QOTD ♚♛ 1522 - Movies you don't see the appeal of?

Chen

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

discourse - you might think that's unreasonable, and it is, but i have an irrational hate for that word and that word only!! i hate it!!

QOTD 1140 - Have You Watched Spice and Wolf? submitted by Captin Karnage

2 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Nothing.  It's not the government's job to legislate morality.

I don't think this statement is correct.
Legislating morality is a major point in criminal law. Certain acts are forbidden by law because we consider them "bad", "harmful", "unjust". What is "bad", "harmful", "unjust" is defined by our morality. A society's morality is what makes its criminal law.
The reason why a lot of countries don't have laws on infidelity (anymore) is because they consider fidelity and infidelity as belonging to people's private spheres, and they believe the right to privacy to be a human right. 

That said, I personally agree that fidelity and infidelity are part of people's private spheres and as such should be protected by a right to privacy.
So if I were the ruler of a kingdom, I would have no punishment for infidelity.

10 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Nothing.  It's not the government's job to legislate morality.

A valid viewpoint, but keep in mind this attitude also strikes down a huge number of other laws: laws against incest, polygamy, public indecency, etc. and even -- if your interpretation of "legislating morality" is broad -- laws against drug use, mandating seat belt usage, and so on.

As for the question, adulterers would be forced to get a small tally-mark tattoo on their hand. Multiple violations = multiple tattoos.

8 hours ago, Hattusili I said:

I don't think this statement is correct.
Legislating morality is a major point in criminal law. Certain acts are forbidden by law because we consider them "bad", "harmful", "unjust". What is "bad", "harmful", "unjust" is defined by our morality. A society's morality is what makes its criminal law.
The reason why a lot of countries don't have laws on infidelity (anymore) is because they consider fidelity and infidelity as belonging to people's private spheres, and they believe the right to privacy to be a human right. 

That said, I personally agree that fidelity and infidelity are part of people's private spheres and as such should be protected by a right to privacy.
So if I were the ruler of a kingdom, I would have no punishment for infidelity.

"Victimless" crimes would be ones to do away with, as would ones where the only harm is hurt feelings, but no injury or loss of property.  Cheating on somebody is a terrible thing, but the line has to be drawn somewhere, and that does not cross the boundary.

3 minutes ago, Fly_or_Die said:

A valid viewpoint, but keep in mind this attitude also strikes down a huge number of other laws: laws against incest, polygamy, public indecency, etc. and even -- if your interpretation of "legislating morality" is broad -- laws against drug use, mandating seat belt usage, and so on.

As for the question, adulterers would be forced to get a small tally-mark tattoo on their hand. Multiple violations = multiple tattoos.

I think all of the above: incest and polygamy should be legal between consenting adults.  Adults can take whatever drugs they want.  The decision to wear a seat belt or not is up to whether the adult wants a higher chance of surviving a crash.  Public indecency is the only gray area, since that's a pretty broad term.  Is it someone just stumbling around drunk or a massive public orgy?  The former would be tolerated, the latter, not so much.

That sounds like "The Scarlet Letter".