

Yeah, true, if the devs did come up with some creativity, it could still work, I suppose.

I think the Denmark/Sweden area would be pretty cool. Around Copenhagen and stuff?

Here

I would be very happy with this with Norway, Finland and Iceland thrown into the mix for the full Northern Europe / Scandinavia. Bring in the glorious water, grass and ice types for me!

Edited by Sylphid

Regarding the Chile talk...

You know, considering that the regions don't have to follow the scale (compare the areas covered by Unova and Kalos, for example), topography (take for example that Unova has mountains, even though the closest mountain to NYC is like about over 100 miles away), and sometimes not even cardinal orientation (Hoenn is 90 degrees flipped counterclockwise from Kyushu) of their Earth counterparts, even if a hypothetical region was just Chile, it wouldn't mean it had to be a straight line. They could zoom in enough to have enough room, or even not have a mountain range limiting movement east.

Same principle applies for pretty much anywhere around the world.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

it's not a country but, the southern states

theres a lot a varitey in land and the critters around here

edit: if we have a region based in Chile will Master Enex be a gym leader?

if so, what type?

Edited by Captain Karnage

Back on Nuzforums, there were some people who were putting together a (now defunct) Romhack that would be based off of Italy. The possibilities of such a region would be amazing to see. Piza, Verona, and with a villainous team based on La Cosa Nostra (Team Rocket doesn't count, only Giovanni has an Italian name, and even then, his son doesn't).

There kind of isn't any room for more Japan, unless your a Japanese Imperialist, in which case sure, make a game set in the Glorious Niponese Colony of Korea, I'm sure that will go over well.

I actually wished that overseas (as in non-Japanese) main-game regions existed from as early as Gen 3, like what happened to the third game of Yokai Watch. Hawaii (and hopefully Alola; alternately Queensland or Guam-Saipan) would have been a better region as a tropical-based Gen 3 region than Hoenn/Kyushu. This would also mean that Gen 4 would have been, say, Finland, as opposed to Sinnoh. (Though at least Sinnoh seems all right when I see on its own.)

Middle East! Before battle, you have to pray to Allah first and all the final boss will be an extremist who wants to summon Arceus. There's no Gym Master but Faction Leader, you have to beat them to get their "holy hair of Muhammad". There will be alot of fire type pokemon and instead of bug trainers, we will have trainers who spam Electrode .

I think that the UK is definitely where Gen VIII needs to go. The UK is such a fun place and it could make for a Rey enjoyable region. I hope we get lots of train related stuff out of it.

Middle East! Before battle, you have to pray to Allah first and all the final boss will be an extremist who wants to summon Arceus. There's no Gym Master but Faction Leader, you have to beat them to get their "holy hair of Muhammad". There will be alot of fire type pokemon and instead of bug trainers, we will have trainers who spam Electrode .

So low-key racism? Okay then.

Nah this racism is so hard it's used to cut diamonds. Not sure if parody but the Middle East is a good idea. Making the evil team religious extremists would be fine if a bit cliche. Alternately, base them off of the Baathists and Nasserists. I suppose the problem with the Middle East is that it's politically divided, and culturally very much diverse. I'd want a region based in Persia, but not the later Muslim Dynasties; I want some good wholesome Achaemenid, Parthian and Sassanid family entertainment, dammit. Seriously though, Persia would be a good location for a region. You could even include a city based on Bahrain! The best part is that the Suadis already ban Pokemon, so you aren't even removing a potential market.

people of the thread, please do not make posts like these. they aren't funny.

EDIT: also people of the thread, if you're going to make cracks about "wow racist jokes" please report them, i don't have time to troll into all the threads so i miss shit like that a lot.

Edited by Integrity

I'm all for adding deeper themes in Poke'mon, but I don't think racism or religious extremism would add much other than make it offensive to many and bog it down with unneeded details. Poke'mon is it's own thing and world and it doesn't need our problems to make it relatable or interesting.

