More Unpopular Fire Emblem Opinions

Rezzy

I worry about this too. It's not that fans wouldn't have loved an involved story that required three games to explore in its entirety, but when you make three games that have enough story content for one game when all taken together, people are going to notice. When you compromise all of your themes, characterization and story comprehension for the sake of fan service, people are going to notice. When you hype a celebrity writer who evidently doesn't have enough time to be closely involved with the game development, people are going to notice.

It would be a big shame if IS couldn't realize their own mistakes and only came to the conclusion "Ah, FE fans don't like intricate stories."

"Fan service" as in battle panties is probably going to be dependent on the current artist/art director. The "fan service" that we will certainly get more of is idolized avatars, marriage and children, because those DO make the game sell well, even if they don't make the game necessarily better.

I wonder... How far will Maeda go in the next game?

I'm afraid of how would be the next Fire Emblem... May the franchise lose its identity for the fanservice's sake? (And the actual fanservice to the old fans reserved to just see the Old Characters in Smash and Some DLC)

Edited by Troykv

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Replying to the original:

I prefer single RNG too - that just makes more sense that the % you see is the % you get.

I freaking love Micaiah - I want more magic main characters.

Shurikens are DEFINITELY OP - is that really an unpopular opinion? Especially combined with poison strike.

My own addition:

I haven't mingled with the community at large much, so this may not be as unpopular as i think, but from the few encounters i have had so far, apparently Snipers and Generals are thought of as poor units - they're my favourite physical classes.

I haven't mingled with the community at large much, so this may not be as unpopular as i think, but from the few encounters i have had so far, apparently Snipers and Generals are thought of as poor units - they're my favourite physical classes.

Depends on the game. Generals are only bad in games with large, open maps. Snipers are best used in games that aren't enemy phase based or Thracia 776.

Depends on the game. Generals are only bad in games with large, open maps. Snipers are best used in games that aren't enemy phase based or Thracia 776.

Makes sense, but are there any games that have an over-abundance of open maps? I've only played the English ones, minus PoR. I still find them useful as the "draw them in" unit for slower or reinforcement-heavy maps, regardless of openness.

On Snipers - surely the player can make the game player/enemy-phase based depending on their play style? Again, haven't played all of them (including 776), so there may be some extreme examples i haven't seen.

Makes sense, but are there any games that have an over-abundance of open maps? I've only played the English ones, minus PoR. I still find them useful as the "draw them in" unit for slower or reinforcement-heavy maps, regardless of openness.

On Snipers - surely the player can make the game player/enemy-phase based depending on their play style? Again, haven't played all of them (including 776), so there may be some extreme examples i haven't seen.

Maps in Genealogy and to a far lesser extent Binding Blade are very big.

Genealogy has 12 maps that span about half the continent when put together. Needless to say, the game is horse emblem.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

Maps in Genealogy and to a far lesser extent Binding Blade are very big.

Genealogy has 12 maps that span about half the continent. Needless to say, the game is horse emblem.

Ha! Fair enough :P At least horses/pegasi are pretty common

Replying to the original:

I prefer single RNG too - that just makes more sense that the % you see is the % you get.

I freaking love Micaiah - I want more magic main characters.

Shurikens are DEFINITELY OP - is that really an unpopular opinion? Especially combined with poison strike.

My own addition:

Yay! Micaiah Love!

Generals are always bad units in Efficient Runs... In no-Efficent Run they can perfectly work unless the game has really big maps and this class of units are outclassed. This happens in FE4 and FE6. these games are OVERALL designed against them,

Personally I think FE6 is even worse with so many fast and magic enemy units and be completely outclassed for the Dragon Knight Class... I can assure you that most of the people would prefer Zeiss (the last Dragon Knight and the worst of them) over Bors (the First Knight and the best of them). In fact... You would prefer a Swordmaster (Like FE7, FE6 is friendly with dodge-tank) to tank in this game over a Knight... They just can't do a thing with the enemy be so fast and strong to just make the defense difference pointless.

The Snipers has heavy problems to gain experience if the game is so Enemy-Turn Focused... Games where the enemy quality is so bad that the juggernaunts with Ranged Weapons always will do follow-ups and destroy the enemy.

Fire Emblem 3/12, Fire Emblem 5 and Fire Emblem 6 are more kind with the archer units because of the higher focus in the Player Turn.

