Zelda U E3 Predictions - Call it Before It Happens

Captain Karnage

Well, I hope he's in Hyrule Castle or in some hard to find location. Otherwise, I'm probably going to find him long before I want to and I don't want that to happen.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I hope he's in Hyrule Castle or in some hard to find location. Otherwise, I'm probably going to find him long before I want to and I don't want that to happen.

The old guy specifically tells you where he is (Hyrule Castle) and just looking at the place makes it really obvious the old guy is correct, so I wouldn't worry at all really! Edited by Glaceon Mage

The is a giant maleficent aura over Hyrule Castle that you can see from almost anywhere in the world. It's impossible to miss. This game seems to be doing an excellent job with vantage points to see important landmarks.

Is this game looking to anyone else as an oceanless Wind Waker? The graphics are more cell shaded then realistic, the enemies are cartoony and ''cute'', You can take and use the weapons of enemies like in WW, lots of exploring, a man who people compare to Dapheses, Koroks and those blue runes in all the technology is similar to the tower of the gods.

Is this game looking to anyone else as an oceanless Wind Waker? The graphics are more cell shaded then realistic, the enemies are cartoony and ''cute'', You can take and use the weapons of enemies like in WW, lots of exploring, a man who people compare to Dapheses, Koroks and those blue runes in all the technology is similar to the tower of the gods.

It's unlikely to be a prequel to Wind Waker,

One of the major reasons as to why Hyrule was flooded was because Link didn't appear to defeat Ganon.

It does have some Wind Waker-like elements, but there seems to be a bit more to it than TWW's Ocean.

It's unlikely to be a prequel to Wind Waker,

One of the major reasons as to why Hyrule was flooded was because Link didn't appear to defeat Ganon.

Zelda and timeline splits aren't exactly unfamiliar with each other. I could see this game causing more timeline splits.

Actually, there's a theoretical split in every game considering the Decline timeline exists at all. Ocarina's "failure line" is just the only one we actually see.

I do think the art style is much closer to wind waker's full-on cell shading than skyword sword's hybrid stuff.

Keep in mind that these are prototype game assets, I'm pretty sure that stuff like the water that link wakes up in will end up being made prettier (compare it to the waterfalls outside and such outside) and a couple clothing choices will be made softer and less crisp, since they kind of clash with the rest of the game.

I'm a little worried that this will have animation glitches. Not on the level of assassin's creed or anything, but I imagine that the wall climbing would freak out if you climbed into the corner of wall and ceiling, or tried to tackle something weirdly curved like a stalactite or the curved "lip" of some cliff faces.

I'm loving the design of the world; the old ruins and the creepy, magical technology look absolutely stunning.

However, I'm worried about both gameplay and story. Now, this is of course entirely subjective, but I've never been a fan of crafting (outside of World of Warcraft where I could get loads of money!), and I tend to find that open world games, especially ones with gargantuan worlds such as these, have lackluster stories and sacrifice quality for quantity; Dragon Age: Inquisition comes to mind, and I remember having to look up if I had finished Skyrim's main quest or not when I was done. I'm just afraid of another resource-gathering, crafting, exploration simulator.

Am I making any sense? I love Zelda, and I want to like the game, but I can't help but to be skeptical.

I'm loving the design of the world; the old ruins and the creepy, magical technology look absolutely stunning.

However, I'm worried about both gameplay and story. Now, this is of course entirely subjective, but I've never been a fan of crafting (outside of World of Warcraft where I could get loads of money!), and I tend to find that open world games, especially ones with gargantuan worlds such as these, have lackluster stories and sacrifice quality for quantity; Dragon Age: Inquisition comes to mind, and I remember having to look up if I had finished Skyrim's main quest or not when I was done. I'm just afraid of another resource-gathering, crafting, exploration simulator.

Am I making any sense? I love Zelda, and I want to like the game, but I can't help but to be skeptical.

Someone brought up Metroid Prime-I feel if they do a similar thing with the way the story was presented in that game, only instead of having no people we get to learn from some people and townsfolk about the story, it should be pretty good.

It all depends on how it's executed. Chrono Trigger is heralded as one of the best games ever, and that one lets you fight the final boss incredibly early.

Umm you know...you can only do that in CT if you beat the game already. Once you unlocked New Game +, you can just go straight to Lavos from the Telepod thing in the faire. On a first run, you really cant do that. In Chrono Trigger, on a first playthrough, you have a few options on how to tackle Lavos, but never from the beginning.

If this game allows you to go straight to the final boss on a first run, im finding that a bit odd. If its on subsequent playthroughs, it would make perfect sense. Go through it once, and once you did, go nuts.

Youve...never played Xenoblade Chronicles, have you? Super massive world =/= bad story. Xenoblade had this bigass world that you could free roam and stuff, but its story was excellent. BotW's E3 junk looks like it was really a prototype that they kept a lot of story elements out of as to not spoil anything. Didnt Aonuma even say so? I heard something about him saying that the NPCs of the world would reveal too much story elements so there wasnt any in the demos.

Youve...never played Xenoblade Chronicles, have you? Super massive world =/= bad story. Xenoblade had this bigass world that you could free roam and stuff, but its story was excellent. BotW's E3 junk looks like it was really a prototype that they kept a lot of story elements out of as to not spoil anything. Didnt Aonuma even say so? I heard something about him saying that the NPCs of the world would reveal too much story elements so there wasnt any in the demos.

Yeah, it's basically been established that the plot is found out by the player. You can go fight the final boss as soon as you leave that plateau, but that leaves a lot of questions that would only get answered if you explored.

