Anime & Manga

Raven

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend recommended Bokura no to me so I'm reading it at the moment.

[spoiler=Is this even a spoiler...?]http://puu.sh/2MyD8.jpg

I'm not too fond of this guy...

Hahaha, that image is hilarious. Also, I never read Bokurano, but I thought I remember hearing there was some backlsh about how the anime deviated from the manga a bit. I still thought it was handled excellently though, all the way through to the very end, so I don't really have any idea what the issue might have been. (I didn't watch while it was airing, so I missed out on events as they happened, I suppose.) Edited by Balcerzak

Also have a link in my sig. Superange, are you a fan of baseball by any chance (in anime and/or in real life)?

@RF: What's the exact difference between this thread and the other anime thread? Is this where we're actually supposed to discuss anime and manga?

Oh I'm reading Pluto right now at an irl friend's recommendation. Only like 10 chapters in but it's pretty interesting. Old school style and not really like any other manga I've read so far (though I haven't read much manga).

@RF: What's the exact difference between this thread and the other anime thread? Is this where we're actually supposed to discuss anime and manga?

Ya know...I'm not really sure. I kind of see it as this one being where people post their "collections" so to speak, like everything they've seen and perhaps general discussions, while the other is more for discussing current anime.

Yep. Link in sig.

Man I remember when this topic was created and I had seen like 10 anime series.

Good times.

Also MAL link in my sig.

Last week I watched Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S ep. 1 and Nisemonogatari (season 2 of Bakemonogatari) ep. 1, the first episodes of anime I've watched for maybe well over a year. Damn you real life, and gaming, and other countless distractions.

I found Railgun S ep. 1 a bit lackluster. I hope it picks up. But Nisemonogatari was a good laugh.

Oh I need to reply to CGV on MAL, too. Nice to hear from him.

Edited by Raven

Well I just finished watching the 3rd Evangelion Rebuild movie.

I uh.

Not sure what to say about it.

I warned you! You watched it, you can't unwatch it! Although I do think it was slightly better than 2.

Hahaha, that image is hilarious. Also, I never read Bokurano, but I thought I remember hearing there was some backlsh about how the anime deviated from the manga a bit. I still thought it was handled excellently though, all the way through to the very end, so I don't really have any idea what the issue might have been. (I didn't watch while it was airing, so I missed out on events as they happened, I suppose.)

There are a few differences, mainly in the ending.

In the anime, it's made clear that the battles are the work of some godlike entities. We get to see a shot of some robed people, but nothing more. In addition, the main character survives to the end if memory serves. There were a few other things that were kind of minor but potentially big things.

• 3 weeks later...

just managed to chase Deadman wonderland (chapter 56)...probably there'd one or 2 chapters left for the story,,

also started watching hataraku maou sama, enjoying the story well

Edited by Pukuriripo

Has anyone seen Shinkai Makoto's Garden of Words yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=udDIkl6z8X0

It came out yesterday! I've been looking forward to this for a while because man, is it pretty ;;

It also feels like a return to what Shinkai Makoto's best at; bittersweet love stories! Planning to watch this sometime later c':

Edit: Added the trailer to entice you guys to watch it hoho.

Edited by pinkbubblegum

Has anyone seen Shinkai Makoto's Garden of Words yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=udDIkl6z8X0

It came out yesterday! I've been looking forward to this for a while because man, is it pretty ;;

It also feels like a return to what Shinkai Makoto's best at; bittersweet love stories! Planning to watch this sometime later c':

Edit: Added the trailer to entice you guys to watch it hoho.

Still waiting...for an English sub...

Still waiting...for an English sub...

Oh, subs should be out already actually! They sold the Blu-Ray disks during the release and from what I know, the cds have English, Japanese and Chinese subs.

I reaaally enjoyed it though. If it wasn't obvious enough from the shoe in my display pic haha. I think it might honestly be my favorite movie of his ;;

• 2 months later...

Finished watching the six episodes of Gundam Unicorn. Now I have to painstakingly wait until spring for the final episode to come out. Really the show and the soundtrack was great.

Watching SAO right now.

1) LOL what is the point of even have Teleport Crystals when they never fucking work in dire situations? Ever? Trapped in an ice pit a powerful dragon lives in? Won't work. Trapped in a small room with 50 enemies? Nope. Fighting a boss that's too powerful? Nope, fuck off and die. It's Episode 8 already and time skipped 2 years ahead already and I've never seen teleport crystals used in a practical manner. And yet these people haven't caught on and taken precautions yet, lol

2) I find it hard to believe that some of these characters are the type to go out of their way to buy a game like this close to release.

3) Action scenes could be better and honestly Asuna is already getting annoying. Kirito is a bit OP and I don't really particularly like or care about any of the characters. I'll probably drop it at episode 10 because I don't really feel compelled to watch the next episode.

4) Just how many NPCs are in this world? This late in the game I'd imagine there'd only be like a couple thousand players left at most but the arena is full. There are probably 100 real people at most in the arena watching.

Edited by loser-kun

I'm currently rewatching Code Geass and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, i'm watching Soul Eater (about half way through), Naruto ( just to see how the english voices for certain characters are), Fairy Tail (when the next batch of 12 episodes is released). I'm reading Naruto and Fairy Tail while waiting for this terrible 7 week break to end as I want more Bleach.

I'm currently hooked on Oyasumi Punpun. 70 chapters in a few hours, still plugging through.

The manga is thoroughly dark and horrible, but also pretty damn enlightening.

It focuses on the life of a young boy and his family. Since it's viewed from his perception, they're all representated as ducks.