Edited by Troykv

Generals are always bad units in Efficient Runs... In no-Efficent Run they can perfectly work unless the game has really big maps and this class of units are outclassed. This happens in FE4 and FE6. these games are OVERALL designed against them,

The Snipers has heavy problems to gain experience if the game is so Enemy-Turn Focused... Games where the enemy quality is so bad that the juggernaunts with Ranged Weapons always will do follow-ups and destroy the enemy.

Fire Emblem 3/12, Fire Emblem 5 and Fire Emblem 6 are more kind with the archer units because of the higher focus in the Player Turn.

Oh, yeah, I'm not even going to try arguing generals in speed runs - I've never made an attempt at one, so that may be part of why i still love the big shiny dastards :P

And yeah, snipers are not great enemy-phase units on their own, but plant them behind a general, r on the edge of a two-range enemy, and they can go to town. Ironically, I've never played 3/12,5 or 6.

Edited by thyrandomninja

6 and 10 had the best bows of the games I've played, though for different reasons (6 had lots of enemy wyverns and bows got a x3 multiplier against them, while in 10 Marksmen always had 3 range available).

Apparently they're even better in 14, but I wouldn't know beyond what I've seen in LP's and stats, which is heavy nerfs to 1-2 range Swords/Axes/Lances in general and the addition of special 1-2 bows and Point Blank.

So archers aren't always screwed... just easy to screw over.

6 and 10 had the best bows of the games I've played, though for different reasons (6 had lots of enemy wyverns and bows got a x3 multiplier against them, while in 10 Marksmen always had 3 range available).

Apparently they're even better in 14, but I wouldn't know beyond what I've seen in LP's and stats, which is heavy nerfs to 1-2 range Swords/Axes/Lances in general and the addition of special 1-2 bows and Point Blank.

So archers aren't always screwed... just easy to screw over.

Archers are good in 14, so long as their name is Takumi or your playing Conquest. Conquest is highly player phase oriented, but Birthrout is very enemy phase focused. Takumi's still good in that route tho simply because of his pref.

Bows are a Godsend on some of Conquest's more difficult maps such as ten or the one where you fight Hinoka.

On top of all of their other buffs, if you use the Spy's Yumi with Point Blank bow users in Fates have an effective 1-3 range. It's slightly dampened by the Spy Yumi being pretty bad otherwise, which skills can help with, and the lack of doubling which isn't an issue.

EDIT: More (possibly) unpopular opinions:

-Kris is by far the least awful of the three Avatars, though I still wouldn't call him good.

-Shadow Dragon and New Mystery were the closest the reclass system came to being balanced.

Edited by AzureSen

-Shadow Dragon and New Mystery were the closest the reclass system came to being balanced.

I would like to see something like the SD/NMoE reclass again... But with characters with actual mag/res growths xD

It would be a big shame if IS couldn't realize their own mistakes and only came to the conclusion "Ah, FE fans don't like intricate stories."

I can only hope they're not that incompetent, but after Fates, I can't say I've got too much faith in them. Of course, since they're not the best writers, perhaps it's better go for a simpler story and just do it well, rather than trying to add a bunch of random elements to it and hope it works out.

"Fan service" as in battle panties is probably going to be dependent on the current artist/art director. The "fan service" that we will certainly get more of is idolized avatars, marriage and children, because those DO make the game sell well, even if they don't make the game necessarily better.

I realize that the avatar is likely here to stay, but I'm not sure they're going to be more idolized than Corrin. I also don't think the next installment wil lfeature a second generation, given the lukewarm reception of them in Fates. They seem to really, really rely on fan reactions considering it's how they decide who gets large roles in other media and extra art in the DLC.

If you can have kids in FE15, then I can only hope they at least learned that they have to be connected to the plot, otherwise a lot of people won't care (they might care about the characters, but not the fact that they're the second generation).

- I thought that the stories in Fire Emblem were never really good, so seeing Fates' story is more par for the course rather than it being something that's jarringly bad.

- I actually like the avatar system because I like being able to build a team around a custom unit rather than just getting a unit at the start that generally uses swords.

-

- I actually like the avatar system because I like being able to build a team around a custom unit rather than just getting a unit at the start that generally uses swords.

I'm guessing you're an advocate of trying to select your own weapon since all avatars have had swords to this point with Robin being split in the middle in Awakening and more magical in other iterations (Smash and Fates)

I know I'd love being able to use lances in my canon class.