The "answers" were deliberately left out of the plateau, for a combination of not spoiling things, and leaving the fans wanting more in a cliffhanger fashion.

Yeah, it's basically been established that the plot is found out by the player. You can go fight the final boss as soon as you leave that plateau, but that leaves a lot of questions that would only get answered if you explored.

The "answers" were deliberately left out of the plateau, for a combination of not spoiling things, and leaving the fans wanting more in a cliffhanger fashion.

Thats cool though, a more organic story progression. I still do find it hella weird to be able to just go and smush the final boss without doing much else on a first playthrough though. Even in OG LoZ you couldnt really do that.

As someone whos really cool with stories that unfold as you explore the world and find stuff (instead of a linear, event-by-event fashion), i find this to be very promising. Im like to spend hours on end just looking at stuff and talking to people. Oh please let me have tea with maidens in the villages, Nintendo!

I was never impressed by Xenoblade Chronicles' story. It had a fantastic setting, but there were too many things I simply found off-putting. Besides, I'm not saying it's an impossibility for a game to have a big world and a great story; I simply said that I feel that there's a correlation between larger worlds and less focus on story. Dragon Age: Inquisition needed the villain to pretty much fail everything he ever tried to do and then make a suicide charge on his own and then it was all over. Skyrim ends in the most mundane way, etc.

With any luck, it's as you say and there are a lot of story elements to be had, and if you have to find them on your own, I guess it's not too bad if it's executed well. More than anything I wish for a great Ganondorf.

Umm you know...you can only do that in CT if you beat the game already. Once you unlocked New Game +, you can just go straight to Lavos from the Telepod thing in the faire. On a first run, you really cant do that. In Chrono Trigger, on a first playthrough, you have a few options on how to tackle Lavos, but never from the beginning.

I want to point out he said incredibly early, not at the very beginning of the game. You can challenge Lavos about 2 to 3 hours in. Personally I would consider that early, but you're right about not being able to do it immediately unless you're on New Game Plus

I was never impressed by Xenoblade Chronicles' story. It had a fantastic setting, but there were too many things I simply found off-putting. Besides, I'm not saying it's an impossibility for a game to have a big world and a great story; I simply said that I feel that there's a correlation between larger worlds and less focus on story. Dragon Age: Inquisition needed the villain to pretty much fail everything he ever tried to do and then make a suicide charge on his own and then it was all over. Skyrim ends in the most mundane way, etc.

With any luck, it's as you say and there are a lot of story elements to be had, and if you have to find them on your own, I guess it's not too bad if it's executed well. More than anything I wish for a great Ganondorf.

Wow mang. You gotta sock me a PM explaining what you disliked about Xenoblade's story, because i found it to be one of the best JRPG stories ive played on a console in the last gen. It wasnt perfect, but it was pretty swell.

I think the Big Bad is called Calamity Ganon, or at least they were calling it that in the footage. No telling if thats what hes really called or anything. And something about Sheikah.

I was another that didn't find the Xenoblade story particularly compelling, but then again I thought the game was rather mediocre beyond that. I also kinda didn't finish the game and I've heard the ending was quite good so that may not have helped.

Skyrim (and the Elder Scrolls in general) isn't the type of game that had a good 'story', and didn't really even try to. It was more that the journey that was more interesting than the destination.

Edited by Tryhard

I do have a question if anyone happens to know. Did they say at the Treehouse event that there is a "proper path" a person can take? Or is it really just you wake up, then start exploring and you will discover things on your own? I mean, I know that they were avoiding story spoilers, but I didn't know if there was really a set path that you could follow.

I do have a question if anyone happens to know. Did they say at the Treehouse event that there is a "proper path" a person can take? Or is it really just you wake up, then start exploring and you will discover things on your own? I mean, I know that they were avoiding story spoilers, but I didn't know if there was really a set path that you could follow.

I think they specified that there isn't, there's so many ways that one truly proper way is basically nonexistent.

Id imagine there is a "path" thats more story consistent. Like a specific way of progressing that reveals the most story at the best times. But its likely to not be an official path or anything.

That's kind of what I thought. I think that's kind of cool, but I am really trying to wrap my head around being able to challenge the final boss so early in a game like this. Because that really sounds like it's one of those "the journey is what you make for yourself" type of things

Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

Now that I think about it, that means we will be able to tackle the dungeons in any order we want.

In Zelda games, normally the Forest, Fire and Water dungeons are earlygame, and Desert, Ice and Haunted dungeons are mid to late-game, but maybe we can make any order in this game.

We could go to an icy mountain or haunted mansion first, and the forest area could the last area in the game.

That's actually kinda cool, having the Forest dungeon as the last one.

Edited by Water Mage

You can do that in ALBW.

I know, and you can do that in ALTTP too, but even in those games, there was an order you had to follow, but in this game, it could be any order.

That's really interesting!

Wow mang. You gotta sock me a PM explaining what you disliked about Xenoblade's story, because i found it to be one of the best JRPG stories ive played on a console in the last gen. It wasnt perfect, but it was pretty swell.

I think the Big Bad is called Calamity Ganon, or at least they were calling it that in the footage. No telling if thats what hes really called or anything. And something about Sheikah.

The first half is a simple revenge plot and in general, the story is pretty stock and predictable.

Seven has no real character outside attachment to Shulk, and everybody falls into cookie-cutter stereotypes.

It suffers from SPCS (Square Plot Collapse Syndrome) towards the end, culminating in a random twist that it pulls out of nowhere and adds absolutely nothing to the plot.

It's not terrible; just pretty over-rated. Honestly, I only saw people start propping it up circa X's announcement.