The real magic of it though is how it goes through their perspectives; identifying how easy it is to lose yourself, fail to communicate, miss other peoples' concerns, do something stupid, blame yourself...

When I first read it, it seemed like it just had a really depraved sense of humour. But once it starts to pick up, it's full of life lessons and reminders that we need to worry less about the past.

I've been watching a loooot of anime lately, especially when compared to the previous few years. I think right now I'm working on Love Lab, Blood Lad, Railgun S, Megami-Hen, and Watamote lately. Usually I only watch like one anime a year but now I'm watching 5 simultaneously?

Love Lab is a pretty solid comedy. Blood Lad reminds me of Maou-Sama, especially with the main characters being a leader of the underworld, are powerful, and are even voiced by the game person. It has more of a plot than Maou-Sama but I still think it isn't as good. Fuyumi doesn't do anything and she just seems like a background character plucked from some random ecchi anime and placed in this one. She's rather useless and I have no investment in her at all.

Railgun S has been pretty interesting so far and I don't really have many complaints. There's a lot less filler this time so that's great.

Watamote is entertaining in the sense that it's so relatable. I used to be pretty bad at socializing too and I still find myself today running into similar situations. I'm nowhere near as bad as Kuroki nor was I even back then, but I was still pretty bad. I find it hard to watch sometimes because of all the embarrassing bits. I have a bit of a weakness to secondhand embarrassment.

Edited by loser-kun

Watching SAO right now.

1) LOL what is the point of even have Teleport Crystals when they never fucking work in dire situations? Ever? Trapped in an ice pit a powerful dragon lives in? Won't work. Trapped in a small room with 50 enemies? Nope. Fighting a boss that's too powerful? Nope, fuck off and die. It's Episode 8 already and time skipped 2 years ahead already and I've never seen teleport crystals used in a practical manner. And yet these people haven't caught on and taken precautions yet, lol

2) I find it hard to believe that some of these characters are the type to go out of their way to buy a game like this close to release.

3) Action scenes could be better and honestly Asuna is already getting annoying. Kirito is a bit OP and I don't really particularly like or care about any of the characters. I'll probably drop it at episode 10 because I don't really feel compelled to watch the next episode.

4) Just how many NPCs are in this world? This late in the game I'd imagine there'd only be like a couple thousand players left at most but the arena is full. There are probably 100 real people at most in the arena watching.]

Well we warned you that it wasn't very good lol

I've been watching a loooot of anime lately, especially when compared to the previous few years. I think right now I'm working on Love Lab, Blood Lad, Railgun S, Megami-Hen, and Watamote lately. Usually I only watch like one anime a year but now I'm watching 5 simultaneously?

Love Lab is a pretty solid comedy. Blood Lad reminds me of Maou-Sama, especially with the main characters being a leader of the underworld, are powerful, and are even voiced by the game person. It has more of a plot than Maou-Sama but I still think it isn't as good. Fuyumi doesn't do anything and she just seems like a background character plucked from some random ecchi anime and placed in this one. She's rather useless and I have no investment in her at all.

Railgun S has been pretty interesting so far and I don't really have many complaints. There's a lot less filler this time so that's great.

Watamote is entertaining in the sense that it's so relatable. I used to be pretty bad at socializing too and I still find myself today running into similar situations. I'm nowhere near as bad as Kuroki nor was I even back then, but I was still pretty bad. I find it hard to watch sometimes because of all the embarrassing bits. I have a bit of a weakness to secondhand embarrassment.

Pretty much agree with everything here except I'm not really a fan of Love Lab (maybe it's cuz I'm a guy?) and Watamote is pretty funny but I don't think I enjoy it as much as everyone else since I can't really relate to Kuroki.

Anyone read Monster here? I'm thinking of reading it since it has quite the rep.

Watching SAO right now.

4) Just how many NPCs are in this world? This late in the game I'd imagine there'd only be like a couple thousand players left at most but the arena is full. There are probably 100 real people at most in the arena watching.

1.) I'm not sure since I haven't watched it in awhile but don't they just not work during combat? That would explain all of these events and also make complete sense in the realm of an online game.

2.) Why? I don't see why any of the characters wouldn't buy a VR game like this.

3.) Seriously. I mean I guess I was cool with Kirito being pretty powerful since he played the beta version of the game but I never really felt like he was in danger in most parts.

4.) There were several thousand to begin with. If we think of the entire game as having one ridiculously large mega-server and this was on an opening day for an insanely popular game, there could easily have been millions trapped in the game. Many of them succumb to death from progressing and getting killed by mobs, but it's explained later that several simply gave up and stayed in the hub cities to live a life in SAO. At one point in an episode Kirito investigates a mysterious murder in one of the hubs. It was a really cool concept and I wish they would have expanded more on how people are living and acting now that they've decided to treat it as escapism.

I'm currently hooked on Oyasumi Punpun. 70 chapters in a few hours, still plugging through.

The manga is thoroughly dark and horrible, but also pretty damn enlightening.

It focuses on the life of a young boy and his family. Since it's viewed from his perception, they're all representated as ducks.

The real magic of it though is how it goes through their perspectives; identifying how easy it is to lose yourself, fail to communicate, miss other peoples' concerns, do something stupid, blame yourself...

When I first read it, it seemed like it just had a really depraved sense of humour. But once it starts to pick up, it's full of life lessons and reminders that we need to worry less about the past.

...! Oh man, I really like Oyasumi Punpun too. It's a really good read and it gets really dark and heavy at some points... At the moment, I'm kind of wondering where the parts with Seki and Shimizu's even headed;;;

When you get to volume 11 though. Things with Punpun get pretty crazy... orz