I'm guessing you're an advocate of trying to select your own weapon since all avatars have had swords to this point with Robin being split in the middle in Awakening and more magical in other iterations (Smash and Fates)

I know I'd love being able to use lances in my canon class.

Yes. That's exactly what I'd want. That's why I actually kind of like Kris gameplay wise. You want to be an archer? Sure. Be one. You want to be a mage? That's fine too.

- I thought that the stories in Fire Emblem were never really good, so seeing Fates' story is more par for the course rather than it being something that's jarringly bad.

I agree with these

Its not an impopular opinion in the sense it gets a negative reaction but its probably shared by very little people, so I say it counts.

I think Azel from geneology is one of the better characters and that he deserves more recognition. His relation with Alvis, his heritage and how his personality could play off against his more confident friends makes him one of the more interesting characters. His kinda girly looks would in theory also strike a cord with the Japanese. Yet he didn't get a figurine, didn't receive a spotpass or DLC appearance in Awakening(particulary noteworthy because he lost that place in favor of the likes of Lakche who's only barely not a clone and Arden who's Arden) and while its to soon to say for sure Azel seems likely to miss out on a Chipher card as well which indicates a lack of interest of the Japanese, if not the general fanbase in Azel's character.

Its not an impopular opinion in the sense it gets a negative reaction but its probably shared by very little people, so I say it counts.

I think Azel from geneology is one of the better characters and that he deserves more recognition. His relation with Alvis, his heritage and how his personality could play off against his more confident friends makes him one of the more interesting characters. His kinda girly looks would in theory also strike a cord with the Japanese. Yet he didn't get a figurine, didn't receive a spotpass or DLC appearance in Awakening(particulary noteworthy because he lost that place in favor of the likes of Lakche who's only barely not a clone and Arden who's Arden) and while its to soon to say for sure Azel seems likely to miss out on a Chipher card as well which indicates a lack of interest of the Japanese, if not the general fanbase in Azel's character.

Though Lakche didn't take a spot from any Gen 1 dudes due to the Gens being separate sets, I agree with this post.

Well, he actually have to compete for that spot with the First Generation, Larcei is from the Second Generation XD

But I agree. Azel deserves more in my opinion.

Edited by Troykv

I'm going to bet slightly that Arden and Lewyn were the guys who won over Azel but for the sake of variety in the former and popularity for the latter. Generals aren't exactly cool classes and people usually don't find too much value with them in many games while Mages had something going for them a good amount of the time. They also had Arvis and Deirdre to fill in the magic niche and Lewyn filling in the Sage niche specifically which Azel would have taken but those three were more plot important characters than Azel so they would take priority.

Also I think they needed at least someone from Genealogy for Kellam to talk to and you only get one gen 1 knight in FE 4 , might as well take him. Still I will admit, it's a bit sad to see Azel take the boot.

Edited by Raguna

Unpopular Opinion: i think people whine too much about the stories in these games. Like, its one thing to criticize them a bit, but to go on at such length and expound that kind of energy on it is just...why.

Unpopular Opinion: i think people whine too much about the stories in these games. Like, its one thing to criticize them a bit, but to go on at such length and expound that kind of energy on it is just...why.

I can't speak for others but personally, I like to think about what makes stories good or bad, and how it changes my perception of other media I have consumed. I can think about what I would have liked to see and it helps me avoid pitfalls when thinking about my own creative writing. After playing Fates, for example, I have a much greater appreciation of the Tellius games and all the work that went into their design.

Discussion of literature/writing, good or bad, is a legitimately interesting topic for me.

Edited by NekoKnight

I can't speak for others but personally, I like to think about what makes stories good or bad, and how it changes my perception of other media I have consumed. I can think about what I would have liked to see and it helps me avoid pitfalls when thinking about my own creative writing. After playing Fates, for example, I have a much greater appreciation of the Tellius games and all the world that went into their design.

Discussion of literature/writing, good or bad, is a legitimately interesting topic for me.

Well sure, but im talking about how people who spend a lot of time and energy hating it all and take every opportunity to put the stories down. Like, discussing it in relevant topics, analyzing junk and comparing and having a pretty civil and cool discussion about the pitfalls of storytelling is not what im talking about.

I don't care about speed runs. I prefer to play slowly, grind as much experience as I can (without EXP DLCs or extra chapters like Fates' invasions and FE8's skirmishes), and my main enjoyment with the series is seeing a weak unit become a formidable fighter by the end of the game (or before).

Except the last point, same.