am I waiting to long to get my children?

I'm on chapter 20 and I just recruited Sophie and Asagi (wasn't he in awakening?) And now I plan to go for Kanna, and oh man are they playing for keeps now! Should I have recruited them early? Also Sophie, who is Mozu's daughter is not what I thought she would be. Does the game take Aptitude into account when figuring out base stats and offspring seal bonuses?

I'm on chapter 20 and I just recruited Sophie and Asagi (wasn't he in awakening?) And now I plan to go for Kanna, and oh man are they playing for keeps now! Should I have recruited them early? Also Sophie, who is Mozu's daughter is not what I thought she would be. Does the game take Aptitude into account when figuring out base stats and offspring seal bonuses?

According to this person's test on Reddit, apparently so.

I would advise doing all of them now, espcially Shiro's.

They get much harder later.

Seriously, do Shiro's paralogue now. You will regret doing it later.

Oh, what is going on with Asagi? He looks like thief from awakening and they have the same quirk, are they the same person?

He's a reference to Gaius, but not the same person.

There are two others like that.

Before clearing Chapter 21 is when I usually aim to get all of the kids. You can Offspring Seal them to 20/6 and make them very good replacement units if someone in your team is falling a bit behind. While you can certainly do some later on (Midori and Shigure in particular), they can get pretty tense since enemies start to scale a lot faster the further along in the game you go.

Oh, what is going on with Asagi? He looks like thief from awakening and they have the same quirk, are they the same person?

It's called a character expy. There's also expies of Cordelia (known as Caeldori) and Tharja (known as Rhajat) in Fates since they, along with Gaius, were the most popular first generation non-lord characters in Awakening.

I personally don't get my kids until after I've cleared chapter 20 because then you get an offspring seal that boosts them up to a level that matches where you are at, plus they don't get stuck with rank E in weapons.

To be honest, I tend to do the children paralogues before chapter Chapter 16.

The Offspring seal is not really worth it.

It's nice, but it's not worth wating until late game to get the children. They can do just fine without.

Edited by Water Mage

To be honest, I tend to do the children paralogues before chapter Chapter 16.

The Offspring seal is not really worth it.

It's nice, but it's not worth wating until late game to get the children. They can do just fine without.

Ditto. I'd especially think waiting until they come with Offspring Seals ain't worth it on Birthright - having to walk on eggshells because most everyone dies easily is no fun.

Ditto. I'd especially think waiting until they come with Offspring Seals ain't worth it on Birthright - having to walk on eggshells because most everyone dies easily is no fun.

Now that I think about it, I think the Offspring Seal's purpose is just so you don't have to grind the children if you get them late game.

They don't the kids stronger than if they were recruited earlier or anything like that.

The only time I'd argue with the Offspring Seals is on Conquest, but that's mainly because you want to use the Chapters for more EXP (as the enemies scale with your progress) rather than the Children themselves most of the time.

Edited by Avalanche

I recruited children after 18 in my Conquest file due to finishing chapter earlier as well has having no idea the enemies become promoted after that level and it can be troubling. It saves time in grinding their levels but it can be a disadvantage as it makes the paralogues more difficult than they actually are and the child you end up saving may not be a worthy team member for the end game. Especially Ignatius' Soleil's and (to some extent) Nina's paralogues.

The only time I'd argue with the Offspring Seals is on Conquest, but that's mainly because you want to use the Chapters for more EXP (as the enemies scale with your progress) rather than the Children themselves most of the time.

Yeah, using children paralogues in Conquest might be a good way to get some level-ups.

And if you're needing money, Percy's paralogue can get you a lot of money, it might be worth it doing his chapter later.

I'd actually recommend doing Percy's Chapter fairly early, as on higher difficulties, the enemies can get crazy annoying, since tons of them have Seal Defense. It makes it really difficult for anyone not named Xander to hold a point long enough to use the Vein's to maximize the Gold earned.

I'd actually recommend doing Percy's Chapter fairly early, as on higher difficulties, the enemies can get crazy annoying, since tons of them have Seal Defense. It makes it really difficult for anyone not named Xander to hold a point long enough to use the Vein's to maximize the Gold earned.

Good point, I forgot that those guys had Seal defence.

Speaking of doing paralagues early, it's a good idea to do Ophelia's and Dwyer's paralogues early, since they have Horse Spirit and Festals.