I actually agree with many others here that the Middle East would make a VERY interesting region geographically. So much there. Of course, GF I doubt would have any blatant terrorist references anywhere. Even the slightest one would be a bad move, so geographic inspiration would be the main focus of using it.

I don't know what country I'd base a region off of, but I know what one would be funny. Missouri, U.S.A., you'd go through all the cornfields finding pokemon, and battle corn farmers. You'd find fire types in the summer, and ice types in the winter with a weather system that's completely nonsensical.

Actually, my headcanon and my upcoming Pokémon fanfic with a fictional history for Poke-Japan has Team Rocket being a right-wing extremist group who wants to see a revival of the Poke-Japanese empire. Team Flare would be another extremist organization who wants to revive the pre-War French Imperialism. (Would they be Gaullists? Or something else?)

On a more on-topic note, I'd would have liked to see a side game that features multiple regions. A couple may be from the existing main game regions (eg Saffron, Goldenrod, Castelia, and Lumiose) while other would be the Pokeverse equivalent of San Francisco, or London, or other cities with basic geography and landmarks based on our real-life world cities. In fact I kind of wish the Pikachu detective game would be something like this.

Edited by henrymidfields

Actually, my headcanon and my upcoming Pokémon fanfic with a fictional history for Poke-Japan has Team Rocket being a right-wing extremist group who wants to see a revival of the Poke-Japanese empire. Team Flare would be another extremist organization who wants to revive the pre-War French Imperialism. (Would they be Gaullists? Or something else?)On a more on-topic note, I'd would have liked to see a side game that features multiple regions. A couple may be from the existing main game regions, while other would be San Francisco, or London, or other cities with basic geography and landmarks based on our real-life world cities. In fact I kind of wish the Pikachu detective game would be something like this.

Nah, you've been reading too much of my timeline. De Guall wasn't a nationalist. Team Flare being Fascists actually makes perfect sense though; their rhetoric is essentially that the world is running out of resources, there isn't enough to go around, and the chosen will survive. That's almost word for word original Lebensraum theory, which was the ideology of the Nazis.

Nah, you've been reading too much of my timeline. De Guall wasn't a nationalist. Team Flare being Fascists actually makes perfect sense though; their rhetoric is essentially that the world is running out of resources, there isn't enough to go around, and the chosen will survive. That's almost word for word original Lebensraum theory, which was the ideology of the Nazis.

Holy shit. Kalos was my favourite region, and now I like it even more as an alternative Poke-France! I know Nazism in the 1930s also had scenes in both Blah!-and-RL!Britain (in both cases, Oswald Moseley, of course) and in RL!France. Who would be the leader of whatever Fascist movement there was in France?

Edited by henrymidfields

Holy shit. Kalos was my favourite region, and now I like it even more as an alternative Poke-France! I know Nazism in the 1930s also had scenes in both Blah!-and-RL!Britain (in both cases, Oswald Moseley, of course) and in RL!France. Who would be the leader of whatever Fascist movement there was in France?

In Pokemon? I don't know, Lysandre? The way Team Flare is referred to makes me think that Kalos never experienced a government like them, otherwise they'd probably be outlawed. In my Framce? Well, Emperor Napoleon IV was the head of state and a moderate Fascist (racial supremacy but no genocide; more like ultranationalist and milking his family name) and his PM was Eugene Deloncle.

In Pokemon? I don't know, Lysandre? The way Team Flare is referred to makes me think that Kalos never experienced a government like them, otherwise they'd probably be outlawed. In my Framce? Well, Emperor Napoleon IV was the head of state and a moderate Fascist (racial supremacy but no genocide; more like ultranationalist and milking his family name) and his PM was Eugene Deloncle.

...sorry, I meant France in Real Life.

...sorry, I meant France in Real Life.

Real life: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Française

It started out as Proto Fascism seeking revenge against the German Empire, but morphed into Fascism in the 30s. I'll just leave the link since we're so off topic.

I would base a region off of either just Scotland or the entire Great Britain. I once visited Great Britain and it was fantastic. It would especially be interesting to see a city/town in the game based on Edinburgh.

Edited by vanguard333