Edited by Water Mage

Good point, I forgot that those guys had Seal defence.

Speaking of doing paralagues early, it's a good idea to do Ophelia's and Dwyer's paralogues early, since they have Horse Spirit and Festals.

Ophelia's Paralogue is an absolute treasure trove, especially for your Mages. It nets you a Horse Spirit, Lightning Tome, Calamity Gate and a Spirit Dust. Bare in mind that on Conquest, you can't buy the Horse Spirit or the Calamity Gate, so it's absolutely worth doing early. Plus, with the right mom, Ophelia can potentially be one of your best magic users.

I got all the kids after completely Chapter 18. And I was happy with the results. Shiro's paralogue is hard. I recommend getting a couple of Rescue and try to get either Sakura, Azama, or another healer up there and get Shiro out of there. Bring Ryoma with whichever healer has those Rescues.

You might have to do the same thing for Selkie's paralogue as well.

According to this person's test on Reddit, apparently so.

I could have had a misleading sample, but I was under the impression that while stat gains through Offspring Seal promotion take Aptitude into account, their base stats don't.

As for when to do the child paralogues, I think it depends on what your priorities are: If you want them to get as many children with the least effort over and above other benefits from these paralogues, then yes, getting them earlier is probably advantageous as some of them get really hard towards late game. But if you want to maximise EXP off of these paralogues, you might want to spread out these paralogues (like one after each story chapter, for instance), since enemy levels, which determine how much EXP you get off from them, depend on main game chapter progression (thought if you feel underleveled at any particular point for tackling some of the late game maps in Conquest, it may be worth going through a bunch of them just to get across the hurdle).

Also if you care about weapon ranks (especially secondary weapon ranks), it might also be worth putting them off till a bit later, since units lot only come in higher levels but also higher weapon rank with story progression. There's also the issue of deployment slots (you get a few more of them around Ch. 22-ish if I remember correctly?); if you can deal with the average of +2 levels worth of stats in enemies, then it may be worth getting them later instead of recruiting them only to wait before you use them. That said, I don't think you'd want to recruit them like after Ch.25 despite all these benefits...

Of course all this depends on how comfortable you are playing these paralogues with higher-stat enemies, as some of them, especially Shiro's and many of Conquest-exclusive paralogues, can get a bit out of hand. (not counting Revelation here)

If you know which paralogues are easy/difficult and which of the 2nd gen units you want to actually use as part of your core gameplay team after having unlocked a bunch of them, I might consider the following if actually you want to try out the whole maximising EXP reaping thing by spreading out your paralogues.

- Consider doing the hard ones sooner, and put off the easy ones for later as they'll be the more manageable ones to do later. Usually common-route paralogues tend to be the easier ones, then Hoshidan exclusives, then Nohrian ones, but this is just a general trend, and there are exceptions. (e.g. Shiro's)

- Consider recruiting those that you wish to use in core gameplay units around Ch. 19-22, since that's when they would have picked up promoted Lv. 5 skills from Offspring seals and get a decent weapon rank, but it also gives you some room to make use them and fiddle around their builds yourselves in the main game and other paralogues as well. Put off the ones you don't need to either much later in the game or do them really early if you have them available just for EXP spread.

- Consider doing the ones with material rewards or 2nd gen units with material gimmicks (e.g. Midori, Percy) sooner.

Edited by Aggro Incarnate

Doing Shiro and Ignatius paralogue are a pain, is even worse when you do it at chapter 23+

*facepalm* I'm stuck on Forrest's in Conquest right before Chapter 23. Talk about punishing. Is there any way to recruit Forrest without triggering the Locktouch Fighter?

*facepalm* I'm stuck on Forrest's in Conquest right before Chapter 23. Talk about punishing. Is there any way to recruit Forrest without triggering the Locktouch Fighter?

If you can afford an Entrap staff, you can use it after the Locktouch fighter spawns to kill it, essentially getting rid of any turn-count issues it poses.

Most of it is just rushing to the door above the boss. Personally, I always take the door on the left side, as I find it to be a lot more manageable than getting ambushed in the starting corridor. If you have the Staff and the funds, maybe give Freeze a shot? Aggro's Entrap recommendation is also a really good idea.

Edited by Avalanche